Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #642
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Ignition system or megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSApr-12-05 02:55 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#643, "RE: Ignition system or megasquirt"
In response to In response to 0
Apr-12-05 03:03 PM by XtremeRS

Originally posted by jimmy169
I tried to search this and my dumb ass just doesn't understand it. It seems megasquirt can control ignition but I am still not positive if I need this or not: Crane HI-6DI2 CD - $480 Screamin Demon coil 40,000 volts - $70 My stock ignition isn't cutting it, it seems most ppl go with this but since it cost $480 bux, can I get the megasquirt instead of the Crane or would I need the Crane system anyway even if I had the megasquirt to control ignition. I strongly apologize for such a newbie question and tried to search but my knowledge with all this is too short to understand...from what I read it seems megasquirt can control ignition but then why does it seem that everyone is still using the Crane ignition controller or w/e it is if the megasquirt is cheaper.

Well the main function of the Crane is to up the primary voltage to your coil pack, and it may also have timing retard features, ect..You can use the Crane with the stock coilpack, or the screamin demon coil pack. The more powerful the spark the better, esp when running higher levels of boost, where it takes more spark energy to help light off the rich, dense A/F mixture.

These two pieces really have nothing to do with running the Megasquirt, at least not directly. The MS just takes the place of the stock ECU, sending trigger signals to the coilpack(via a Mitsu Ignitor, or GM HEI modules-MS provides 2 trigger signals to a Ignitor, then from the ignitor to the coilpack)(one trigger per coil). The MS in no way improves spark energy like the Crane or MSD units. Several people have tried to use the MSD box with the MS and no ignitor, but haven't had much luck with it. The main real benefit of using the MS for ignition control, is the ability to set timing advance at wherever you want it, pressure vs rpm. That's the downfal to the Crane and MSD ignition boxes where they can dial in a set amount of timing retard, but most cant do it pressure vs rpm(although the MSD programmable can with a added on map sensor). So the MS IMO, will be the best choice to start out with, because you now have complete control of timing advance under boost, something you cant do with the stock ECU. This will let you dial in power under boost, for whichever octane fuel, boost,ect.. you run, and let you run closer to the edge of tuning and making good power.

So really, you dont need the Crane or upgraded coilpack using the MS for ignition control, but you can also use both of these with the MS if you wish, as it will help provide a stronger spark. YOu would connect the Crane to the outputs of the Mitsu Ignitor or GM HEI's, and from the Crane to whichever coilpack you use. I don't know if anyone has actually done this type of setup yet with the MS though, so I dont know if it would work or how well it works-i would think it would work fine though.. Hopefully this makes some sense.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Ignition system or megasquirt [View all] , jimmy169, Apr-12-05 07:09 AM
  RE: Ignition system or megasquirt, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-12-05 02:55 PM #1
RE: Ignition system or megasquirt, jimmy169, Apr-12-05 03:18 PM, #2

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #642 Previous topic | Next topic