Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectsputter?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=111828
111828, sputter?
Posted by keislij, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So the other day i was driving my car, the battery died that day, (has a small drain) anyway i jumped it, and all was well. then i started driving on the highway. and the car would literally feel like it was getting a fuel shortage (felt like missing almost) around 2600-3200 rpms, that whole range. so i get to work and decide that to be safe i would disconnect the neg battery cable so i dont get stranded. then on the way home it ran like a champ. But yesterday i decided to take out the stereo so i disconnected the Neg battery cable and then drove to work today and it sputtered again. so i did what fixed it last time and disconnected it. and it worked.

What do you think may be causing this???
111829, RE: sputter?
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any check engine light?
111830, RE: sputter?
Posted by mreigle, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Our cars love a full charge on the battery and lots of cranking amps. If you have a parasitic drain on your batery then you will have issues until you fix the drain and replace the battery if needed.

111831, RE: sputter?
i was getting the P0401. I replaced the EGR and cleared codes, havent had a CEL for awhile but i did get one last night. I'm not exactly sure which, i dont have an OBD handy
111832, RE: sputter?
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by keislij
i was getting the P0401. I replaced the EGR and cleared codes, havent had a CEL for awhile but i did get one last night. I'm not exactly sure which, i dont have an OBD handy

Hows your grounds, IAC IAT fuel pump, something might be dirty
111833, RE: sputter?
i havent checked grounds iac or iat, fuel pump was just replaced what could i do about grounds??
111834, RE: sputter?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by keislij
fuel pump was just replaced

ding ding ding! Newly installed part and then you start having issues? Well, that would be a good place to start... Esp since you said it's sputtering like it has NO FUEL. lol
111835, RE: sputter?
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
try to get ahold of that OBD scanner and get the code and check the code under the DTC chart on here
111836, RE: sputter?
ha good point eclipz. and i'll get the obd on monday.
111837, Same issue
Posted by BKBroila, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the exact same issue. cant figure it out. somedays its fine, some not too fine. today i drove about 15 miles it sputtered the whole way... in november i changed my spark plugs and ignition coil, it seemed to run fine for about two weeks then fell on its face again, probably coincedence.

I have noticed that when i shift or rev the engine the RPMs bounce really fast.
111838, RE: Same issue
does yours throw a code?
111839, RE: Same issue
Yea. i dont remember the actrual codes its been awhile, but there was two for misfire and a speed monitoring device (im guessing speedomiter, it never has worked properly). I'll take it for diagnostics again tomorrow, ill get back to you.
111840, RE: Same issue
ok sweet ill do the same. curious if its same problem
111841, RE: Same issue
p0352 - misfire - ignition coil???
p0500 - VSS - (speedometer)
p1391 - misfire - read on another site it was a "loss of CAS signal"
111842, RE: Same issue
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hmm....you may want to check the wires around the egr tube (though its not quite matching with the vss and no egr code). The intermitten thing can be a melted/broken wire.
111843, RE: Same issue
Funny that you mention EGR.. When i pressure checked for a boost leak, it never held pressure. it all leaked out from the EGR valve. I dont know if thats normal or not, i've never pressure tested before and i was told from a friend that the system should hold pressure ???
111844, RE: Same issue
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BKBroila
I have the exact same issue. cant figure it out. somedays its fine, some not too fine. today i drove about 15 miles it sputtered the whole way... in november i changed my spark plugs and ignition coil, it seemed to run fine for about two weeks then fell on its face again, probably coincedence. I have noticed that when i shift or rev the engine the RPMs bounce really fast.

Sounds like you need to replace the plug wires. Let me guess: If you're really easy on the throttle and baby the car, you can kinda keep it from happening, but if you try to drive like normal and give it more than just a little gas, it starts cutting out, sounding kinda like a Harley? More often than not, that's bad plugs or wires on these cars.

If you're not heavily modified, I would HIGHLY suggest getting the Bosch replacements at Autozone for the simple reason that they come with a lifetime warranty. Next time this happens, you limp the car to Autozone, pull the wires, and they give you a new set. If the problem persists at that point, you know you have other fish to fry.

Good luck.
123464, RE: Same issue
Kinda bringing back a dead thread, but with the help of Dino i found the problem, Did the key dance and got a code 32. Which is the egr solenoid is faulty. i have one on the way and hopefully it will fix the problem. (im tired of getting 275 mpg to a tank.)
I generated this page in 0.010935068130493 seconds, executing 7 queries.