Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #320
View in linear mode

Subject: "1st gear problems" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipzeGamerApr-01-03 07:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#320, "1st gear problems"

I while back I blew out my clutch coming home on the freeway. I drove home over and hour and a half by matching the revs and slipping it into gear. I got the clutch replaced and started driving it again about a month ago. It seemed to shift real hard, and first gear would grind if I tried to move the shifter into it over 20mph. I found the guy who changed my clutch also did my tranny fluid with 90wt gear oil, which I replaced. Now it shifts smooth again, but 1st gear is still grinding real bad if I try to shift into it over 20mph. I think it may be the 1st gear synchro going bad from all the grinding that occurred. Am I on base here? What else might it be? Thanks for any help.

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

16.537 @ 84.00 mph, 2.489 60'

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1st gear problems, optimuspeterson, Apr-01-03 08:18 PM, #1
RE: 1st gear problems, EclipzeGamer, Apr-01-03 09:08 PM, #2
      RE: 1st gear problems, iamnotwhoiam, Apr-02-03 04:18 AM, #3
           RE: 1st gear problems, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-02-03 04:34 AM, #4
                RE: 1st gear problems, Twiste, Apr-02-03 04:36 AM, #5
                     RE: 1st gear problems, FuSi0N, Apr-02-03 09:06 AM, #6
                          RE: 1st gear problems, Patroklai, Apr-02-03 10:42 AM, #7
                               RE: 1st gear problems, Jasvb TS2K2, Apr-02-03 02:35 PM, #8
                                    RE: 1st gear problems, ez, Apr-02-03 05:22 PM, #9
                                         RE: 1st gear problems, EclipzeGamer, Apr-02-03 07:28 PM, #10

optimuspetersonApr-01-03 08:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#321, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 0

well i wouldn't shift into 1st going 20. maybe 10. thats just me though

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipzeGamerApr-01-03 09:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
#322, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, i've broken myself of that habit now. I used to do it rolling up up to stop lights, I'd push the clutch in and drop it to first while breaking. I'm just worried now that I might have really messed something up.

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

iamnotwhoiamApr-02-03 04:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#323, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 2

ha.. my car.. wont let me go into first unless im like going 2mph, slower, or stopped

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

TeamMichael_97RSApr-02-03 04:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#324, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah 20mph sounds a bit high of a speed to go into first. But if there's a problem I would say syncro.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

TwisteApr-02-03 04:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#325, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-02-03 04:37 AM by Twiste

definetly synchros...and you should bitch smack that guy for putting 90wt in your transmission! My transmission is pretty screwed up too, but im just going to deal with it, no racing till it is fixed. Mine wont downshift to 2nd unless im going 20 when i could downshift before at like 40 and 1st wont downshift at all till im stopped.

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

FuSi0NApr-02-03 09:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#326, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-02-03 09:09 AM by FuSi0N

Could it be that the clutch fluid is low? I say this cause my old car used to have a clutch fluid leak and the way I knew that I was low on fluid was when my gears wouldnt engage and were grinding.

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

PatroklaiApr-02-03 10:42 AM
Member since Feb 03rd 2003
108 posts,
#329, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 6

check slave, master, hidraulic lines and reservoir.
i'd go reservoir first might be low in fluid.
my car wont let me go into first gear unless i'm at 1-2mph or stopped so i dont know what that grinding is about. could be a bad syncho worse case scenario.

Looking to buy 4G63

Jasvb TS2K2Apr-02-03 02:35 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#330, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 7

Dude you are not alone. My junk grinds from a stop all the way till I shift into second, really loud in 1st from 2k-4k RPM. I have a stage 3 SPEC. I guess I will know if something is really wrong next week when they install my flywheel and LSD..

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2
"The ONLY Honda I'd mod would be ASIMO"

ezApr-02-03 05:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#331, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 8

crazy you could ever put it into first at 20mph! I can't/won't do it over 5 mph. I don't think it's good to ever put the car in first if the car is actually already moving, unless your at a very slow crawl. I think you're car may be okay, esp since you put in the correct fluid immediately after the wrong fluid was put in.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

EclipzeGamerApr-02-03 07:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
#332, "RE: 1st gear problems"
In response to Reply # 9

Keep in mind I am holding the clutch in when I used to do it. I could put the stick in first while holding the clutch in at 80 on the freeway, than back to 5th and let the clutch engage with no problems. All my fluids are fine, and I just went over the whole clutch system then had another person check it just to be sure, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm pretty sure now that it is the syncro. The 90wt had brass filings in it, the oil shimmered in the sun, lol. Oh well, I can live with it how it is, as long as my tranny doesn't disentigrate on me or somethin'. Thanks for the answers guys, much appriciated.

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #320 Previous topic | Next topic