Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Introduction + A few questions." Previous topic | Next topic
exitrealityJan-29-08 09:32 AM
Member since Jan 29th 2008
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#142, "Introduction + A few questions."

Hey all. First off, I'd like to say that this is an impressive community, I've found a wealth of technical information just searching through the various topics here. Thumbs up to y'all!

A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old college student who just bought a '99 RS about a month ago with 105k miles. I'd like to start adding performance mods and such (mmm...turbo!), but cash isn't something that I can throw around at the moment. I've done some basic work with engines (changing oil and oil filter, belts, hoses, air filter, etc.) and could probably handle the easy bolt-ons, but would still classify myself as a relative newbie to the world of mechanics. With that in mind, I have a few questions.

1) My car is an automatic. I know this will slow me down, but how much? At what point in my upgrade path would I want to do an auto to manual swap?

2) Cost-wise, would it be better to trade my '99 RS + cash for a 2g GSX and start from there? Most 2g GSX's seem to run for $7-8k in these parts, so would the $3-4k difference buy me the upgrades to essentially make my RS a GSX in the performance department (including the drivetrain swap)?

I probably forgot something, but if I think of anything else I'll just add it later. Thanks a bunch.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Introduction + A few questions., TeamDR1665, Jan-30-08 05:07 AM, #1
RE: Introduction + A few questions., cc8balla, Jan-30-08 02:27 PM, #2
      RE: Introduction + A few questions., exitreality, Jan-30-08 04:51 PM, #3
           RE: Introduction + A few questions., Moderatorcs82685, Jan-30-08 06:06 PM, #4
RE: Introduction + A few questions., GringoEJS, Jan-31-08 11:21 PM, #5
RE: Introduction + A few questions. Turbo 420a, youll be happy, Noogabox, Feb-20-08 01:17 PM, #6

TeamDR1665Jan-30-08 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#146, "RE: Introduction + A few questions."
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to the board. Glad you like it.

As for the age old question - Should I sell it? You are at a point where you can still decide one way or the other. Sure, who *wouldn't* want a 400hp DSM? But try to keep your feet on the ground. Think about what you like most about your car. Think about what goals you have for the project. Are you going to keep this car long term or only through college? Your answers to these questions will help you make a decision.

Left alone for the most part, your 2GNT will get you to and from class reliably, look good doing so, and spare you from driving a beat ass Kia. While an AWD car might do the same if left alone, finding one that hasn't been fucked with in some way or another will be hard and you will pay a premium for it. The AWD cars come with more maintenance issues (risk) and the additional power means additional cost (fuel/insurance). Being in college, money is tight, so just weigh your options closely.

We'll see you around man.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cc8ballaJan-30-08 02:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#147, "RE: Introduction + A few questions."
In response to Reply # 1
Jan-30-08 02:28 PM by cc8balla

Let me give you some advice from a 22 year old in college. (paying for it myself too)

Keep it. The money the 2gnt saves you in gas is well worth it. Stick with her for 4 years, keep it maintained regularly, and you won't be sorry. When I was your age (about a year or so younger) I spent alot of money building the 420a in my car. Then college came, and I ran out of money before I could boost it. And I am glad I did. She will not be boosted till after I am done with college.

Wait till you are done with college, and settled in somewhere making good money before you play, imo. Things are a ton easier that way.

Welcome, to 2gnt. Glad you have browsed around the board a bit, keep on doing that, and involve yourself! Glad to have you here.

**Edit, didn't read Brian's post. We share the same thoughts.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

exitrealityJan-30-08 04:51 PM
Member since Jan 29th 2008
5 posts,
#148, "RE: Introduction + A few questions."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking it's probably best to wait it out too. While I don't have a problem doing little things here and there over the course of time, anything big is probably going to break my wallet. Considering I have a 22 mile commute one-way, throwing a turbo on there won't help my gas budget either. I probably need to be able to afford another daily driver before I start a big project anyhow.

But nonetheless, I'm sure I can still have fun getting my hands dirty with some less expensive options. I have a feeling I'm in the right place for that sort of thing.

Moderatorcs82685Jan-30-08 06:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#149, "RE: Introduction + A few questions."
In response to Reply # 3

Welcome to the site

Originally posted by exitreality
Considering I have a 22 mile commute one-way, throwing a turbo on there won't help my gas budget either.

It'll be fine as long as you don't boost much, I still get upper 20's

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking it's probably best to wait it out too.

It definetly is. I didn't wait it out, but worst case scenario, I always had some extra cash in my savings to buy a new motor or a new DD if I blew my engine. Turns out I just used that for the downpayment on my Evo and well now it'll be much longer before the eclipse gets its built motor.

But nonetheless, I'm sure I can still have fun getting my hands dirty with some less expensive options.

That you can. If you plan to eventually boost the car, just do some research on what mods you won't end up replacing down the line (ie don't go with an expensive name brand intake or a header if you're going to boost the car. UDP, short shifter, bushings, 5 speed swap, etc. are all great ways to lead up to boost.

I have a feeling I'm in the right place for that sort of thing.

That you are and there's none better. Enjoy your stay.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

GringoEJSJan-31-08 11:21 PM
Member since Sep 06th 2005
30 posts,
#151, "RE: Introduction + A few questions."
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-01-08 04:41 AM by DR1665

I didn't read the rules and posted something for sale.

Until you have 25 technical posts, you have nothing for sale on this site. Thank you.

- Admin

NoogaboxFeb-20-08 01:17 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2008
96 posts,
#216, "RE: Introduction + A few questions. Turbo 420a, youll be happy"
In response to Reply # 0

Think of it as a Turbo Installment plan

Well lets be pretty straight forward, a GSX in good condition may cost 4-6 thousand more than a Non turbo 420a. The cool thing about buying the cheaper car and upgrading it is its affordable. Most kids can only afford things 200 dollars at a time. Which rules out buying a GSX on payments becuase its very likely noone will finance you. However you could buy a turbo for 200, then a turbo manifold for 200 then a tial wastegate for 200 then a FMU for 200 then a Intercooler for 200, and even intercooler piping for 200. The point is for most people its much easier to dump 200 per paycheck for 8-10 weeks and had a turbo system that can run 5 psi boost and be around 200-210hp.
It can be done, I did it a couple months ago and I purchased all fuel equipment from Hahn ( since they have turbcharged so many 420a cars I wanted it to be right) It costs around 1000 in parts to upgrade your fuel pump, fuel hoses ( to stainless), FMU and bigger injecters. Hahn is pretty good and Star doesnt exist anymore but the setup was simple and easy to replicate. I combined the tubonetics turbo, star manifold and hahn fuel system. If you are looking for even a little more performance dont be a wuss. Turbocharging is the best bang for your buck even if you only want a extra 40 hp you will thank me. You can do it and theres many of us to help you! My install for the 420a is here http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2007/12/starnes-420a-turbo-install.html

All the costs that I incurred I listed to the right side. Dont be scared only 2/3 are cost you actually need to spend, I go above and beyond whats absolutly needed.

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #142 Previous topic | Next topic