Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11846
View in linear mode

Subject: "power lock motor placement" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jan-11-06 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11846, "power lock motor placement"

Yes. I have searched and it seems there are a lot of people who just title their thread "locks" or "windows/locks." Here is a specific thread that might help in the future, eh?

I've got the aftermarket actuators ready to go. Motors, harness, relays, bracketry, and actuator extensions. There are no switches being installed with these locks. They will be strictly operated by my alarm. There will no longer be any lock cylinders in the car aside from the never used glovebox and oft used ignition.

I was hoping people who have done this might have a picture of two of how they mounted the motors in the doors. If no pictures, I'd still appreciate comments as to what worked and what did not work in the interest of saving time. I'll be doing this install right after work tonight.

I figure I'll wire up the system in the car and make sure everything works before I get down to final installation of the actuators and adjustment of motion, but I'd like to go into this with a bit of an idea where they go.

Thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: power lock motor placement, Blk95GS, Jan-11-06 08:00 AM, #1
RE: power lock motor placement, TeamDR1665, Jan-11-06 03:59 PM, #2
      RE: power lock motor placement, hs_elrod, Jan-12-06 10:20 AM, #3
           RE: power lock motor placement, TeamDR1665, Jan-12-06 12:11 PM, #4
                RE: power lock motor placement, MCubed45, Jan-12-06 06:44 PM, #5
                     RE: power lock motor placement, TeamDR1665, Jan-12-06 07:06 PM, #6
                          RE: power lock motor placement, MCubed45, Jan-13-06 05:51 PM, #7
                               RE: power lock motor placement, TeamDR1665, Jan-17-06 07:51 AM, #8
                                    RE: power lock motor placement, Chamuko, Feb-03-06 04:51 PM, #9
                                         RE: power lock motor placement, 96eclipse2nr, Feb-10-06 06:53 AM, #10

Blk95GSJan-11-06 08:00 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11847, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 0

I put mine in the top corner behind the door panel, right under the handle. I mounted pieces of the metal strap on the outside edge of the door frame, this sat the actuator just inside the sheet metal and lined it up with the locking arm. Works perfect. You do have to cut the styrofoam block attached to the door panel though. I'll try to find a pic...

-T

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jan-11-06 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#11849, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, man. I gave this a half-hearted shot tonight, but pffft. Too much thought on an empty stomach.

Looks like the "kit" I bought is an accessory pack for some Audiovox alarm system, so the nifty harness they inlcuded that the relays go into is pretty much useless, and I spent most of my time trying to figure out a way to make some use of it. Anyways, here's what I've got...

and these are the relays in the harness

My Alarm, a CODE CA-630 or some shit, has blue and green outputs from the control for lock and unlock. Obviously, they are merely signal wires and I would need to use them to trip the relays to actuate the lock motors. Being someone who always reads the instructions before trying to do something, I got a bit fuckered up due to all the instructions assuming you already have power locks on the car. 1-stage, 2-stage, reverse negative polarity, positive 3 wire, 5 wire, vaccum pump assist, whogivesafuckingshitright?

What I want to know is, could I just connect a constant 12VDC and GND to ONE of the relays and run both motors off of it so both locks do their thing at the same time? Keep in mind, this a system with no keys and no external locking mechanisms.

And, just to show my appreciation for your reading this thread, here's a picture of a Beemer with a ladder stuck in his sunroof that I saw tonight. Faboo.

hs_elrodJan-12-06 10:20 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#11857, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 2

you can run both actuators off one relay.

But to be on the safe after it's all installed, (with actuators under load) lock and unlock a ton of times and see if the relay gets warm. If it gets warm at all I would advise using 2 relays.

I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion.

TeamDR1665Jan-12-06 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#11858, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by hs_elrod
you can run both actuators off one relay. But to be on the safe after it's all installed, (with actuators under load) lock and unlock a ton of times and see if the relay gets warm. If it gets warm at all I would advise using 2 relays. I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

MCubed45Jan-12-06 06:44 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11859, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 4
Jan-12-06 06:45 PM by MCubed45

it depends on your alarm. unless your alarm has built in circuitry for door locks you will probably need 2 relays. one to initate 'locking' the other to initiate 'unlocking'. power is provided to the actuators only for a brief period of time. at rest they just stay where they are. when current flows through the actuator in one direction they 'lock' when it flows through in the opposite direction they 'unlock'. double check how that harness is wired. it may be easiest to keep it and send the appropriate signal from your alarm through the signal wire on the relays.

the relays are most likely wired to have both actuator leads rest at ground. they then provide current to the appropraite lead when a signal is received.

most alarms are NOT made to power door locks directly so you will most likely need 2 relays (one for lock and one for unlock).

*edit*
how many pins on the signal harness to the relays? if it's 4 it's probably +12, ground, lock signal, unlock signal.

-marc

TeamDR1665Jan-12-06 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#11860, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 5

The alarm box has two, 14AWG leads - blue/lock & green/unlock. I'm thinking this means I need to use both relays, then?

MCubed45Jan-13-06 05:51 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11864, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 6

do you have the install manual from your alarm? it all depends on the output on those two leads. some alarms can control motors directly, others need relays. if relays are used you also need to know what kind of output your alarm uses. it's most likely either a postive signal or a ground signal. this affects how your relays are wired.

because you are not doing progressive locks you will essentially be wiring your two actuators in parallel and thus treating them as one actuator. then you will use each relay to ground an actuator lead. (i.e. when when neither relay is energized the actuator leads should both be connected to ground). when the "lock" relay is energized you want it to supply power to actuator lead which will cause the actuator to perform the "lock" movement. the same is done with the "unlock" relay and the other actuator lead.

www.the12volt.com

^^awesome forum with lots've nice pics an stuff. check it out.

-marc

TeamDR1665Jan-17-06 07:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#11871, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks, man. Appreciate the info.

They're still not hooked up, but I'll give this a shot.

ChamukoFeb-03-06 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#11927, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 8

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/doorlocks.asp

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

96eclipse2nrFeb-10-06 06:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#11942, "RE: power lock motor placement"
In response to Reply # 9
Feb-10-06 07:01 AM by 96eclipse2nr

hey driggs, did you ever get them mounted or are you still waiting on pix? i can run out and get some real quick. all i gotta do is whip off the door panel.

oh and im pretty sure you have to use 2 realys..one to unlock, one to lock as chamuko stated

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11846 Previous topic | Next topic