Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subject12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=4385
4385, 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im not much into car audio, but I just want a little bit of thump to my music. I friend is offering me a 12" MTX sub and some generic amp for $80 -- assuming the amp is only decent, will the setup give me that little bass I want? Im not trying to set records, just a little bit of bass for quality.

Secondly, will a setup like this be compatible with the stock infinity head unit? If not what adaptors do I need?

As you can see Im not a car audio buff, help me out!
4386, RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes, you will probably be happy. our cars have massive cabin gain due to thier design and small interior space, so its pretty easy to get loud.;) if you dont know lots about box theory or construction, stick with a simple sealed box, dont try to get all fancy and get a pre-made bandpass or vented box.

there are two ways to get the signal from the headunit to the amp. the first way id to use a line-level converter. some amps have these built in, and most dont. if you see inputs for left and right + and - inputs, just tap a wire off each side rear speakers + and - and run them to the appropriate terminals. if your amp doesnt have this feature, buy a seperate line-level converter and hook that up inbetween the speaker wire and the amp. it will come with directions.

the second option is to buy the MITAH converter harness that takes the standered round connector from the back of the headunit and converts it into RCA form to work with any aftermarket amp. the only problem is that the headunit will no longer be powering the inside speakers, it will just send a signal to any external amp(s) you have.
4387, RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes, you'll like it. I have 3 12" MTX subs, one in my living room (no it's not being used, decided to do something else with my Eclipse system). I really don't even turn the amp up more than half it's capacity. Sound vry nice with my MTX amps. all depends on it the amp is good enough to drive it. But the sub itself will sound good.

Una salus victus.
He will triumph, who knows when to fight, and when not to fight. - Sun Tzu

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All motor in the making.

Injen CAI, P&P Intake Manifold, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines, AFX 55mm TB (re-installed once exhaust is done, intake was outflowing exhaust)
4388, RE: 12" sub in our cars -- sound decent?
Posted by blairsummit, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah i have 2 12's in the back and it pounds like a motha. but theres no such thing as to much bump ;)
I generated this page in 0.0094091892242432 seconds, executing 7 queries.