Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4385
View in linear mode

Subject: "12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan_HesOct-28-02 04:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4385, "12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?"

Im not much into car audio, but I just want a little bit of thump to my music. I friend is offering me a 12" MTX sub and some generic amp for $80 -- assuming the amp is only decent, will the setup give me that little bass I want? Im not trying to set records, just a little bit of bass for quality.

Secondly, will a setup like this be compatible with the stock infinity head unit? If not what adaptors do I need?

As you can see Im not a car audio buff, help me out!

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SPL_EclipseOct-28-02 04:20 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4386, "RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?"
In response to Reply # 0

yes, you will probably be happy. our cars have massive cabin gain due to thier design and small interior space, so its pretty easy to get loud if you dont know lots about box theory or construction, stick with a simple sealed box, dont try to get all fancy and get a pre-made bandpass or vented box.

there are two ways to get the signal from the headunit to the amp. the first way id to use a line-level converter. some amps have these built in, and most dont. if you see inputs for left and right + and - inputs, just tap a wire off each side rear speakers + and - and run them to the appropriate terminals. if your amp doesnt have this feature, buy a seperate line-level converter and hook that up inbetween the speaker wire and the amp. it will come with directions.

the second option is to buy the MITAH converter harness that takes the standered round connector from the back of the headunit and converts it into RCA form to work with any aftermarket amp. the only problem is that the headunit will no longer be powering the inside speakers, it will just send a signal to any external amp(s) you have.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMichael_97RSOct-30-02 03:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#4387, "RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, you'll like it. I have 3 12" MTX subs, one in my living room (no it's not being used, decided to do something else with my Eclipse system). I really don't even turn the amp up more than half it's capacity. Sound vry nice with my MTX amps. all depends on it the amp is good enough to drive it. But the sub itself will sound good.

Una salus victus.
He will triumph, who knows when to fight, and when not to fight. - Sun Tzu

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All motor in the making.

Injen CAI, P&P Intake Manifold, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines, AFX 55mm TB (re-installed once exhaust is done, intake was outflowing exhaust)

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

blairsummitOct-31-02 04:16 PM
Member since Jul 01st 2002
64 posts,
#4388, "RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah i have 2 12's in the back and it pounds like a motha. but theres no such thing as to much bump

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy needs one"

1999 Eclipse
bomex 2 front and rear bumpers, blitz side skirts, chrome halo projector headlights, painted center tail section, shaved wing, carbon fiber OEM hood, 3 inch halogen fog lights, and 17 inch motegi ff7 hyper black rims.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4385 Previous topic | Next topic