Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #75734
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Ghetto style" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
siueclipseSep-01-04 07:00 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75794, "RE: Ghetto style"
In response to In response to 20

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
Shit, I was going to go to bed. Now I can't, not until I reply to this wonderful piece of a post by SIUECLIPSE: <quote> i asked bill about a CAI on turbo. he isn't running one from he told me. as far as my car in the rain.. my car never sees rain so im not worried about hydrolocking. as far as running intercooler sprayers, those don't do shit for you unless you are spraying all the time. all they do is make the air cooler making you run leaner. youd have to tune for spraying which wouldn't help you much in my opinion. </quote> Let's look at this one. The first part was alright, and actually resembled logic. If your car sees no rain, then you cannot hydrolock. Going a step further, though, having your filter closer to the ground makes it more prone to grabbing up dust and road shit. A CAI on a naturally aspirated motor does this pretty well, which is why an open element filter needs cleaning frequently, especially if it hanging by the wheel well. Now, add a lower partial pressure, such as is seen in the intake piping before a turbo, and you have a really creative street-vacuum. But that's alright, if you don't mind cleaning the filter weekly and replacing it more frequently then would you otherwise. Now, for the intercooler sprayer. They don't do shit unless they are spraying. When they are spraying, however, they can make a big difference. Why is Mitsubishi bothering to put an IC sprayer on their USDM Evos, when they opted not to include an active center diff? It's not because it is useless. Mitsubishi decided that it would be worth the cost to put it in, where the ACD was not worth it. Secondly, they make the air cooler? You don't say! HEY EVERYBODY! AN INTERCOOLER SPRAYER MAKES THE AIR COOLER! Wait, isn't that the point? Isn't that why we use intercoolers? To cool off the air going into the engine? Isn't that why you are trying to wring the last little bit of your intercrapper with a cold air intake? Another piece of information that I did not know... cold air makes you run lean! I guess that the engineers at Chrysler neglected to install an intake temperature sensor. That's a real shame, because if the car was equipped with a intake air temperature sensor, the car would be able to compensate for things like a cold front. Speed density engine management relies on a few variables... manifold pressure being one of them, manifold volume being another (but this is constant), and manifold air temperature. For this reason, any real fuel management system will not only take into consideration the pressure in a manifold, but also the temperature of the air flowing through it. That is what determines the density of the air. If you are using a fuel management setup that is too dumb to compensate for air temperature in any way, then it is time to rethink your management package. So, back on topic, a CAI is a good way to get that last bit of performance out of a car that is tuned to the limit. In a perfect world, a CAI on a turbo would be a good idea. In the real world, however, there are other better alternatives. I would recommend water injection over intercooler spraying, myself, however.

1. have you ever run a sprayer on your car? interesting.. I have and Ive seen the AFR results from it. It makes you run lean. At least my car does. You tune your car for a certain AFR at a certain air temperature.. etc. Now if you go bringing in another variable that you haven't tuned for, whats going to happen? Your tuning will change because of it.

2. When I spoke with Bill on the phone he stated that he didn't have a cold air. Apparently he does. Good for him.

3. The filter doesn't get as dirty as you would expect. Do you really think that you pick up as much dirt as you are suggesting? Fact of the matter is, you don't. Again here is something you have never tried.

I really think that before you start claiming you know the answers, that you at least have first hand experience with the issues. You can spout off everything you know about temperatures and sensors for the car. Fact of the matter is, before you say you know whats up, it would be nice if you would actually try it out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy

cold air intake on turbo [View all] , siueclipse, Aug-31-04 10:31 AM
  RE: cold air intake on turbo, Mattchew, Aug-31-04 12:13 PM, #1
RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ryan_Hes, Aug-31-04 02:23 PM, #2
RE: cold air intake on turbo, turbo8u, Aug-31-04 02:30 PM, #3
      RE: cold air intake on turbo, GhEttOrAiD, Aug-31-04 02:34 PM, #4
           RE: cold air intake on turbo, djtrickee, Aug-31-04 02:38 PM, #5
                RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-31-04 02:48 PM, #6
                RE: cold air intake on turbo, Mattchew, Aug-31-04 02:49 PM, #7
                     RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ryan_Hes, Aug-31-04 03:14 PM, #8
                          RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ark, Aug-31-04 03:19 PM, #9
                               RE: cold air intake on turbo, ajna_star, Aug-31-04 03:23 PM, #10
                               RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ark, Aug-31-04 03:24 PM, #11
                                    RE: cold air intake on turbo, ajna_star, Aug-31-04 03:24 PM, #12
                               RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ryan_Hes, Aug-31-04 03:38 PM, #13
                                    RE: cold air intake on turbo, Semperboost, Aug-31-04 06:08 PM, #
                                    nothing, Semperboost, Aug-31-04 06:08 PM, #14
                                    nothing, Semperboost, Aug-31-04 06:09 PM, #15
                                    RE: cold air intake on turbo, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-31-04 06:26 PM, #17
                                         RE: cold air intake on turbo, siueclipse, Aug-31-04 06:38 PM, #18
                                              RE: cold air intake on turbo, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-31-04 08:26 PM, #21
                                    Ghetto style, Semperboost, Aug-31-04 06:25 PM, #16
                                         RE: Ghetto style, Ryan_Hes, Aug-31-04 08:02 PM, #19
                                              RE: Ghetto style, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-31-04 08:24 PM, #20
                                                   RE: Ghetto style, Justin99RS, Sep-01-04 06:43 AM, #22
                                                   RE: Ghetto style, turbo8u, Sep-01-04 06:56 AM, #23
                                                   RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 06:57 AM, #24
                                                        RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:03 AM, #26
                                                             RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:05 AM, #27
                                                             RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:06 AM, #28
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:07 AM, #30
                                                             RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:07 AM, #29
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:09 AM, #31
                                                                       RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:09 AM, #32
                                                                            RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:10 AM, #33
                                                                                 RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:13 AM, #34
                                                                                      RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:14 AM, #35
                                                                                           RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 07:23 AM, #36
                                                   RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 07:00 AM #25
                                                        RE: Ghetto style, Ryan_Hes, Sep-01-04 11:55 AM, #37
                                                             RE: Ghetto style, siueclipse, Sep-01-04 01:07 PM, #38
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, TXTurboGS, Sep-01-04 01:18 PM, #39
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, Ducking_Fumbass, Sep-01-04 01:27 PM, #40
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, Dave41079, Sep-01-04 01:48 PM, #41
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, MrSlick, Sep-02-04 04:16 AM, #44
                                                                  RE: Ghetto style, Mattchew, Sep-01-04 02:08 PM, #42
                                                                       RE: Ghetto style, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Sep-01-04 02:55 PM, #43
                                                                       RE: Ghetto style, DarKReaLity, Sep-02-04 04:17 AM, #45
                                                                            RE: Ghetto style, Teametx, Sep-02-04 04:52 AM, #47
                                                                       RE: Ghetto style, widebodied, Sep-02-04 04:33 AM, #46
RE: cold air intake on turbo, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-02-04 06:29 AM, #48

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #75734 Previous topic | Next topic