Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2796
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-11-06 03:40 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2808, "RE: Questions"
In response to In response to 7
Dec-11-06 03:46 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Originally posted by rs-pssst
With Portfueler and higher horsepower: You will most likely be running so rich (to lower your cylinder temps) that you will be washing out the oil that helps protect your pistons. If you are thinking of running any kind of reliable high HP car on our platform, you really want to have timing control. That way you can control detonation without sacrificing the longevity of your (expensive) pistons. Ask how many of us used to have stock pistons, running 8psi and wanted to dial it up a couple more pounds, or did a long pull in fifth gear. You will not want to replace those JE's. I don't want to scare you, but so many of us have gone that way. Portfueler is merly a quick bandaid to a problem, which in tern, causes other problems. I know because I used to have portfueler and now have MS. I have also dissassembled (multiple times ) my block and noticed the fuel washing out the pistons, causing excess friction, and scuffing the skirts of the pistons. FYI, I have recently been running (reliably, engine wise) 21psi, on a S16G, daily driver, for over a year now.

This is very wrong. Incorrect tuning is known to cause damage. The portfueler is a very good alternative to the MS. It is recommended you acquire an ignition box to retard timing IF you need it. 400HP has been achived withot retarding timing and with a 12:1 fuel mixture.

You need to look into what best suits you, the tuner. If MS is a bit much for you then the portfeuler is the next best thing.

It takes much more fuel than you realize to "wash" out a cylinder. Any antique carburated tuner can prove that one. My antique mopar prolly idles at 11:1 and my cylinders look just fine.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Questions [View all] , zmaher001, Dec-09-06 12:04 PM
  RE: Questions, rs-pssst, Dec-09-06 07:27 PM, #1
RE: Questions, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-09-06 07:39 PM, #2
      RE: Questions, zmaher001, Dec-10-06 05:29 AM, #3
           RE: Questions, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-10-06 07:38 AM, #4
                RE: Questions, zmaher001, Dec-10-06 08:42 AM, #5
                     RE: Questions, BlackMagic, Dec-10-06 12:55 PM, #6
                          RE: Questions, rs-pssst, Dec-10-06 04:11 PM, #7
                               RE: Questions, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-11-06 03:40 PM #8
                                    RE: Questions, Chamuko, Dec-12-06 07:03 AM, #9
                                         RE: Questions, zmaher001, Dec-12-06 01:38 PM, #10
                                              RE: Questions, Chamuko, Dec-13-06 07:39 AM, #11
                                              RE: Questions, BlackMagic, Dec-13-06 07:57 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Questions, zmaher001, Dec-13-06 12:46 PM, #13

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2796 Previous topic | Next topic