Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4127
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804May-14-04 02:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4127, "Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
May-14-04 02:43 PM by eclipse804

Hey all,

I had a question about quarter mile times. Is my mph a good indication of how much power the car makes, even if I don't launch my car? The reason I ask is that I see some N/A 2gnts running 88-89 mph trap speeds. That's the same as I got with my WRX, except I didn't really launch it. I just slip the clutch from 4-5k. I can manage 2.1-2.2 sec 60 foot times (whereas people that launch hard manage 1.8 sec). So does that mean when my WRX was stock, that it would be even with an N/A 2gnt in a race?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, Uberingram, May-15-04 12:36 AM, #1
RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, Justin99RS, May-15-04 06:39 AM, #2
RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, ModeratorVX100, May-15-04 07:08 AM, #3
RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, Teameclipse804, May-17-04 07:54 PM, #4
      RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, Uberingram, May-18-04 10:46 PM, #5
           RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, evan2, May-22-04 06:49 AM, #6
                RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, 96rs-t, May-23-04 11:41 AM, #7
                     RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, senseiturtle, Jan-05-05 04:35 AM, #8
                          RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, oRACLe063, Feb-07-05 02:25 PM, #9
                               RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, TeamAvenger, Feb-14-05 06:54 AM, #10
                                    RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, PowerEclipses, May-17-05 07:15 PM, #11
                                         RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-17-05 09:56 PM, #12

UberingramMay-15-04 12:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4128, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldn't think so becuase my best run in my SRT is a bit of a mind boggler.

In all I ran a 14.3 @ 95 mph. That's a pretty low trap speed IMO. I should be seeing 100 flat. I think this becuase on that run my 60 ft was 2.6 and I see other stock SRT's trap higher.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Justin99RSMay-15-04 06:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1594 posts,
#4129, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 1

dunno really...but when i ran boosted i was trapping 97-98mph with 14.5 runs...it seems that our eclipses trap really high for the times we run...i was trapping 90mph running 15.8's before turbo..

'99 RS
gone, never forgotten

'03 BMW 330i 5speed

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

ModeratorVX100May-15-04 07:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#4130, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by eclipse804
Hey all, I had a question about quarter mile times. Is my mph a good indication of how much power the car makes, even if I don't launch my car? The reason I ask is that I see some N/A 2gnts running 88-89 mph trap speeds. That's the same as I got with my WRX, except I didn't really launch it. I just slip the clutch from 4-5k. I can manage 2.1-2.2 sec 60 foot times (whereas people that launch hard manage 1.8 sec). So does that mean when my WRX was stock, that it would be even with an N/A 2gnt in a race?

MPH is a decent indicator if you launch consistently. MPH can jump when you spin your tires too much, even though you end up running slower 1/4 mile times.

Also, comparing AWD to FWD trap speeds doesn't work as a HP comparison. The AWD will (most of the time) have a lower mph for the same trap speed.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Teameclipse804May-17-04 07:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#4131, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the info guys...so in simple terms, if I ran one of you that traps at 88-90 mph from a roll, would it be even?

Since my 60' times are in the 2.1-2.2 sec range without a hard launch, and most 2gnt (NA) don't get lower than a 2.2 sec 60' time, then doesn't that mean that once both cars get rolling, they probably would be even? I launch with no wheel spin at all since I baby it. I've never launched an MT 2gnt so I guess I'm not sure how it goes. Is wheel spin a major problem even past first gear, or is it just the initial launch?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

UberingramMay-18-04 10:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#4132, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipse804
Is wheel spin a major problem even past first gear, or is it just the initial launch?

Depends on the car. Stock 2gnt? Launching only. My SRT for example or any other high horsepower 2g here....I have to watch traction in first and second. After modding I imagine I'll be into 3rd with no traction on a clutch dump.

evan2May-22-04 06:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#4145, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 5

marcus FUCK yea it is.. like chris said
the gsr was no fun after boost really, I used to love stringing out 1st and 2nd..
if i gave it a bit of gas in 1st forget about it, I would spin spin spin

couldnt go over 6k in 1st and 2nd, gsr redline is 8100

if i shifted really hard from 2nd to 3rd it would spin a little and catch, sometimes I could get 2nd but I had to shift so fast

short gearing and a 12.5lb flywheel I revved pretty fast

highway was fun, stop to stop wasnt, though most of the time a solid 2nd gear pull would throw more then enough distance to not worry about 3rd

at 6lbs untuned, I had pretty good traction all around though and that was fun.. then tuned at 10.5 it was goodbye tires

but thats fwd

if I came out spinning unless I let off Id spin through all 4 gears until 5th

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

96rs-tMay-23-04 11:41 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#4146, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 6

hey marcus, lets just go to the track and practice....launch it this time.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

senseiturtleJan-05-05 04:35 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
281 posts,
#4580, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 7

Me and my ex-roommate used to go screw around right after I got the jetta, just to compare the two vehicles.

Thing is, if he gave me any head start over 1 - 1.5 car lengths, the race would be very even. His AWD and shorter gearing would grip and launch like hell, and that needed some balancing. At 20+ runs, he can edge me slightly in 2nd, and can't pull any farther from 3rd on.

The point is... a WRX's weakpoint is it's high-end. The car has awesome midrange and can pull some sick launches, but the AWD system taxes accleration along with the car's weight (which is about that of a jetta.) This lack of high-end is what gives you bad MPHs. You get such a good start that you can cover the distance in 14.3, but the lasers at the end of the run will catch this.

There's no question that you'd blow a 2gnt out of the water, even many of the lightly turbo'ed ones. The majority of this lead is going to come from the 0-60, and the rate of gaining is going to diminish after that.

15.23 @ 91.80

oRACLe063Feb-07-05 02:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#4622, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 8

vx why is that ? the fact that when u spin your mph is up ? the longer time on the track negotiating with traction??

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

TeamAvengerFeb-14-05 06:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#4644, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by oRACLe063
vx why is that ? the fact that when u spin your mph is up ? the longer time on the track negotiating with traction??

When you spin off the line your MPH goes up while your time gets slower. Essentially you're increasing the length of the track the more your spin.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

PowerEclipsesMay-17-05 07:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#4734, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 10

and on AWD ETs are lower and mph is lower

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

420a-TnthewerksMay-17-05 09:56 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#4735, "RE: Is mph a good indication of your hp if you don't launch the car?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by PowerEclipses
and on AWD ETs are lower and mph is lower

...and with AWD, ET's are higher while MPH is lower .

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4127 Previous topic | Next topic