Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #8542
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665May-02-06 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8624, "RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!"
In response to In response to 26

Originally posted by CopperEclipse96
An 11 second car in the snow doesnt sopund fun to me... AWD or not.

You're flip-flopping, Ian. I do believe, elsewhere in this thread, that you said something to the effect of not wanting to drive either car in the snow. This means that, whatever you end up buying, you're going to have to get the 2GNT running as a winter car. Furthermore, if you wanted to sell the 2GNT to buy a 1G AWD beater for winter, you're still going to have to fix up the 2GNT to avoid being low-balled by every prospective buyer.

I've noticed your sig lists the 2GNT as being broken and sitting for a while now, but I've not seen you posting much in the technical forums. What is wrong with your 2GNT? What have you done to fix it? I've got three words for anyone considering the purchase of a pre-modified DSM.

Burn. The. Blobs.

Andy went from being DSM wannabe to DSM veteran in the span of about three months because he purchased a pre-modified 1G AWD. The car looks bad ass and everyone who's familiar with the set up knows it's got huge potential, but everything that could go wrong with the car, has gone wrong with the car, and I doubt Andy's had more than a couple hours of seat time in the thing. Is he learning a lot? Most definitely. Is he having fun? I like to think he is. Is this what he wanted? I highly doubt it.

Not good enough? Think you've got a leg up on Andy when it comes to DSMs? Okay. Here's another name for you.

FlyinESi

After Dan, well, let's not get into what Dan did or did not do, but the point is, he purchased a decently modded 98 GSX recently - Built 7-bolt, Frank3 turbo, FMIC, assorted odds and ends, the works. Ask Dan what he had to do immediately upon getting the car back to Phoenix. The man has been busy like bee trying to get all sorts of things nailed down on his new ride and often thinks about parting it out or getting that new Mustang. Seriously. I've ridden in his car with a tubular manifold, GT35R, all the shit you wish you had for your own DSM. I've heard the WG dump and seen the fabric of time and space rent before me while he's WOT on the choke line and he still has thoughts of parting it out and getting something new and reliable every day.

When you buy a built DSM, you're not buying mere transportation. You're buying a beast that you chain down at night and have to be capable of pulling in the reigns when needed. At the same time, you have to be ready to take care of the finnicky princess you've just bought, as they have special needs. Built DSMs are singular in purpose - go fast. People don't build with a great deal of reliability as a requirement. They want fast and they want it now. Why is this GSX even up for sale if it's such a sweet car? No doubt an experienced DSMer just getting tired of the never-ending project.

If you've let the 2GNT sit broken this long and no one else on this forum, the single best resource for technical information there is, knows or remembers what happened, then you should stay as far away from this modified GSX as possible. If there is anything worse than having your DSM be down for the count, it's having your DSM go down for the count and owe a lot of money on it.

All that said, pick up a Z. I still remember how silky Derek's boosted Z felt that cool August evening in 2004 and how I was glad Aaron "Nang Nangs" Stanley egged me on to take Derek up on the offer to drive it. That car was why we were able to purchse alcohol almost two hours after curfew - my explanation that I was from Arizona where we can buy nearly 24hrs a day and it was still only 10pm aside.

I say get the Z and enjoy a summer where you can go anywhere you want without concerns about reliability and just put a little time here and there into the 2GNT to get it ready for winter. If you have the chance, sell the 2GNT and pick up that old beater 1G. Otherwise, it is unwise to consider purchasing a car based on its mod potential until such time as you have proven to yourself (since that's all that counts) that you have the tenacity to stick to it and keep the car on the road.

Hope this helps, some.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP! [View all] , CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 11:15 AM
  RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, EclipseSix, May-01-06 11:18 AM, #1
RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CustomGS, May-01-06 11:27 AM, #2
      RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 11:33 AM, #3
           RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Steve, May-01-06 11:46 AM, #4
           RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CarbonFiberRST, May-01-06 11:57 AM, #6
           RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, DanKid, May-01-06 11:49 AM, #5
                RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderatorcs82685, May-01-06 12:08 PM, #7
                     RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Nine5eclipse03, May-01-06 12:52 PM, #8
                          RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, 97eclipse97, May-01-06 01:29 PM, #9
                          RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 01:50 PM, #10
                          RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 01:55 PM, #12
                          RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, boosted60trimrst, May-01-06 01:54 PM, #11
                               RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, destruckeclipse, May-01-06 02:45 PM, #13
                               RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 02:51 PM, #14
                               RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, sonikbewm, May-01-06 03:37 PM, #15
                                    RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderator992gnt, May-01-06 04:14 PM, #16
                                         RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 04:38 PM, #17
                                              RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, BlackMagic, May-01-06 04:57 PM, #18
                                              RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderatorcs82685, May-01-06 06:17 PM, #20
                                              RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, GTAGRIP, May-01-06 06:16 PM, #19
                                                   RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, jsupetran, May-01-06 08:43 PM, #21
                                                        RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, 97eclipse97, May-02-06 02:56 AM, #22
                                                             RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-02-06 05:59 AM, #23
                                                             RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderatorcs82685, May-02-06 06:04 AM, #24
                                                                  RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CustomGS, May-02-06 06:43 AM, #25
                                                             RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-02-06 11:40 AM, #26
                                                                  RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, BlackMagic, May-02-06 01:32 PM, #27
                                                                  RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Moderatorcs82685, May-02-06 02:18 PM, #28
                                                                  RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, TeamDR1665, May-02-06 03:21 PM #29
                                                                       RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-02-06 03:46 PM, #30
                                                                       RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, eclipseman1999, May-02-06 03:58 PM, #31
                                                                       RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, dsmmyth, May-02-06 04:16 PM, #32
                                                                       RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, burntheblobs, May-02-06 05:03 PM, #33
                                                                            RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-02-06 05:35 PM, #35
                                                                                 RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, 97eclipse97, May-02-06 07:37 PM, #36
                                                                                      RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-03-06 12:39 AM, #37
                                                                                           RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, 97eclipse97, May-03-06 04:47 AM, #38
                                                                       RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, eclpsmoneypit95, May-02-06 05:05 PM, #34
                          RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, Blizare, May-03-06 05:15 AM, #39
                               RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-04-06 01:21 PM, #40
                               RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, TeamDR1665, May-04-06 01:49 PM, #41
                                    RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, eclpsmoneypit95, May-04-06 05:56 PM, #42
                                         RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, EclipseRST, May-04-06 08:06 PM, #43
                                         RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, KBallistiks, May-04-06 08:09 PM, #44
                                              RE: I'm so indecisive... can't decide what car I want. HELP!, CopperEclipse96, May-04-06 11:43 PM, #45

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #8542 Previous topic | Next topic