Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1286
View in linear mode

Subject: "Street Racing Runs?" Previous topic | Next topic
red98eclipseRSMay-24-02 10:25 PM
Member since May 23rd 2002
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1286, "Street Racing Runs?"

I'm curious on how well a 2gnt manual would hold up on the streets against people? i'm most curious about an older cavalier z24, like a 90 and i'm also curious about the newer z24 cav's.... how well would say a 98 rs auto hold up against those guys? Thanks and if you have any other runs with other cars, I think we'd all like to hear them. THANX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Street Racing Runs?, red98eclipseRS, May-26-02 04:55 PM, #1
RE: Street Racing Runs?, fasterGS, May-26-02 05:34 PM, #2
RE: Street Racing Runs?, red98eclipseRS, May-27-02 03:50 PM, #3
RE: Street Racing Runs?, theallpowerfulme, May-30-02 06:45 PM, #4
      RE: Street Racing Runs?, fasterGS, May-31-02 01:34 AM, #5
           RE: Street Racing Runs?, endless73, Jun-12-02 10:30 AM, #6
                RE: Street Racing Runs?, 1bad420a, Dec-31-02 09:00 AM, #7
                     RE: Street Racing Runs?, Cereal5, Dec-31-02 01:49 PM, #8
                          RE: Street Racing Runs?, distort, Jan-17-03 08:52 AM, #9
                               RE: Street Racing Runs?, woo2gnt97, Jan-18-03 06:18 AM, #10
                                    RE: Street Racing Runs?, EAGLE-ECLIPSE, Jun-03-03 10:41 AM, #11
                                         RE: Street Racing Runs?, TeamDR1665, Jun-03-03 02:29 PM, #12
                                              RE: Street Racing Runs?, sdl32, Jun-04-03 05:40 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Street Racing Runs?, Teametx, Jun-04-03 05:49 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Street Racing Runs?, invaznGST, Jun-04-03 08:26 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Street Racing Runs?, python6586, Jun-04-03 11:12 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Street Racing Runs?, sdl32, Jun-04-03 03:59 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Street Racing Runs?, invaznGST, Jun-05-03 03:12 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Street Racing Runs?, sdl32, Jun-05-03 07:12 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: Street Racing Runs?, Collente, Jun-06-03 03:56 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Street Racing Runs?, Twiste, Jun-06-03 12:10 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: Street Racing Runs?, sdl32, Jun-08-03 09:07 AM, #22
                                                                                      RE: Street Racing Runs?, senseiturtle, Jun-11-03 10:19 AM, #23

red98eclipseRSMay-26-02 04:55 PM
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1287, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 0

well i guess no one knows? lol or maybe too embarresed to say? lol i dont know... i would hope a 2gnt could beat a 2000 (2.4) cav but i know that wouldn't be cake.. considerin our engin is 2.0 but i do know that different engines are geared different and stuff.. and i do know that ours has alot of torque(least the manuals do or so i'm told)... well anyway if anyone wants to stick there head in and inlighten me. go for it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSMay-26-02 05:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1288, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 1

There are plenty of cavaliers running around here and I havent lost to any of them. One of them got about a two car length lead on me too.. and I managed to catch up and put some lengths on that guy too. The older cavys might be tougher, they put a v6 on some of those didnt they??

red98eclipseRSMay-27-02 03:50 PM
75 posts,
#1289, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah they did v6 2.8 on the 88 my cousin has.... its speedy, but i took him out today in my car.. (after waxin doing my own custom grill, changin the plugz, and plug wirez.. and oil) car flew it was crazy, with him in the car.. he had no idea what to expect, 1. pealed out for a good 4 seconds.. still going forward but could start to smell some rubber, he was like shit, 2nd gear (hit it around 40) i hit it and the tires chiped, and i about shit then! lol i got it up to prolly 75 i'm guessin shifted again, car pulled forward hard again.. not enough to chirp this time though. doing about 95 on a straight but hilly road.. a truck pulls out in front of me! not havin a clue how fast i was going... could of slammed on the breaks and prolly went out of control, i opted to floor it and went right then back left. barely missin his rear end.. my cousin was like shit that was like off the fast and the furious! hehe. felt kinda good to hear that. after drivin my car today.. i can honestly say.. at least to the manual 2gnt'z that we do'nt have anything to be ashamed of..... i'm alot more proud of my car after today... i can't wait to start moddin now

theallpowerfulmeMay-30-02 06:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1290, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 3

^^^^^^^^askin for a beatin' from the AT guys

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

fasterGSMay-31-02 01:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1291, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 4

hey if you are trying to get your sig to show up, just type in the http:: all the way through .jpg
Leave everything else out and also take out the quotation marks.

endless73Jun-12-02 10:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
253 posts,
#1292, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 5

i beat up on cavaliers before...and so can you }>!!!

Eclipse-15.621 @ 89.5 mph
M3-13.192 @ 111 mph
Pick your poison!
http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.asp?section=profile&username=endless73

1bad420aDec-31-02 09:00 AM
Member since Dec 27th 2002
9 posts,
#1293, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 6

I get into some strret races but not much just when some little punk pulls beside me and reves w/ his woman in the seat next to him .
ok my list consists of : Neon R/T,Saturn sc2,cavalier v6 and 2.4, Honda civic's x5,avenger,pt's ,and some mustangs (not many though.
mods are on my page at
www.cjj-cards.com/1bad420a.htm

-=Still on the bottle=-

-=Still on the bottle=

Cereal5Dec-31-02 01:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#1294, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 7

You guys are retarded. Its gonna take some decent mods to take a even a stock manual z24. My room mate has one, and i get destroyed by it, and he's got fewer mods then me. Check my sig, i have some decent mods. And im a manual. Check the numbers, if you're an auto, you will get owned.

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

distortJan-17-03 08:52 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2003
675 posts,
#2269, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 8

cavaliers arent hard expecially if you have mods. although i have seen some cavaliers (the older gen) that were pretty quick. but its not the size of the engine that always matters. the 4cyl can kill a v8 easy if enough $$ is in it.

96 Eclipse GS

woo2gnt97Jan-18-03 06:18 AM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#2272, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-18-03 06:19 AM by woo2gnt97

I have an auto 97 rs w/ a few basic mods, including the final drive gears and i still get my ass burned when i race my friend's auto 95 cavelier z24. He has just intake and exhaust and usually takes me by about 2 cars in a 1/4 when i have my box w/ the 12'' subs in the back. Not sure how much this helps because his is a 95, the only year with the 2.3 liter engine.

I hear the 2000+ 2.4 ecotecs are faster, and that the manuals on caveliers aren't THAT much faster than autos on caveliers.

Also, same friend with the 95 cav raced a 98 manual gs and was behind him until the gs missed 3rd (haha). And I raced the same gs in my auto and beat him by about 2 cars - was a wierd race though. I know i shouldn't have beat him .. and defintely not by that much. I'm thinking he missed a gear and was too ashamed to admit it again.

Either way, shows a shitty driver makes a big difference.

Also, conclusion I have is that a auto or manual z24 WILL beat an auto 2gnt. I can't say much for a stick though, as i have no experience driving one really heh.

Goodluck either way

Black 97 RS a/t
Final Drive Gears
Nakayama CAI
Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Magnecore Wires

EAGLE-ECLIPSEJun-03-03 10:41 AM
Member since May 23rd 2003
11 posts,
#2969, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 10

I HAVE RACED A CAV BEFORE BEAT IT BY A CAR LENGTH
I RACE EVERY WEEKEND WHEN ITS NOT RAININGI LIVE
IN WA STSTE SO WE DONT GET TO RACE MUCH IN THE WINTER

IVE BEAT

HONDA SI STOCK
2002 ACCORD WITH INTAKE & EXHAUST
ABOUT 5 PROBE GT'S
NEON RT WITH INTAKE AND CAM GEARS
V6 MUSTANG STOCK
96 CAVILER Z24

TeamDR1665Jun-03-03 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#2971, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 11

If those cavies have the same 2.8L MFI V6 that they used in the Gran Prix it's a dog. Mine was good for 130hp at the crank. Now I do believe some some Cavs came with the 3.1L V6 like they put in the Corsicas and Berettas. All lame cars imo.

sdl32Jun-04-03 05:40 AM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
45 posts,
#2972, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 12

street racing is a lot different then at the track imo. you could probably beat him if you launch at 2200 rpm's and he launches from idle. i don't think our cars have a lot of tourque. only 133lbs @ 4800 rpm's. the 96' Z24 has 167lbs @ 5500 rpm's. plus they have 10 more HP stock. but.... from this link

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=2959&mode=full

you can see that i beat the 96 Z24 at the track and he had a better R/T then me. he is a friend of mine and we use to cruise the streets a lot, and he could always take me in second gear. i beat him on the highway cuz he shut off at 110mph though... i'm pretty sure he is the 2.4 I4 5 speed with a short ram intake and muffler.. i have a short ram intake and a pro 1 catback. (both manuals) like someone said it really depends on if someone knows how to drive.

beat:
civics, neons and the R/T, tacoma, sunfires, 89'-98'cavaliers and a 2.2L, explorer, saturns, older accords, probes(haven't had a chance against a GT yet) corsica, V6 mustangs, a few hyundais, kias, del sol, can't remember all of them..i haven't been beaten by much...cuz i know who to race and know who not to. i don't wanna get embarrassed.

sdl32

TeametxJun-04-03 05:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#2973, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 13

never raced a cav. But i beat some guy in a new v6 celica last week by about 2 car lengths. It had a body kit and a wing, i dunno about any engine mods tho.

invaznGSTJun-04-03 08:26 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#2976, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 14

why do you guys care about a cavalier..it's not even a sports car.. it's like me asking "this toyota camry wants to race me..will i win?" :x.. no offense but i wouldn't race some stupid cavalier... if i did i'd only be toying with his car. Now if the cavalier is heavily modded and stuff then it's ok..but those things are slow.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

python6586Jun-04-03 11:12 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#2977, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 15

toyota celicas dont have a v6 only a 1.8l inline 4 but got that vvt-i and puts out like 180hp

sdl32Jun-04-03 03:59 PM
45 posts,
#2978, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 15

>why do you guys care about a cavalier..it's not even a sports
>car.. it's like me asking "this toyota camry wants to race
>me..will i win?" :x.. no offense but i wouldn't race some
>stupid cavalier... if i did i'd only be toying with his car.
>Now if the cavalier is heavily modded and stuff then it's
>ok..but those things are slow.

Z24's are slow compared to your GST but not to an RS or GS...same thing with a camry..well the 3.0 V6 194hp.

sdl32

invaznGSTJun-05-03 03:12 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#2979, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 17

yeah true..but 420a aren't that slow. they should be able to take out most 4 cylinder NA cars on the street..only one i'm positive they would lose to would be an S2000... GSRs usually give 420as the run for the money and preludes too..the rest i think a 420a could beat easily.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

sdl32Jun-05-03 07:12 AM
45 posts,
#2980, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 18

>yeah true..but 420a aren't that slow. they should be able to
>take out most 4 cylinder NA cars on the street..only one i'm
>positive they would lose to would be an S2000... GSRs usually
>give 420as the run for the money and preludes too..the rest i
>think a 420a could beat easily.

For real? yeah i know i can't beat an S2000...i think i can beat a prelude but not V-tech. i tried to at the track and he caught me in third gear. not sure if anything was done to his motor though. i think the integra LS is pretty quick too. never had the chance to race one though. GSR would be close i think..they have no tourque...but in third gear he's catching up. but i'll admit. i love the 420a. i'm really impressed with it..i just want a turbo added

sdl32

CollenteJun-06-03 03:56 AM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#2984, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 19
Jun-06-03 04:03 AM by Collente

Yo... dumbshit cant read
Nick
97RS

TwisteJun-06-03 12:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#2987, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 19

sdl32, where did you get ur wing?

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

sdl32Jun-08-03 09:07 AM
45 posts,
#2995, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 21

>sdl32, where did you get ur wing?

i'm sure you can find in at many places. but i only know you can get it from visracing.com i actually ordered it from a place called radio city here in maine. VIS is just one of their vendors. i'm sure if you searched for "invader type I wing" you'll come up with some stuff...

sdl32

senseiturtleJun-11-03 10:19 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
281 posts,
#3004, "RE: Street Racing Runs?"
In response to Reply # 22

This engine has a lot more torque than one would expect. On the street, this is what matters... the sheer raw ability to turn the wheels.

Here's what I go by, and feel free to add/comment.. Just base it on first hand experience, not racing against your sister.

Z24's are a definite challenge. (more displacement and torque, might be a little lighter too)

Stock 4cyl hondas/acuras are quite beatable, unless signifigant mods have gone into them. Teg's are about equal to our cars, all things considered, so they'll be fun to race. Dont even try a new RSX typeS, unless you got a suprise under the hood. I've seen several run 14's with boltons. Engine swaps are very dangerous.

Celica GT's- not a problem... the engines rev extremely high and the powerband is very small. GTS's will probably catch you a little later down the strip.

Mustangs- Here's a source of debate. Auto mustangs are extremely slow, compared to their GT brothers. 5spd will definitley give you more of a challenge, but I've never seen a nearly stock 6cyl 'stang get out of the low 16's. GT's have just too much torque, and will likely wax you. Mods put those v8's in the 13's with little problem.

Any generic NA 4cyl is a probable win, save for the above exceptions. V6's are a different matter, as some are slow and some are definitley not. Watch out for V6 camrys/avalons (will run 15's with boltons, i promise. I owned one), v6 altimas/maximas and v6 accords.

Any comments/additions welcome.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1286 Previous topic | Next topic