Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectQ about how much CAI will impact a race
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=1781
1781, Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by cool_g_83, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Say i was running a car and was even w/ him the whole way. Granted all the variables are the same, what would the outcome be after a CAI install on my car? Thanks!

Greg
'96 Esi
1782, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
same thing, and sometimes even worse, some of the intakes out there rob low end torque, but the difference wont really be all that much, your car will sound meaner though, and you might just gain enough top end to take that car in the end
1783, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by cucumber, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It won't make a damn bit of difference.
1784, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What? :wary I guess that's why a CAI took about 0.25-0.30 seconds off my quarter mile :rolleyes
1785, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by cucumber, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Cars are different. Just because it shaved that much time off your car, and you're a pretty good driver, doesn't mean it'll shave that much time off of this guys time, who might not be able to drive as good as you. Also, do you think he is going to tell .1 second of a difference in his daily driving. Damn, I guess I'm an idiot...

:rolleyes
1786, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
0.1 sec, you're right you probably couldn't tell

but I think you can tell a 1/4 second difference with the butt-o-meter :)
1787, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by 98Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ONLY my short ram made a difference of around .3 seconds in the 1/8th mile with that as my only mod. And I can certainly feel the difference.

1788, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by REV_GSlow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ditto
1789, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by 99_gs_OZ, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
same here man i could definatally tell a difference i got my greddy exhaust and cold air about the same time so it was very noticable
1790, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ive noticed pretty big differences with my cai and catback! when i put the cai on i was impressed with the gains. Im not sure about 1/4 mile times but i think it would put you ahead of a stock eclipse.
1791, RE: Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just installed a CAI on my ride and it dropped my quarter mile times from a 15.9 to a 15.71
1792, RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by FnNitWit81, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I didn't mean to post sorry
1793, RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you are racing the same car that you were even with before, i figure you will pull ahead of him/her at least have them at your bumper, and maybe more after several seconds of gettin on it....

cai=more "overall"power than stock intake, and short ram....
1794, RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its hard to gauge how much of a gain it will make in the quarter, too many variables. Sure, the first time it might give you .3 seconds but was that because of the CAI or because you got a little more traction off the line? Im not saying it doesnt improve your time but its hard to put an exact number on it.

But then again, looking at the stock intake system and a CAI, you know you are going to be a bit faster. You're getting a lot more air.
1795, RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Todd was taking that into account when he made his comment, as he races a lot. On average, his times dropped .25 seconds or so from before it was installed to after it was installed. And this is not an insult to anyone. I felt a hige difference after I installed my Iceman (not just heard, that is another story). I will take a picture of the tube that my stock airbox used to breathe through. It is a bent piece of plastic that narrows to maybe 1.5 square inches at one point. Opening that up should provide a good gain that can be felt.
-=B-=
1796, RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by speed99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well when I got my 99rs I was raceing nt eclipes and still beating them bye a car and after I made one i ran my intake pipe down the hole next to the air box to the front left side hole and put my arospeed filter their so like a cold/ram air intake and I still used my factory pipe just took the box off and when from thier alot of peeps say to take off the factory part and go pipe all the way but I don't think its going to stop air flow that much . I seen a dif more at high rpms like 4000 and up then low but then again when you race more then half the time you all ready moveing so I guess that would help right ? thy did a test on a honda once of dif intakes you should get about 5hp or soo other then the way i got it I think short would be better cuz the air gets their faster .. unlike mine is more forced into it the faster I got
1797, RE: RE%3A Q about how much CAI will impact a race
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I see what your saying, but in all honesty I drive my car pretty consistently. With the 17's I was getting 2.3 60' times on every run, so traction/launching wasnt an issue. The performance gains I got with the jeep TB wasnt really accurate because I put my 14s up front and my 60' times dropped to 2.2's
I generated this page in 0.012937068939209 seconds, executing 7 queries.