Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Level 10" Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEAug-05-09 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8107, "Level 10"

So i've been gone from these forums for a long time. My eclipse has sat in my garages, being towed from house to house and needs some work. new tranny, radiator, i think my cv boots are shot so I might as well get good axles, while i'm in there I might as well rip out the motor and get the block built and put a turbo charger on it. I'm looking at several thousand dollars and I'm commited to doing it now that I have a good paying job. So... Is it worth going with level 10? i don't want to buy some 'good' used tranny from someone and have the thing shit out on me under 20 psi. I won't really be doing any autox or anything, maybe a couple trips to the strip but mostly just to have it fixed up and maybe a quick acceleration to 70 or 80 thats it. I'm a fairly modest driver but have always had a desire for boosted cars. This was a dream of mine back when I was 18, which is nearly 7 years ago when I got the car. I drive a '05 330i which is entirely too expensive to play around and modify for my needs and I like the tuner scene on imports a little better. So long story short, I am curious if VT still makes blocks I remember they were making good ones, and who can I buy a tranny from preferably with diff pin brackets and some type of lsd inside. and maybe even the 3.55 as well. Reputable please. Otherwise is level 10 still making trannies for us? worth the money? Also, 2.4 swap, have the parts to do this evolved to a comercial kit of any sort? And I can't remember but the srt4 tranny wouldn't work here either right? Sorry, i'll do some searching tonight when i'm home just looking for a couple quick answers. Any thoughts, recommendations suggestions on any of these parts, considering 2.2 stroker, all that is welcome. Also, I used to live in oregon and had a 2 bay garage to myself, now I live in hot ass AZ and my garage isn't much of a shop so I'll have to have someone else do most of this work.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Level 10, 420agreenvilleSC, Aug-05-09 08:02 PM, #1
RE: Level 10, 420AYE, Aug-06-09 07:29 PM, #2
      RE: Level 10, 420agreenvilleSC, Aug-06-09 09:27 PM, #3
           RE: Level 10, 420AYE, Aug-07-09 02:04 PM, #4
                RE: Level 10, 420AYE, Sep-29-09 02:11 AM, #5
                     RE: Level 10, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-29-09 05:49 AM, #6
                          RE: Level 10, red95eclipse, Sep-29-09 01:39 PM, #7

420agreenvilleSCAug-05-09 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8108, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 0

save your money, do a 5spd swap, and get a bad ass diff and clutch setup.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420AYEAug-06-09 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#8111, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-06-09 08:23 PM by 420AYE

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
save your money, do a 5spd swap, and get a bad ass diff and clutch setup.

Maybe I was unclear, I just need to replace my transmission. Its already a 5 speed. And I wanted to get a transmission with possibly 3.55 in it along with a decent LSD. I was thinking of getting a 2.2l shortblock from someone, but does howell still sell them? Who is the best person to go to for this? I'll be doing my work incrementally. So transmission/clutch/flywheel/axels along with the short block, then i'll do some headwork/cams/turbo/exhaust afterward. I just need to know who to give my money to. Noone has any suggestions here? I don't think VT Engines is in business anymore. Who can I buy a built shortblock from? Crate engine or someone I can go to that will take my block and put the kits on it. I live in arizona, so any reputable mechanic that has done this before would be awesome.

EDIT: Maybe your just suggesting I swap a 'new' 5 spd in. So in that case yeah... Thats what i'm trying to do :p

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

420agreenvilleSCAug-06-09 09:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8112, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420AYE
I live in arizona, so any reputable mechanic that has done this before would be awesome.

they'll chime in here in a lil while, maybe.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

420AYEAug-07-09 02:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#8113, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 3

You know, I did a lot of looking and reading. And if I do it the way I want it, i'm looking at spending 5-6k. And I really don't feel like dumping that much into this car. I'd rather use it to pay down my '05 330i and get a '07 or '08 335i. So it looks like I have an eclipse that i want to sell.

420AYESep-29-09 02:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#8197, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 420AYE
You know, I did a lot of looking and reading. And if I do it the way I want it, i'm looking at spending 5-6k. And I really don't feel like dumping that much into this car. I'd rather use it to pay down my '05 330i and get a '07 or '08 335i. So it looks like I have an eclipse that i want to sell.

I bought an '07 335i with 30k miles...

Now I have 3 damn cars. wtf. I'll never get the dsm fixed

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-29-09 05:49 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8198, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 5

Stay on topic please. We really arent concerned with the car you purchased.

As for your eclipse.....

2.2L, your better off just buying the Callies crank and the rods from Eagle. It will be cheaper than Howell and faster shipping.

As for the trans....just buy a 3.55 for 250.00, swpa the bellhousing (if 99 and older) add an LSD if you want and go with that.

Personally my opinion is to just build the 2.0L. 2.2 isnt going to give you the bang for buck compared to the other options you really have.

Terry

red95eclipseSep-29-09 01:39 PM
Member since Oct 07th 2008
59 posts,
#8199, "RE: Level 10"
In response to Reply # 6

Howell is not currently building motors anymore. That is where I purchased my 2.2 from. Definately go the 3.55 route as far as the transmission. I have the quaife and it seems as though they are stopping production on this items too.(modern performance) So I would suggest you have a local machine shop build your motor with your pieced together pistons and rods. I haven't heard any indication of a clutch set-up yet, do you have any plans for that area?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8107 Previous topic | Next topic