Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Introduction + A few questions." Previous topic | Next topic
exitrealityJan-29-08 09:32 AM
Member since Jan 29th 2008
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#142, "Introduction + A few questions."

Hey all. First off, I'd like to say that this is an impressive community, I've found a wealth of technical information just searching through the various topics here. Thumbs up to y'all!

A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old college student who just bought a '99 RS about a month ago with 105k miles. I'd like to start adding performance mods and such (mmm...turbo!), but cash isn't something that I can throw around at the moment. I've done some basic work with engines (changing oil and oil filter, belts, hoses, air filter, etc.) and could probably handle the easy bolt-ons, but would still classify myself as a relative newbie to the world of mechanics. With that in mind, I have a few questions.

1) My car is an automatic. I know this will slow me down, but how much? At what point in my upgrade path would I want to do an auto to manual swap?

2) Cost-wise, would it be better to trade my '99 RS + cash for a 2g GSX and start from there? Most 2g GSX's seem to run for $7-8k in these parts, so would the $3-4k difference buy me the upgrades to essentially make my RS a GSX in the performance department (including the drivetrain swap)?

I probably forgot something, but if I think of anything else I'll just add it later. Thanks a bunch.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Introduction + A few questions. [View all] , exitreality, Jan-29-08 09:32 AM
  RE: Introduction + A few questions., TeamDR1665, Jan-30-08 05:07 AM, #1
RE: Introduction + A few questions., cc8balla, Jan-30-08 02:27 PM, #2
      RE: Introduction + A few questions., exitreality, Jan-30-08 04:51 PM, #3
           RE: Introduction + A few questions., Moderatorcs82685, Jan-30-08 06:06 PM, #4
RE: Introduction + A few questions., GringoEJS, Jan-31-08 11:21 PM, #5
RE: Introduction + A few questions. Turbo 420a, youll be happy, Noogabox, Feb-20-08 01:17 PM, #6

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #142 Previous topic | Next topic