Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31503
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: How's it handle?" Previous topic | Next topic
Warmage12Oct-16-08 01:46 PM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31508, "RE: How's it handle?"
In response to In response to 2
Oct-16-08 01:49 PM by Warmage12

Originally posted by freelancefool
We understeer because we are front wheel drive. When you have X grip for the tires and you are using them to turn, brake, or accelerate, you are splitting the available grip with those functions.

I know all fwd understeer. I guess ours is made worse by our heavy weight. Will an LSD help?

Originally posted by freelancefoolI do it pretty often in my car. Autocross is the best place for me to do it because I can drive 100% and not have to worry about traffic.

Well, videos of GSX'S are pretty common. I've seen one or two of an RS/GS that you know what it is. I've never riden in one or watched one in person. So external first hand experience is limited

Originally posted by freelancefoolWe have a double wishbone front suspension. Not sure if multilink rear is the proper term. I'm pretty sure that you would call it a trailing arm suspension.

I was told it was a Mcpherson strut. But i would take your oppinion over the others anyday...for good reason. Could you say the general idea of the rear is a multi link?...or are the two entirely different things. What are the strengths and weakness of our rears susp. design?

Originally posted by freelancefoolIf your control arms are hitting the inner fenderwell, you have problems. Bump steer can be attributed to bottoming out the suspension. It can also be attributed to harsh damping on the shocks or high spring rates. This is when the suspension does not properly absorb or damp adequately causing the car to jerk around some.

Mine aren'y hitting. I've just heard of it being a problem. That's why i'm askin. I know bump steer is from going tooooo low, and that's not a problem for me. I'm not an "as low as you can go" person. But bump steer from TOO strong dampening? that's a new one to me. I guess if it was lowered and the shock is stiff the whole assembly would move and have to go somewere. by jerk, do you mean left to right or up and down?

Originally posted by freelancefoolYou are not being smooth or fluid. By 'powering out', you are still understeering. You just don't realize that you have a large slip angle. You are essentially turning the wheel much more than it needs to be turned because the tires are slipping. To get a front wheel drive car that is heavy to rotate, you would need to focus on the rear of the car. You will need to limit the amount of grip that you have back there. Removing rear camber typically isn't a good idea on a street car. You would need to inflate your rear tires more. For every 1psi over the suggested limit, you can roughly figure that you will have the same effect as increasing your spring rate 10lbs/inch. The best way to limit grip would be to install a larger rear sway bar.

So i'm just over compensateing in a slide? I figured it was something inaccurate like that but nothing indicated that i was sliding. No tire squeel, smoke, or anything.

So make the back end stiffer all the way around? or just a sway bar? What about other after market suspension things? I know coilovers are def good. What about making my fronts "underinflated" and leaving the rears as normal? would that work too. Antyhing i should do to the front end?

Originally posted by freelancefoolYou should drive responsibly on the street and keep everything else on the track. When you upset the balance of the car in the middle of a turn by 'ripping' the wheel you are forcing more weight to the outside rear of the car. When you tap your brakes because there is an unforeseen obstacle, you will shift the weight forward rapidly unloading the rear suspension causing the car to spin out.

I've only done it twice and i don't anymore. I'd love to do autox but i work two jobs, one full time. And i have no support. No one to go with me or show me what to do, how to sign up and were to go. I've been to the SCCA website and was kinda confused. I never touch the brakes once i'm "in" a hard turn. I've done light, and i mean very light, e-braking. But my front springs are cut, and that 'cut' any feeling i recieve from the front suppension. So i've quit tryin to corner with any sort of force. It did make it noticeably better in drag race...that and the massive wheels i have...

Originally posted by freelancefoolAutocrosses are meant to be small and tight. If it were long and sweeping it would probably be NASCAR. Eclipses can be very competitive in there class. If I could get more seat time, I would be more competitive in SM or ESP. I run in SM because no one here runs in ESP. I'm not as competitive as I could be due to a couple of funky mods.

I understand that completely. I'm not complaining. It kinda has to be that way for it to be a challenge. That;s also why there are classes. And i would think we would be competitive in our class. If i could think of the cars we're up against...

How do you think we'd do against other un-eletronically controlled fwd and even awd...like a gsx or a subaru rs?

I love my car...
I love Horsepower...
I love reliability...
So why do i own a DSM again?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

How's it handle? [View all] , Warmage12, Oct-15-08 04:57 PM
  RE: How's it handle?, Moderatorteklein, Oct-16-08 02:29 AM, #1
RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Oct-16-08 03:16 AM, #2
RE: How's it handle?, djtrickee, Oct-16-08 05:22 AM, #3
RE: How's it handle?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-16-08 11:07 AM, #4
RE: How's it handle?, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-26-08 01:01 PM, #21
RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-16-08 01:46 PM #5
      RE: How's it handle?, Moderatorteklein, Oct-16-08 02:13 PM, #6
      RE: How's it handle?, 95eclipse420A, Oct-16-08 02:17 PM, #7
           RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-16-08 02:54 PM, #8
                RE: How's it handle?, Moderatorteklein, Oct-16-08 03:58 PM, #9
                RE: How's it handle?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-16-08 05:18 PM, #10
                RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Oct-16-08 09:40 PM, #11
                     RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-17-08 02:58 AM, #12
                          RE: How's it handle?, Slo2g, Oct-17-08 03:06 AM, #13
                          RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Oct-17-08 04:42 AM, #14
                               RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-17-08 07:36 AM, #15
                                    RE: How's it handle?, Moderatorteklein, Oct-17-08 08:48 AM, #16
                                         RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-17-08 04:16 PM, #17
                                              RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Oct-17-08 04:38 PM, #18
                                                   RE: How's it handle?, Warmage12, Oct-17-08 05:16 PM, #19
                                                        RE: How's it handle?, mojorob, Dec-26-08 06:12 AM, #20
                                                             RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Dec-27-08 11:34 AM, #22
                                                             RE: How's it handle?, 2GNT_95eclipse, Dec-27-08 12:11 PM, #23
                                                                  RE: How's it handle?, 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-27-08 05:48 PM, #24
                                                                       RE: How's it handle?, scorpo86, Feb-17-09 08:35 PM, #25
                                                                            RE: How's it handle?, freelancefool, Feb-17-09 10:07 PM, #26
                                                                                 RE: How's it handle?, Guinnesskhan, Feb-20-09 08:03 PM, #27

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31503 Previous topic | Next topic