Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11131
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinMay-20-05 02:12 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11131, "Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"

THE FIRST TIME:

<vent> OK.. I blew out the W7 a year or so ago right after I first got it, but it would have been covered under the warranty so I thought... ehh no big deal. I brought it in to the Electronics / Computer Tech class that I teach (high-school students.. grades 9-12) to show my students who were into car audio. Not the brightest idea I guess.. one of the kids was playing with the sub when I wasn't looking and cracked the sub right in the center. Long story short, I had to send it back to JL and pay about $300 to get it fixed. </vent>

NOW:

A friend of mine knows a guy who does inspections and I needed my car done so I left it with him to get it done. Well I guess he went for a little joy ride and had a few chicks in the back seat (or so he says). Anyway... I had the plastic fender cap thing that fell off in the passenger seat area... well someone decided to throw it in the trunk area and when I turned the system on it was against the sub (no grill.. i know.. i know.. kinda my fault there). Anyway now it's cracked again, but it actually still sounds okay. Will it cause any more damage using it as is?

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, a_miller_76, May-20-05 02:16 AM, #1
RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, eclipse_99rs, May-20-05 11:11 AM, #2
      RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, turbo8u, May-20-05 01:05 PM, #3
           RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, SPL_Eclipse, May-21-05 06:55 PM, #4
                RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, DJ420a, May-22-05 06:10 AM, #5
                     RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, SPL_Eclipse, May-22-05 08:15 AM, #6
                          RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!, Ozzmosis86, Jun-26-05 03:02 PM, #7

a_miller_76May-20-05 02:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11132, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, the more you play it the more that crack will grow. If it's in just your dust cap (center) then it will eventually hit the adhesive at the cone and either rip off or continue the crack through the cone.

1. Put a grille on it.
2. Don't let kids touch your shit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_99rsMay-20-05 11:11 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#11133, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 1

3. give that retard a black eye!

myspace.com/coastiecobb

turbo8uMay-20-05 01:05 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#11134, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by eclipse_99rs
3. give that retard a black eye!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

SPL_EclipseMay-21-05 06:55 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11135, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 3

OMGHI2DUCTTAPE.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

DJ420aMay-22-05 06:10 AM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#11136, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Ive repaired subs with black silicone before.

SPL_EclipseMay-22-05 08:15 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11137, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 5

man i was drunk last night...anyway...

anything you add to the cone to seal up the crack is going to add moving mass to the cone, screwing with the t/s paremiters and possibly effecting output. of more concern is the fact that the cone is part of the suspention system. eventually the sub will become so malaligned that it will destroy itself. so... have fun with it while you can or get it reconed.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Ozzmosis86Jun-26-05 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#11247, "RE: Cracked the JL 12W7 AGAIN!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Buy my 13W7!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5785192249

Andy

Check out my homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ozzmosis86/Home.htm

and my pics page:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95705837hSPLvt

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11131 Previous topic | Next topic