Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #152
View in linear mode

Subject: "2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????" Previous topic | Next topic
flossinpnoyracerDec-20-01 12:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#152, "2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"

has anyone ever raced one. just wondering how we match up against them

1999 GST

1997 RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, HadesOmega, Dec-20-01 12:24 PM, #1
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, neovb, Dec-20-01 01:33 PM, #2
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, flossinpnoyracer, Dec-20-01 01:43 PM, #3
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, neovb, Dec-20-01 02:02 PM, #4
      RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, neovb, Dec-20-01 02:09 PM, #5
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, Dave_FL, Dec-20-01 02:11 PM, #6
      RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, neovb, Dec-20-01 02:20 PM, #7
           RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, flossinpnoyracer, Dec-20-01 02:23 PM, #8
                RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, HadesOmega, Dec-20-01 04:19 PM, #9
                     RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, optimuspeterson, Dec-20-01 05:21 PM, #10
                          RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, ModeratorVX100, Dec-21-01 01:14 AM, #11
                               RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, ExcessTalonESi, Dec-21-01 10:01 AM, #12
                                    RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, ExcessTalonESi, Dec-21-01 10:02 AM, #13
                                    RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-21-01 08:08 PM, #14
                                    RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, ModeratorVX100, Dec-22-01 07:02 AM, #15
                                         RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-23-01 02:38 PM, #16
                                              RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, fasterGS, Jan-28-02 06:08 PM, #17
                                                   RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, SaberKhan, Jan-29-02 08:26 AM, #18
                                                        RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, FuSi0N, Jan-29-02 08:33 AM, #19
                                                             RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, Dualgen2, Jan-30-02 01:19 AM, #20
                                                                  RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, ModeratorVX100, Jan-30-02 02:45 AM, #21
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, EsiTalon96, Jan-30-02 03:16 PM, #22
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, fasterGS, Jan-31-02 02:41 PM, #23
      RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, flossinpnoyracer, Feb-01-02 08:06 AM, #24
RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????, Eclipse148cel, Feb-03-02 06:09 AM, #25

HadesOmegaDec-20-01 12:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#153, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you have a good chance of winning against a GT. They don't have a lot of torque which we do. So you'll probably take it off the line and take it in topend. Then again we're pretty heavy, if you've got any performance mods like pulley of intake/exhuast you'll be able to take a stock one or even a slightly modded one.

My friend HAD a GTS and that thing was pretty quick I don't think you'll be able to cream one of those, even I have a hard time catching up to them on the freeway.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

neovbDec-20-01 01:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
466 posts,
#154, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 0

I raced one before. The guy I raced had a black 2000 Celica GT manual tranny with all the nice features, but it was totally stock. The only thing I have right now is a catback exhaust. By the way, the GT has a 1.8L engine with 140hp and it has 125 ft/lb of torque. Basically we were close from the beginning (i had a bad launch plus i have a slightly slipping clutch), we were basically neck and neck into 2nd, but as soon as I hit about 5500rpm in 2nd i basically pulled away from him. I didnt win by much (it wasnt a long race) maybe about 1 1/2 car lengths. With my 2.5" piping I was probably even with him in torque, maybe even a bit less, thats why we were probably even in the beginning, but in the end I won pretty easily.

-Celica-
HP: 140 @ 6400rpm
Torque: 125 @ 4200rpm

-Eclipse-
HP: 140 @ 6000rpm
Torque: 130 @ 4800rpm

IMHO, basically we Eclipse owners have a typical advantage. And as HadesOmega said correctly, we do have higher torque (but not much more), and basically the same HP although we hit it at a lower RPM. Plus if you have any mods any eclipse should easily beat a GT, in acceleration and top speed. And the GT-S isnt that much better, it has 180HP, but only 130 ft/lb of torque... same accel but more top end... an eclipse with a few simple mods should be able to at least match a GTS. Theyre nice looking cars, but they dont really have that massive performance that you would expect.

If anyone thinks im wrong, please let me know

NeoVB
1997 Eclipse GS

NeoVB
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS TURBO
1995 Mitsubishi Galant ES DOHC TURBO
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

flossinpnoyracerDec-20-01 01:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#155, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 2

so basically its all on the driver. i think ima go celica hunting which will take awhile because theres hardly any and i never encountered a challenge from one

1999 GST

1997 RS

neovbDec-20-01 02:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
466 posts,
#156, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 3

Hehe good luck man - although you dont need it or anything. Yeah, there arent that many around, and when you see one its usually some hot chick who wont race for her life

Anyways, youre car looks like its got a hell of a lot of mods. What do you have in there under the hood and on the inside and on the outside? Post up those mods for me if you can, thanks..

NeoVB
1997 Eclipse GS

NeoVB
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

neovbDec-20-01 02:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
466 posts,
#157, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh by the way, I checked out youre site and Im taking a wild guess and saying that the white eclipse was yours before you changed it .
How did you pull off the GS spoiler without having holes in your rear quarterpanels? I wanted to put on a different spoiler but I dont want to have holes in my car

NeoVB
1997 Eclipse GS

NeoVB
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Dave_FLDec-20-01 02:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#158, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 2

GTS's run a 14.9. I don't think any 2GNT can do that. But if its auto or a shitty driver a 2GNT with mods might hang with it.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

neovbDec-20-01 02:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
466 posts,
#159, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 6

Well yeah the GTS are nice cars, but I think theyre overrated. AND its almost 22500$ for a new one... I dont get why they make cars like that, nice HP but shitty torque - just like the typeR integras. But as for the normal GT's, our cars can kick thier ass

NeoVB
1997 Eclipse GS

NeoVB
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

flossinpnoyracerDec-20-01 02:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#160, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 7

well im talkin about THE GT and not the GTS so no doubt no competion there

as for my stock spoiler holes everything has been shaved off
stock spoiler mounts shaved
antenna shaved
roof completely shaved
doors completely shaved

1999 GST

1997 RS

HadesOmegaDec-20-01 04:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#161, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 8

Those CARZ your talking about are high rev cars. In Japan turbocharging is the thing and high revving NA cars. With high RPM horsepower you can race the car at higher rpms and just cruise at lower rpms. Just different style of racing.

I like our engine though good torque and horsies, and as HP goesup torque pretty goes up progressively as well.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

optimuspetersonDec-20-01 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#162, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 9

do you mean you shaved the body lines in the roof. did you do that your self? did you use fiberglass? my friend is shaving the bodyline all the wya around is s-10

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

ModeratorVX100Dec-21-01 01:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#163, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 10

The new celicas are very light, lighter than us. We'd need a few bolt ons to stay even with the GT models even though their engine isn't terribly different from ours, the GT-S are tough to catch.

But, I've heard that Toyota is having some trouble with the GT-S engines, when they get up to their 8K rpm redline, the valves sometimes just drop into the cylinders. That would majorly suck.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ExcessTalonESiDec-21-01 10:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
223 posts,
#164, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 11

<<GTS's run a 14.9. I don't think any 2GNT can do that. But if its auto or a shitty driver a 2GNT with mods might hang with it.>>

I know that the GTS's are supposed to run 14.9's...but those cars are tested with AWESOME drivers on AWESOME days at the tracks...I think a normal everyday driver can make a new GTS pull a 15.X. My friend has a '99 Civic Si (which is supposed to run a 15.9 stock) and he has intake, headers, exhaust, wires, plugs...and he barely runs a 16.1 (his reaction time is like a .6X something too...according to his time slips). So I think a good 2GNT driver with your basic mods can hang with your everday joe schmo GTS driver (based on my race with a newer GRS one time..he didn't beat me by much at all...maybe a car length to a car and a half...and I have a stock ESi). Hope that helps....that GT is toast dude...hehehe!!! Good luck and happy hunting!

~Darby Ellis
2004 Mazda 6 Sedan w/auto-dimming mirror w/homelink and compass, Sportkit w/spoiler, Bose system upgrades

Formerly:

*'96 Eagle Talon ESi-T (TOTALED) = Mods: HRC Stage 2 turbokit / Pilot Motorsports Short Throw / Tokico Illuminas (5 way externally adjustable) / Eibach Pro-Kit

*2003 Nissan Altima (stock)

AIM: ExcessTalonESi
E-Mail: JediDarby16@hotmail.com

ExcessTalonESiDec-21-01 10:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
223 posts,
#165, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 12

<<based on my race with a newer GRS one time>>

I meant GTS....hehe

~Darby Ellis
2004 Mazda 6 Sedan w/auto-dimming mirror w/homelink and compass, Sportkit w/spoiler, Bose system upgrades

Formerly:

*'96 Eagle Talon ESi-T (TOTALED) = Mods: HRC Stage 2 turbokit / Pilot Motorsports Short Throw / Tokico Illuminas (5 way externally adjustable) / Eibach Pro-Kit

*2003 Nissan Altima (stock)

AIM: ExcessTalonESi
E-Mail: JediDarby16@hotmail.com

9D9 MITSU RSDec-21-01 08:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#166, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 13

GTS is over rated. I have 2 friends that both have them. One has a 2000 GTS. It is fast as hell top end. Both are auto. I can pull him till about 90 and then, he smoothly hits about 140. The other is a 2001 GTS with the TRD factory kit. He has an AEM cai and a TRD $600 catback that is basically a polished stock GTS exhaust with a chrome tip. He topped it out at 120. So, I guess it depends on the years. Both guys are auto.

ModeratorVX100Dec-22-01 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#167, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 12

>I know that the GTS's are supposed to run 14.9's...but those
>cars are tested with AWESOME drivers on AWESOME days at the
>tracks...

True, they are just as hard to launch as the VTEC hondas since they don't have much bottom end. It doesn't mean it can't be done, but it's not as easy as most cars.

My friend has a '99 Civic Si (which is
>supposed to run a 15.9 stock) and he has intake, headers,
>exhaust, wires, plugs...and he barely runs a 16.1 (his
>reaction time is like a .6X something too...according to his
>time slips).

Yea, I've seen that at the drag strip too. I have seen lightly modded Si civics (intake, loud exhaust) run 16.1's while I was hitting 15's with the same mods. And it isn't the reaction time you should be looking at, it's his 60' time. If that is 2.4 sec or slower, then he can't launch.

So I think a good 2GNT driver with your basic
>mods can hang with your everday joe schmo GTS driver

As long as it's a short race from a dead stop. That's our advantage.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Amish_EclipseDec-23-01 02:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#168, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 15

i've raced my friends bone stock gts as i am now and another one with and i've beaten both with ease. my friend's is a 6 spd. the key to drivin them is to skip a gear or too, they're geared close and have high redlines. if you shift at red line you only get knocked down to like 6500 and the vvtli kicks in at 5, skip a gear and drop it to 5k rpms and then you can run the 14.9's. my friend runs through every gear and i smoke his ass. he raced my other friend with a bone stock rs and the gts just barely edges out the stock rs (5spd)

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

fasterGSJan-28-02 06:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#169, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 16

No offense but how can you guys say that the Celica GTS has no torque?? We have two cars, my 99 GS manual and my G/Fs Celica GTS 6 speed. Ive raced them both ways and the Celica beats my GS everytime we race. I have tried all the different ways to launch, shift, lean, yell, hold my face, none of it works. There is one conclusion to all this rambling about the two cars...... A lighter car with 40 more horsepower is going stomp stock eclipses. Period, end of story. Intakes and exhaust add maybe ten HP, still thats 30 more ponies. Now I am a huge DSM fan, hell ive owned 4 of them in my short lifetime. But its simple physics.... and if anyone wants to test this then drop me a line. I aint mad at ya... nothing but love for ya

SaberKhanJan-29-02 08:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#170, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah, I dont think your average modded 2GNT would outrun an expertly driven GTS. As far as torque and Celicas, here's my 2 cents. Its not that they lack peak torque. Its where in the powerband the torque peaks at. If I'm not mistakened, its at something like 7200rpm I believe. Ours is 4k. 4k and below we are producing much more torque, which makes our cars easier to launch, and quicker off the line. Unless of course youre a professional drag racer who has alot of seat time in high revving small displacement engines with peaky power bands.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

FuSi0NJan-29-02 08:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#171, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 18

I know this girl at work who was looking into buying a 2k Celica GT, she took it for a test drive and bitched that is was way too slow for her, especially on the freeway, well she ended up buying a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage and she seems to be satisfied with it.

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

Dualgen2Jan-30-02 01:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#172, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 19

I raced one recently but that same night is when all this shit happened w/ my car so I need to get my bitch tuned w/ my AFC so I dont make a fool outta myself again. I still beat it of course but barely. He is spreading shit around my old HS that he beat me and my car is slow but everytime I see him I cant race him cause I STILL cant get above 4000RPM(be 2 weeks a least). I dont I can beat a Geo Prism shifting at 4000 so I guess Ill have to be patient before car is fixed, then spank is sorry ass. I need to take some anger out on some Civics or something fellas.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

ModeratorVX100Jan-30-02 02:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#173, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 20

Jake, I think you've got it right, they are hard to launch due to the torque being so high in the power band, but if you know what you're doing, they will fly.

But, the average driver out there probably won't launch it very well. The best bet is race in the 1/8th mile, that'd be the best chance of a win.

Also, I found out the new 2002 GT-S celicas have the rev limiter lowered from about 8300 to 7700 rpms because of the valve problems

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

EsiTalon96Jan-30-02 03:16 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2002
89 posts,
#174, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 0

I beat a GT-S once, but it was an automatic. you should probably be able to take a GT, but not a Manuel GT-S

fasterGSJan-31-02 02:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#175, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 22

Hey sorry bout that earlier post... it just makes me angry when people talk about stuff that they have no idea about. And I suppose it is different for me because I do drive the celica quite often. But after reading all this I went out and did a little experimenting. First I tried launching both cars and it is hella different. When you take off in the GS you can just feel the torque, and you can feel it in the gas pedal too. Now the GT-S launched fairly well too, but you have to get the RPM's way up there to realy get it going. And first gear is basically just to get the car rolling, it redlines REAL quick. So in my expert analysis id have to say the eclipse would probably take it off the line, but after the Celica gets high into 2nd gear, its all over. Im gonna have to get someone and race the Celica again..... I will post that when it happens

flossinpnoyracerFeb-01-02 08:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#176, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 23

damm you all IM TALKING ABOUT GT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 GST

1997 RS

Eclipse148celFeb-03-02 06:09 AM
Member since Feb 02nd 2002
143 posts,
#177, "RE: 2gnt VS. CELICAS GT 2000????"
In response to Reply # 0

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm sorry, but if you can't beat a new celica n/a(no matter how many mods they have), i feel sorry for you!

Toyota forgot to put anything good under the hood of that car. it may look good, but my mom's 92 ford escort station wagon can keep up with a gt!! LMAO

No worries, race the car and find out for yourself!!

That's my position!!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #152 Previous topic | Next topic