Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1781
View in linear mode

Subject: "Q about how much CAI will impact a race" Previous topic | Next topic
cool_g_83Aug-27-02 05:22 AM
Member since Apr 27th 2002
478 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1781, "Q about how much CAI will impact a race"

Say i was running a car and was even w/ him the whole way. Granted all the variables are the same, what would the outcome be after a CAI install on my car? Thanks!

Greg
'96 Esi

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

Defi D-Series Boost Gauge, ExtremePsi Intake, Greddy Type-S BOV, Hallman Evolution MBC ... 3" Thermal R&D Exhaust soon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, mcgyvr, Aug-27-02 07:15 AM, #1
RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, cucumber, Aug-29-02 02:39 PM, #2
      RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, ModeratorVX100, Aug-31-02 12:39 PM, #3
           RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, cucumber, Sep-02-02 06:30 AM, #4
                RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, ModeratorVX100, Sep-02-02 12:08 PM, #5
                     RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, 98Talon, Sep-03-02 05:14 AM, #6
                          RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, REV_GSlow, Sep-08-02 12:15 PM, #7
                               RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, 99_gs_OZ, Sep-08-02 02:56 PM, #8
                                    RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, eclipse_99rs, Sep-08-02 03:05 PM, #9
                                         RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race, 1TuffRS, Sep-09-02 12:09 AM, #10
                                              RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, FnNitWit81, Dec-16-02 02:00 PM, #11
                                                   RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, vegasdsmr, Dec-16-02 04:12 PM, #12
                                                        RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, fasterGS, Dec-23-02 06:14 AM, #13
                                                             RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, The1Bill, Dec-26-02 09:40 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, speed99, Dec-27-02 10:34 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race, 1TuffRS, Dec-30-02 06:58 AM, #16

mcgyvrAug-27-02 07:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1782, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 0

same thing, and sometimes even worse, some of the intakes out there rob low end torque, but the difference wont really be all that much, your car will sound meaner though, and you might just gain enough top end to take that car in the end

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cucumberAug-29-02 02:39 PM
Member since Feb 05th 2002
592 posts,
#1783, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 1

It won't make a damn bit of difference.

"i want a turbo that gets full boost (35psi) at 2500rpms, and will make about 490hp to the wheels and make my greddy type blow off valve louder than jet airplanes

ModeratorVX100Aug-31-02 12:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#1784, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 2

What? I guess that's why a CAI took about 0.25-0.30 seconds off my quarter mile

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

cucumberSep-02-02 06:30 AM
Member since Feb 05th 2002
592 posts,
#1785, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 3

Cars are different. Just because it shaved that much time off your car, and you're a pretty good driver, doesn't mean it'll shave that much time off of this guys time, who might not be able to drive as good as you. Also, do you think he is going to tell .1 second of a difference in his daily driving. Damn, I guess I'm an idiot...

"i want a turbo that gets full boost (35psi) at 2500rpms, and will make about 490hp to the wheels and make my greddy type blow off valve louder than jet airplanes

ModeratorVX100Sep-02-02 12:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#1786, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 4

0.1 sec, you're right you probably couldn't tell

but I think you can tell a 1/4 second difference with the butt-o-meter

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

98TalonSep-03-02 05:14 AM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
#1787, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 5

ONLY my short ram made a difference of around .3 seconds in the 1/8th mile with that as my only mod. And I can certainly feel the difference.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

REV_GSlowSep-08-02 12:15 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2002
1312 posts,
#1788, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 6

ditto

EclipsedChef was my first name..Member #460!

::::..Under Construction..::::

99_gs_OZSep-08-02 02:56 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2002
4 posts,
#1789, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 7

same here man i could definatally tell a difference i got my greddy exhaust and cold air about the same time so it was very noticable

to poor to go fast

99 gs
oz package
aerospeed exhaust
aem short ram intake
full carbon dash kit black and yellow graffics on the side
pioneer head unit with 2 pioneer 10's in a bandpass box with a 750watt kenwood bridged amp

soon to get:
carb

eclipse_99rsSep-08-02 03:05 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#1790, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 8

ive noticed pretty big differences with my cai and catback! when i put the cai on i was impressed with the gains. Im not sure about 1/4 mile times but i think it would put you ahead of a stock eclipse.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

1TuffRSSep-09-02 12:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#1791, "RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 9

I just installed a CAI on my ride and it dropped my quarter mile times from a 15.9 to a 15.71

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

FnNitWit81Dec-16-02 02:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1861 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1792, "RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 10

I didn't mean to post sorry

vegasdsmrDec-16-02 04:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#1793, "RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 11

if you are racing the same car that you were even with before, i figure you will pull ahead of him/her at least have them at your bumper, and maybe more after several seconds of gettin on it....

cai=more "overall"power than stock intake, and short ram....

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

fasterGSDec-23-02 06:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1794, "RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 12

Its hard to gauge how much of a gain it will make in the quarter, too many variables. Sure, the first time it might give you .3 seconds but was that because of the CAI or because you got a little more traction off the line? Im not saying it doesnt improve your time but its hard to put an exact number on it.

But then again, looking at the stock intake system and a CAI, you know you are going to be a bit faster. You're getting a lot more air.

The1BillDec-26-02 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#1795, "RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 13

Todd was taking that into account when he made his comment, as he races a lot. On average, his times dropped .25 seconds or so from before it was installed to after it was installed. And this is not an insult to anyone. I felt a hige difference after I installed my Iceman (not just heard, that is another story). I will take a picture of the tube that my stock airbox used to breathe through. It is a bent piece of plastic that narrows to maybe 1.5 square inches at one point. Opening that up should provide a good gain that can be felt.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

speed99Dec-27-02 10:34 AM
Member since Dec 13th 2002
42 posts,
#1796, "RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 14

well when I got my 99rs I was raceing nt eclipes and still beating them bye a car and after I made one i ran my intake pipe down the hole next to the air box to the front left side hole and put my arospeed filter their so like a cold/ram air intake and I still used my factory pipe just took the box off and when from thier alot of peeps say to take off the factory part and go pipe all the way but I don't think its going to stop air flow that much . I seen a dif more at high rpms like 4000 and up then low but then again when you race more then half the time you all ready moveing so I guess that would help right ? thy did a test on a honda once of dif intakes you should get about 5hp or soo other then the way i got it I think short would be better cuz the air gets their faster .. unlike mine is more forced into it the faster I got

1TuffRSDec-30-02 06:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#1797, "RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race"
In response to Reply # 15

I see what your saying, but in all honesty I drive my car pretty consistently. With the 17's I was getting 2.3 60' times on every run, so traction/launching wasnt an issue. The performance gains I got with the jeep TB wasnt really accurate because I put my 14s up front and my 60' times dropped to 2.2's

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1781 Previous topic | Next topic