Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2306
View in linear mode

Subject: "need to beat a mustang gt" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
freddy_00_69Feb-03-03 07:15 AM
Member since Aug 01st 2002
1119 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2306, "need to beat a mustang gt"

I need to know if what i am getting is enought o beat a new GT. i got spanked the other day on an interstate by an 97gt. I am getting a stage 2 and plan on running 8psi. I currently run cnsistent 10.5 and 10.6 on an 1/8 mile stock with 17's and an apexi n-1 exhaust. They run about 9.6's stock, so would i be able to take it. I can't stand muscle cars pulling up next to me and me losing. My 5-speed rs is quick but i need power to take them. If anyone knows what else to be able to spank a v8, let me know. I would of had the turbo kit, if shaun at ner wouldn;t have taken my $2300.00 and like the b&tch that he is.

99 RS-T
"New bottom end(8.6:1 w/long rods)"
Turbonetics 60-1/Portfueler/etc!!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-03-03 11:46 AM, #1
RE: need to beat a mustang gt, Justin99RS, Feb-03-03 02:21 PM, #2
      RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-04-03 04:54 AM, #3
           RE: need to beat a mustang gt, freddy_00_69, Feb-04-03 08:08 AM, #4
                RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-04-03 09:20 AM, #5
RE: need to beat a mustang gt, BlakeW5, Feb-04-03 07:16 PM, #6
RE: need to beat a mustang gt, freddy_00_69, Feb-05-03 03:21 AM, #7
      RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-05-03 08:34 AM, #8
           RE: need to beat a mustang gt, freddy_00_69, Feb-06-03 11:11 AM, #9
                RE: need to beat a mustang gt, ThePlastik, Feb-10-03 07:17 AM, #10
                     RE: need to beat a mustang gt, juggalo, Feb-14-03 11:30 PM, #11
                          RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-16-03 05:50 AM, #12
                               RE: need to beat a mustang gt, juggalo, Feb-16-03 05:00 PM, #13
                                    RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-17-03 04:36 AM, #14
                                         RE: need to beat a mustang gt, CopperEclipse96, Feb-17-03 05:29 PM, #15
                                              RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-20-03 08:03 AM, #16
                                                   RE: need to beat a mustang gt, juggalo, Feb-21-03 04:57 AM, #17
                                                        RE: need to beat a mustang gt, HRT, Feb-21-03 03:24 PM, #18
                                                             RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-21-03 03:39 PM, #19
                                                                  RE: need to beat a mustang gt, HRT, Feb-22-03 04:33 AM, #20
                                                                       RE: need to beat a mustang gt, freddy_00_69, Feb-22-03 12:39 PM, #21
                                                                            RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-22-03 01:52 PM, #22
                                                                                 RE: need to beat a mustang gt, HRT, Feb-24-03 12:42 PM, #23
                                                                                      RE: need to beat a mustang gt, 98Talon, Feb-24-03 12:55 PM, #24
                                                                                           RE: need to beat a mustang gt, ModeratorVX100, Feb-25-03 04:58 AM, #25

98TalonFeb-03-03 11:46 AM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2307, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 0

Spray it, 'nuff said. I run a 9.6 with the mods below and an open header, but I ran a 10.2 when it was dead stock.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

Justin99RSFeb-03-03 02:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1594 posts,
#2309, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 1

sorry to say but a new mustang GT running 9.6 1/8ths is reallllly hurting..a convert GT will run low low 14's a hardtop easily into the 13's...gonna take some modding to be able to pull on one of them..

'99 RS
gone, never forgotten

'03 BMW 330i 5speed

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

98TalonFeb-04-03 04:54 AM
1096 posts,
#2311, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 2

Oh shit, I just saw that he said "new" GT. You've got your hands full man. Even on nitrous, you're going to have a hard time with one that is well driven, but spray your car, drive well, and good luck.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

freddy_00_69Feb-04-03 08:08 AM
1119 posts,
#2313, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 3

I raced a gt 2000 at the track and he ran a 9.6, i know they run low 14's, but the without any mods they are not running 13's unless you are talking about the svt. Of course they will kill me b/c they are supercharged and pushing 390hp, but i juist want for now while i am in school to beat the v8 gt(NEW) b/c i got friends that run at the track and some are turbo and some nitrous that kill them. So i would need to be able to run low 14's, i guess. So stage 2 might do it b/c it is around 250hp and the stang is 260hp(300tq). I will just have to try, i will let you guys know when i get everything setup and leave them behind. I graduate in May of this year, after that i get paid, so then i will have no problem at all, except the SVT. Thanks for the insight, If an 89GT corolla can beat a mustang GT spraying a 75 shot, then i know i can do something to beat them.

99 RS-T

98TalonFeb-04-03 09:20 AM
1096 posts,
#2314, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 4

whoever ran a 9.6 in a new GT can't drive, because my friend runs 8.6's in his with a K&N drop in filter. Oh, and get nitrous, not a turbo.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

BlakeW5Feb-04-03 07:16 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2003
60 posts,
#2315, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 0

If you really want to beat a GT, find an automatic GT. Ford automatics are even more pathetic than auto DSM (...wish I had a 5 speed). Automatic GT's run 1 sec slower than their manuals (can't remember if it's 0-60, or 1/4 mile). But nitrous sounds like your best bet, as far as money.

97 Eclipse GS
- Ebay CAI
- Ebay Dual Tip Muffler
- Ebay Front and Rear Strut Bars
- Energy Suspension Motor Mounts

freddy_00_69Feb-05-03 03:21 AM
1119 posts,
#2318, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 6

Where did you get 8.6 from b/c SVT Lightning runs 8.5 in an 1/8 with a K&N in it and that is 390hp with 390tq. So ain't no way in hell he is running 8.6 on a 260hp with a K&N, sorry but he has got some other shit in his car or it is the svt or cobra model. An 8.6 is equivalent to a 12.9 1/4, since they run low 14's stock, a K&N will not give a mustang 100HP. A friend of mine gots the old 5.0 and he doesn't run a 12.9 with a K&N, so he must got something up his sleeves. Well, thanks everyone. I talked to my friend with the corolla gts 89 and he can beat mustang gt new or old, and he is running a 100-shot. I can beat him sometimes when he doesn't spray, so why wouldn't a turbo be good enough if nitrous runs out and turbo's don't, i think i am going to go with turbo b/c i know they can be beat by a dsm, except the new cobra and svt which have almost 400hp. I appreciate all the info, i am glad i got people to write in here and respond.

99 RS-T

98TalonFeb-05-03 08:34 AM
1096 posts,
#2322, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 7

I dunno how he does it, but those are his only power making mods (he has exhaust too now that I think about it) K&N and Exhaust in a 2002 GT and he runs 8.6's. I'm sure I can get a slip if you like. Oh, and the 1/8th time multiplied by 1.5 is a crock of shit in case you didn't know. Otherwise my car runs a 14.4 with just a p/p tb and filter.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

freddy_00_69Feb-06-03 11:11 AM
1119 posts,
#2324, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 8

Ask him what he has done b/c 8.6 with an exhaust and K&N is not right at all for only a 260hp(300tq). Show me a slip and the true mods and i will believe it, until then i will just have to think he is lying. An old cobra(97-99) can't even run a mid 8 with mods and the guy races it all the time. Well, you running mid 15's is pretty quick for a N/A eclipse.

99 RS-T

ThePlastikFeb-10-03 07:17 AM
Member since Dec 10th 2002
159 posts,
#2340, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 9

a mustang gt has 260 hp?

Mods & Pix Here:
http://geocities.com/theplastik/

juggaloFeb-14-03 11:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#2354, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 10

its all about hp to weight ratio. has anybody seen the magazine where they put a 360hp mustang up against a 170hp lotus. the lotus killed the mustang in everything but horsepower. i have a friend with a civic snatchback, he put a non-vtec prelude engine in it and would stomp the gt mustangs. after he put an intake, header, exhaust, and pulleys he was beating non-modded mustang cobras.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

98TalonFeb-16-03 05:50 AM
1096 posts,
#2355, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 11

STOP BENCH RACING!!!!!!!!!!! Numbers that magazines post do not mean shit. If some kid at your local track got a new mustang GT and runs 9.6's and it's a 5 speed, he can't drive or his car is fucked up, end of that, no arguing. With that said, I the nitrous over turbo thing is strictly preference. BUT a kid in my town just turbo'd his '99 eclipse with a hahn stage 2 and I can keep up with him easily WITHOUT nitrous. With nitrous I'd hand him his ass so bad it would be an embarrassment. Keep your $3K unless you have another $2k on top of that to build your motor and make your car bad ass like strauss or something.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

juggaloFeb-16-03 05:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#2356, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 12

>BUT a kid in my town just turbo'd his '99 eclipse with a hahn stage >2 and I can keep up with him easily WITHOUT nitrous.

>1998 Eagle Talon
>Ported/Polished Throttle Body
>Cone Filter directly on TB
>Best Time:
<15.61 @ 93 mph (G-tech)

how the fuck do you keep up with a stage 2 with just a p&p TB and cone filter?

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

98TalonFeb-17-03 04:36 AM
1096 posts,
#2357, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 13

well, I have an open header also. But I dunno, his car just isn't very fast. He IS an automatic, but still.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

CopperEclipse96Feb-17-03 05:29 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#2359, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 14

one word: T-U-N-I-N-G. Man that guy with the HRC Stage 2 needs to get his car to a dyno and get that shit straightened out.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

98TalonFeb-20-03 08:03 AM
1096 posts,
#2362, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 15

damn straight he does. All his friends keep trying to give him mustang injectors and shit, all he needs is an SFMU and some tuning... Oh well, I'm tired of trying to help him. He'll get it right eventually I figure, then I'll still rape his ass when I spray.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

juggaloFeb-21-03 04:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#2364, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 16

you should race him for his kit, sounds like the kid might be stupid enough to do it and then you'll have a turbo and nos.

HRTFeb-21-03 03:24 PM
Member since Jan 12th 2003
15 posts,
#2366, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 17

Have you guys ever heard of air density?Traction?Wind direction? Unless you guys are running in the exact same spot with the exact same weather conditions your times will all vary. So it is basically retarded to compare times ran under conditions other than exactly the same conditions, with a carbon copy, etc.Look at professional drag racing. You could be running the same exact car, at the same exact time and still not run the same numbers. At the same racetrack 5-10 minutes can dictate what you run based on air density, track temp, traction, wind direction, weight, etc.. In just one day at the track the air density can change so drastically that your 1/4 mile times can change by 1-2 maybe even 3 tenths, if not more. So basically just because the guy said he ran 9.6's maybe it was because the all of these factors where at the exact perfect combination to do so. Or maybe he'll run faster. Or maybe you'll run slower. It is basically IMPOSSIBLE to compare drag strip runs and to say what do i need to beat XXX car.... Just do the best with what you have. Just remeber he has twice the cylinders you have to create power.

See it at http://www.geocities.com/twobfaster/
97 RS....Dodge Viper Yellow Paint, GS side skirts, Aerospeed dual black spoiler, Battle Z FE, Team Loco 134 17" rims, Sumitomo HTRZ rubbers, gutted cat, magnecor wires, Iceman CAI,Mozart Muffler,Hurricane GS

98TalonFeb-21-03 03:39 PM
1096 posts,
#2367, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 18

thank you for that^^^ we all knew that and your post was pointless. We are all now dumber for having read it.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

HRTFeb-22-03 04:33 AM
15 posts,
#2368, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 19

Hey AS$ clown... lose the attitude... and why are you posting a Gtech 1/4 mile time??? Because there is no way in hell you can run 15.6 with only those two or three mod's..... Garaunteed.... you were running downhill or with a 40 mph wind at your back maybe... If not you have the only NT in the world that can break the 15.8 barrier with only two mods.... oh yeah Id better get my sh8t boots on because its getting pretty deep in here.

97 RS....Dodge Viper Yellow Paint, GS side skirts, Aerospeed dual black spoiler, Battle Z FE, Team Loco 134 17" rims, Sumitomo HTRZ rubbers, gutted cat, magnecor wires, Iceman CAI,Mozart Muffler,Hurricane GS

freddy_00_69Feb-22-03 12:39 PM
1119 posts,
#2372, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 20

I didn't mean for this post to start sh%t in here, i just wanted a guess from someone who knew more about our cars. As far as the mustangs, if a guy with an 89 gts corolla with a 75 shot can beat one then believe me i will be able to beat one when i install my turbo and tune everything. And that corolla is a 1.8 NON-TURBO, thanks for replying though to my questions. Hope no disputes come about from this, it is only my opinion and it doesn't count, so oh well. 4 cylinders can be tuned properly to spank a v-8, so don't count us out yet.

99 RS-T

98TalonFeb-22-03 01:52 PM
1096 posts,
#2373, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 21

9.6 in the 1/8th mile, consistantly at two different tracks, on two different days. Enough Said. I wish you were near mississippi so I could half-track your ass and shut you up.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

HRTFeb-24-03 12:42 PM
15 posts,
#2377, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 22
Feb-24-03 12:46 PM by HRT

Alright SON, I did not start this little pissing match. But I will finish it. I was drunk when I wrote that first long message. It was long and probably not right on point, and not very helpful.But my point was taken. Secondly you would not "half track" anything.. Ive spent more years at a drag strip than you've had your lisence. Lastly if you would like to race something common up here to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and we can go to the track. I will BET ALL THE MONEY YOU WANT that my 91' Ford Mustang with a 514 cubic inch (thats 8.5 Liters) motor that runs well into the 9's IN THE QUARTER MILE will stomp anything you can find. Ill even give you a head start at half track and still piss on you. So know what you get into and who you talk to. Ive unfortunately been apart of this website for along, long time. The screen name before was IowaRSracer....Ive seen this website grow from about 800 HELPFULL members, to about 3-4000 smart-assed automotive genuises that know everything.... So I could give a shit less what some smart ass kid thinks he can run a 15.6 with a G-Tec meter. What do you think itll tell you when you get a Stage II turbokit.... Surprise 14 sec? 13 sec? Well at least you can tell that kid with the Mustang to go get one and maybe you can compare times. It doesnt matter so whatever dude I dont care what you think and you should continue to voice your opinion. If I were you in all honesty, do some upgrades on your internals, your ignition and put that thing on the bottle... Theres my help.

98TalonFeb-24-03 12:55 PM
1096 posts,
#2378, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 23

dude... I have tried to remove that thing several times from my sig and it won't work. The only track time I have is on an 1/8th mile track. My car is on the bottle right now (although only a 75 shot) but I've not yet run it at the track while spraying. My roomate actually has a black '91 mustang GT with a turbo 337 (I think) in it. that car is ungodly, and he drives it to work everyday. His best time in the 1/8th so far is a 6.1.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

ModeratorVX100Feb-25-03 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2380, "RE: need to beat a mustang gt"
In response to Reply # 24

nice job ruining the thread you two (98talon and HRT)

as you can tell, I'm not too pleased

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2306 Previous topic | Next topic