Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13118
View in linear mode

Subject: "3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? " This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
95baserOct-05-09 05:42 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
64 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13118, "3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? "

Has anyone thought of this, I have an extra set of 3.5" Infinity Perfects. That I have contemplated putting in the doors, facing the driver and passenger. I would put them in the dash, but that would require bottom mounting to get them to sit flush, and trimming a few where they would sit (they are kind of deep). I know its going to need some modifications. I already have 5.25" Infinity Reference in the stock door locations, plus a set of Pioneer 6x9 4ways in the back. What im getting at, Good Idea or Bad?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? , AdministratorCODE4, Oct-05-09 08:55 PM, #1
RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? , nicho919, Oct-07-09 05:06 AM, #2
      RE: 3.5/, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-07-09 05:39 PM, #3
           RE: 3.5/, 95baser, Oct-08-09 10:59 AM, #4
                RE: 3.5/, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-08-09 11:25 AM, #5
                     RE: 3.5/, 95baser, Oct-08-09 03:43 PM, #6
                          RE: 3.5/, 98_eclipse, Feb-01-11 08:06 PM, #7
                               RE: 3.5/, Moderatorteklein, Feb-02-11 06:00 AM, #8

AdministratorCODE4Oct-05-09 08:55 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13119, "RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? "
In response to Reply # 0

I would say it depends on how willing you are to cut up your dash or modify the door skin.

---

2012 2500HD LML

nicho919Oct-07-09 05:06 AM
Member since Apr 12th 2009
93 posts,
#13120, "RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent? "
In response to Reply # 1

Better to just do it Jaguar XJ220 style and throw a gauge in there. There's a write up in the wiki. I don't think it will look good, and it won't sound good either. Sell it and get better tweeters for the dash.

I'm broke, it's broken. I'm broke because it's broken. It's broken because I'm broke.

Simplicity Car Club - Founding Member

RoninEclipse2GOct-07-09 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13121, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-07-09 05:40 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by nicho919
Sell it and get better tweeters for the dash.

This.

The dash is a much better location for speaker placement than the vents. You'll HATE how obnoxious the highs would be with that small of a speaker mounted that close to you. The dash mount is almost equidistant from your head as the speakers down in the doors (unless you drive like a grandma leaning on the steering wheel) and will give you a much greater range of sound.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

95baserOct-08-09 10:59 AM
64 posts,
#13122, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 3

I have no plans on selling the speakers, I'm sure with a little bit of effort and time/modification, I could get the 3.5" in the dash. I love the way that the highs sound coming out of them. I have never had a true set of tweeters for the fact that I never liked the way they sounded in anyones cars that I have heard in the past. I guess I am going to mark this one as a no go. lol.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

3ska

AdministratorCODE4Oct-08-09 11:25 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#13123, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 4

I replaced my whole stereo system a year and a half ago with some Polk/MOMO 6.5 components & 1" tweeeters. I surface mounted the tweeters in the front to the top of the A-pillars and flush mounted the rear tweeters in the trim panels a few inches forward of the 6.5"s.

Sounds beautiful.

---

2012 2500HD LML

95baserOct-08-09 03:43 PM
64 posts,
#13124, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 5

I basically just pulled the setup I had out of my Benz before I sold it, Kenwood Kdc-mp7028, Infinity Perfect 3.5", Infinity 5.25". Now I have a set of Pioneer 6x9s in the mix.
I loved the way it sounded before, the crystal clear set of highs. Although I think Im going to modify my dash to get my 3.5"s in there. Then eventually add maybe 2 12"s. But for now, my 3.5s are in the garage. Ill use the search button to see how to remove my dash. Thanks all.

98_eclipseFeb-01-11 08:06 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2010
22 posts,
#13125, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 6

I've got a set of polk/momo 6.5 carbon fiber speakers with the matching individual amps and one inch tweeters. All polk/momo and I am wandering about how much I can get from these or what a good trade would be. I'm looking for my next upgrade project for my 98 GS

ModeratortekleinFeb-02-11 06:00 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#13126, "RE: 3.5/"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 98_eclipse
I've got a set of polk/momo 6.5 carbon fiber speakers with the matching individual amps and one inch tweeters. All polk/momo and I am wandering about how much I can get from these or what a good trade would be. I'm looking for my next upgrade project for my 98 GS

This needed a new post in a 1.5 year thread?

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13118 Previous topic | Next topic