Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subject3.5" speaker in A/C door vent?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=13118
13118, 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent?
Posted by 95baser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Has anyone thought of this, I have an extra set of 3.5" Infinity Perfects. That I have contemplated putting in the doors, facing the driver and passenger. I would put them in the dash, but that would require bottom mounting to get them to sit flush, and trimming a few where they would sit (they are kind of deep). I know its going to need some modifications. I already have 5.25" Infinity Reference in the stock door locations, plus a set of Pioneer 6x9 4ways in the back. What im getting at, Good Idea or Bad?
13119, RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would say it depends on how willing you are to cut up your dash or modify the door skin.
13120, RE: 3.5" speaker in A/C door vent?
Posted by nicho919, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Better to just do it Jaguar XJ220 style and throw a gauge in there. There's a write up in the wiki. I don't think it will look good, and it won't sound good either. Sell it and get better tweeters for the dash.
13121, RE: 3.5/
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by nicho919
Sell it and get better tweeters for the dash.

This.

The dash is a much better location for speaker placement than the vents. You'll HATE how obnoxious the highs would be with that small of a speaker mounted that close to you. The dash mount is almost equidistant from your head as the speakers down in the doors (unless you drive like a grandma leaning on the steering wheel) and will give you a much greater range of sound.
13122, RE: 3.5/
I have no plans on selling the speakers, I'm sure with a little bit of effort and time/modification, I could get the 3.5" in the dash. I love the way that the highs sound coming out of them. I have never had a true set of tweeters for the fact that I never liked the way they sounded in anyones cars that I have heard in the past. I guess I am going to mark this one as a no go. lol.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

3ska
13123, RE: 3.5/
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I replaced my whole stereo system a year and a half ago with some Polk/MOMO 6.5 components & 1" tweeeters. I surface mounted the tweeters in the front to the top of the A-pillars and flush mounted the rear tweeters in the trim panels a few inches forward of the 6.5"s.

Sounds beautiful.
13124, RE: 3.5/
I basically just pulled the setup I had out of my Benz before I sold it, Kenwood Kdc-mp7028, Infinity Perfect 3.5", Infinity 5.25". Now I have a set of Pioneer 6x9s in the mix.
I loved the way it sounded before, the crystal clear set of highs. Although I think Im going to modify my dash to get my 3.5"s in there. Then eventually add maybe 2 12"s. But for now, my 3.5s are in the garage. Ill use the search button to see how to remove my dash. Thanks all.
13125, RE: 3.5/
Posted by 98_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've got a set of polk/momo 6.5 carbon fiber speakers with the matching individual amps and one inch tweeters. All polk/momo and I am wandering about how much I can get from these or what a good trade would be. I'm looking for my next upgrade project for my 98 GS
13126, RE: 3.5/
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 98_eclipse
I've got a set of polk/momo 6.5 carbon fiber speakers with the matching individual amps and one inch tweeters. All polk/momo and I am wandering about how much I can get from these or what a good trade would be. I'm looking for my next upgrade project for my 98 GS

This needed a new post in a 1.5 year thread?
I generated this page in 0.0087809562683105 seconds, executing 7 queries.