Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3752
View in linear mode

Subject: "DINO!!! (or other tranny gods) tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral" Previous topic | Next topic
tim97rsDec-15-04 09:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3752, "DINO!!! (or other tranny gods) tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
Dec-15-04 09:57 AM by tim97rs

i need some help on where to start my problem solving.
was on way to school this am and felt a tiny little "pop" when i pushed the clutch in. it went into gear okay that time (after the "pop" feeling), but then when i came to a light it wouldn't go back into any gear at all from neutral. the clutch pedal feels normal, the shifter moves freely in all direction but just stops short of actualy engaging the gears.

there is/was no grinding or weird noises at all. clutch fluid is fine, and i havent done anything tranny related at all in terms of messing something up!!what might i be looking at as far as being broken, so i know where to start?

i am quite ignorant about trannys! thanks

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, run4cvr, Dec-15-04 09:52 AM, #1
RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-15-04 09:57 AM, #2
      RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-15-04 02:34 PM, #3
           RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-15-04 06:25 PM, #4
                RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-15-04 08:03 PM, #5
                     RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, siueclipse, Dec-16-04 05:33 PM, #6
                     RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-16-04 06:13 PM, #7
                     RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-17-04 06:46 AM, #8
                          RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-17-04 10:54 AM, #9
                               RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-17-04 01:03 PM, #10
                               RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-18-04 10:49 AM, #11
                                    RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-20-04 06:49 AM, #13
                               RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, 96NTeclipse, Dec-20-04 06:23 AM, #12
                                    RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-20-04 07:09 AM, #14
                                         RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-20-04 07:14 AM, #15
                                              RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral, tim97rs, Dec-20-04 09:05 AM, #16

run4cvrDec-15-04 09:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3753, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 0

Check the bracket on the tranny where the cable attach. Make sure both 'clips' are there.

John 96 GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

tim97rsDec-15-04 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3754, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 1

they are there. Everything shifting related all looks normal....

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-15-04 02:34 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3755, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 2

to clearify: you say it wont go in gear meaning the shifter wont move into gear or the shifter moves but trans does not engage? What about when you shut it down and try to go into gear and start up with the clutch in?

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

tim97rsDec-15-04 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3758, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
to clearify: you say it wont go in gear meaning the shifter wont move into gear or the shifter moves but trans does not engage? What about when you shut it down and try to go into gear and start up with the clutch in? Terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

the shifter moves but wont move far enough to get into gear, its like it stops half way and wont go any farther, in all gears. it wont go in regardless of what i do.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-15-04 08:03 PM
8331 posts,
#3759, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 4

Hard to tell without actually pulling apart so bear with me if i am wrong. Sounds like the Selector shaft is the problem since it wont go into any gear. if it were just 2 gears with a problem say 1-2 or 3-4 i would lean towards shifter forks. At any rate i think what you were looking for is inside the trans and requires being pulled apart.

If the pin snapped on the selector shaft you would probably get full range of motion on the shifter,then again there is no way to tell where the "debris" went to. if a stop ring shattered i would expect only the loss of 2 gears 1-2 or 3-4 or 5-r.

Dino your thoughts?

Terry

97 Eclipse.........

siueclipseDec-16-04 05:33 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#3765, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 5

will the car go into gear when its off or is it the same whether its on or off?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-16-04 06:13 PM
8331 posts,
#3766, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 6

to clearify: you say it wont go in gear meaning the shifter wont move into gear or the shifter moves but trans does not engage? What about when you shut it down and try to go into gear and start up with the clutch in? Terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

the shifter moves but wont move far enough to get into gear, its like it stops half way and wont go any farther, in all gears. it wont go in regardless of what i do.

Everything you wish you had, and then some...

97 Eclipse.........

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-17-04 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3767, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 5

Hard to tell without actually pulling apart so bear with me if i am wrong. Sounds like the Selector shaft is the problem since it wont go into any gear. if it were just 2 gears with a problem say 1-2 or 3-4 i would lean towards shifter forks. At any rate i think what you were looking for is inside the trans and requires being pulled apart. If the pin snapped on the selector shaft you would probably get full range of motion on the shifter,then again there is no way to tell where the "debris" went to. if a stop ring shattered i would expect only the loss of 2 gears 1-2 or 3-4 or 5-r. Dino your thoughts? Terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

I think you're overcomplicating this. I'd be willing to bet money it's cable issue.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

tim97rsDec-17-04 10:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3768, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 8
Dec-17-04 10:55 AM by tim97rs

uhm... okay.... now it works just fine sitting in the drive way, shifts without any issue at all. all i did since the origional post was tow it home behind a truck, with the engine running. that was wednesday. now it works... what the hell?

is my shit on the verge of going tits up? is this some kind of warninig? what are some reason it would do this? Dino, if it is a cable issue, what am i looking for? i kinda dont wanna go driving it all over town now untill im sure.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-17-04 01:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3769, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 9

Look at the linkage under the center console, and look at the linkage on the trans itself. make sure the clips that hold those cables in place have not come out.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

tim97rsDec-18-04 10:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3771, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by DarkOne
Look at the linkage under the center console, and look at the linkage on the trans itself. make sure the clips that hold those cables in place have not come out.

every clip is in place, there is no slop or slack on any cable. all is properly secured!

next idea...?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-20-04 06:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3783, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 11

Does it shift when you use the gear select arms on the trans itself?

Could be a clutch issue, could be internal.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

96NTeclipseDec-20-04 06:23 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
214 posts,
#3782, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 9

does the trans shift fine while driving it now? after it began shifting in your driveway? If it doesn't it could be a clutch issue.

tim97rsDec-20-04 07:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3784, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 12
Dec-20-04 07:10 AM by tim97rs

just sittin there not unning, it goes in and out of gears normaly whether i use the clutch or not. before, when it was sitting there right after it happened, it wouldn't go into gear period! while driving around the block (didn't want to get to far away)it shifted normaly as well.

i have a very slow tranny fluid leak from one of my seals, could this possibly be from a low fluid level...?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-20-04 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3785, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by tim97rs
i have a very slow tranny fluid leak from one of my seals, could this possibly be from a low fluid level...?

Doubt it. I drove on a trans with no fluid in it for a week and it shifted fine, until i ate the syncros apart

If its fine now, don't worry about it.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

tim97rsDec-20-04 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#3788, "RE: DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!! tanny poo-poo...wont go into any gear from neutral"
In response to Reply # 15

okay... thanks guys!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3752 Previous topic | Next topic