Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133704
View in linear mode

Subject: "2.4 arp head stud -general install check" Previous topic | Next topic
streetlightningApr-05-11 10:32 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133704, "2.4 arp head stud -general install check"

Doing a final check before i start putting her back together. i imagine the 2.4 has the same torque down seq?

I was doing some searching and noticed, some do this, some dont...

" torqued/loosened the ARP head stud nuts five times to get them settled in (25-65-85-100 lbs) "

question is do i need to, if so , do i do it with the HG installed? or do the cycle of 4, pull head, and then do the final cycle of torque?

seq to follow:

1. TORQUE ALL CENTER BOLTS TO 25 FT LBS., TORQUE THE 4 CORNER BOLTS TO 25 FT LBS.

2. TORQUE ALL CENTER BOLTS TO 65 FT LBS., TORQUE THE 4 CORNER BOLTS TO 65 FT LBS.

3. RE-TORQUE ALL CENTER BOLTS TO 85 FT LBS., TORQUE THE 4 CORNER BOLTS TO 85 FT LBS.).

3. RE-TORQUE ALL CENTER BOLTS TO 100 FT LBS., TORQUE THE 4 CORNER BOLTS TO 100 FT LBS.

3. RE-TORQUE ALL CENTER BOLTS TO 100 FT LBS., TORQUE THE 4 CORNER BOLTS TO 100 FT LBS.

Using Mopar MLS + copper gasket spray and Arp hardware.

as for lubes i read this, : use Molly lube only on the nut to stud, not stud to block.

correct? thanks guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-05-11 11:25 AM, #1
RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, streetlightning, Apr-05-11 11:28 AM, #2
      RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-05-11 12:26 PM, #3
           RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, streetlightning, Apr-05-11 01:48 PM, #4
                RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-05-11 02:02 PM, #5
                     RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check, streetlightning, Apr-05-11 02:06 PM, #6

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-05-11 11:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133705, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by streetlightning
i imagine the 2.4 has the same torque down seq?

Yes.

" torqued/loosened the ARP head stud nuts five times to get them settled in (25-65-85-100 lbs) "

I don't know anyone that does that; the instructions don't say to, and no one I've known has even loosened the studs as part of the step-up torquing.

question is do i need to, if so , do i do it with the HG installed?

You perform the torque sequence in steps (25-65-85-100 or whatever), with the headgasket installed, as part of the longblock assembly. You do not loosen the studs after a torque step. The whole point is that you don't want to torque them from 0 to 100ft/lbs in one step, as this can stretch the stud or damage the threads.

You only use the moly lube on the nut end.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

streetlightningApr-05-11 11:28 AM
778 posts,
#133706, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 1

sweeet.. i was reading a 2.4 post by code 4, as well as a few others where they were told (perhaps via arp site) to do the 5 cycle thing..) but ive never done it, thats why i was wondering, id never heard of it either

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-05-11 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#133707, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 2

sweeet.. i was reading a 2.4 post by code 4, as well as a few others where they were told (perhaps via arp site) to do the 5 cycle thing..) but ive never done it, thats why i was wondering, id never heard of it either

Yeah, even stock head bolts have a step torque cycle.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

streetlightningApr-05-11 01:48 PM
778 posts,
#133708, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-05-11 01:58 PM by streetlightning

i know about the stepping of torque, but i was refering to this post:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=127593&mesg_id=127593&listing_type=search

"torqued/loosened the ARP head stud nuts five times to get them settled in (25-65-85 lbs)"

the lossend part is throwing me off lol

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-05-11 02:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#133709, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 4

i know about the stepping of torque, but i was refering to this post: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=127593&mesg_id=127593&listing_type=search "torqued/loosened the ARP head stud nuts five times to get them settled in (25-65-85 lbs)" the lossend part is throwing me off lol

Dave may have been doing that because he had to chase the threads in his block (per that post) to get the studs in. Perhaps he will comment on that.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

streetlightningApr-05-11 02:06 PM
778 posts,
#133710, "RE: 2.4 arp head stud -general install check"
In response to Reply # 5

ahhh missed that part..i should learn to read..: / lol thx for the quick reply's!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133704 Previous topic | Next topic