Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #115896
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: A lot of time, money, and passion" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamdougie2Mar-10-07 04:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#115920, "RE: A lot of time, money, and passion"
In response to In response to 23

Originally posted by DR1665
First of all, with regards to why you might feel like you catch some shit over here, this board got to where it is by people getting tired of other DSMers treating them like less of a person just because they drive a 420A.

I tend to disagree here. I've been here for a long while and I personally feel that this board got to where it is by having more experienced members helping the new members achieve their goals. You see less and less of that these days and more responses like "search first newb" and "if have have to ask this question then you shouldn't even try".

In order to go faster, you have to be smarter.

Again, I disgree... you just have to have money, and a discussion board with people willing to lend advise and information.

You've got a lot of mods done at this point and, if you installed them yourself, you obviously know a thing or two, but all you gotta do is think of your posts in the technical sections over here like you were, say, applying for a race technician job. On the bright side, we're adults over here

Riiiight. Read back through all the posts in this thread and tell me that our senior memebers are actually offering any help. Everyone just wants to make fun of this guy because he doesn't phrase things well. Way to go.

You can dial the overlap out of the Crower 3s, but then you've pretty much negated any gains you might get from them.

Sorry, but this is plain wrong. It helps nobody to just repeat random stuff that you read on the internet and present it as advise to someone looking for help. Have you ever installed these cams in your motor and dialed out some overlap? Did you make less power? Was the car slower?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend using Crower 3's or Crane 18's in a small street turbo setup. But for the guys using big turbos and big boost, these cams are the only choice... and they work great! How do I know? I tried for myself.

Finally, your friends talking up AEM EMS are stupid. Very few people in the DSM community - 420a or 4G63 - bother with it. It's too much money and not enough support.

Again, you can't just read what others post on various discussion boards and recommend it as advise. The AEM EMS is great. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but there are a LOT of DSMs out there using it. A lot of VERY FAST DSMs using it. The interface is fairly nice, and it has some advanced features and functions that you won't find in basic DIY systems like MegaSquirt. It's far from bullshit, Brian... actually, we'll probably pull the MegaSquirt off of my brother's GSX and use the AEM sometime in the future. We're only building it to make 800+ HP though, so the shitty AEM should be fine.

you're better off spending $500 or less and getting all the fuel and ignition timing you'll ever need for you car.

Hmmm... I must be doing something wrong then, because I'm finding limitations in the MegaSquirt's 12x12 fuel and ignition tables. Try changing the bins to range from 0-10,000 RPMs and 0-400 KPA. Then try to tune it to be half-way streetable. You'll see what I mean. The AEM's tables are 25% larger, at 16x16.

I'm not trying to be an absolute ass (ok, maybe a little bit)... but maybe you guys could offer a little advise from lessons learned by working on cars yourself.

My advise to the OP would be that the Crower 3 cams will be great, if you're going to boost it real high on something like a GT35R or bigger. For a 20G setup boosting 15-30 PSI, go with a set of Crane 16s. Crane 14s absolutely suck if you're looking to make any decent horsepower. They move up the powerband, but introduce a plethora of other issues when you try to make big power. That's just my advise from experience though.

Originally posted by DarkOne
Two words: Overlap and reversion. Excessive overlap causes reversion, and reversion causes detonation. Detonation breaks things. Crower stage 3 cams have far, far too much overlap for a forced induction engine.

Very very true. Finally some accurate info, except for the last part. If I recall correctly, the Crower 3s have a little less overlap than the Crane 18s and with less exhaust duration and lift.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A lot of time, money, and passion [View all] , TEAM OVER REV, Feb-28-07 08:07 PM
  RE: ALOTTA, TIME, MONEY, PASSION, LATER......., XMasta19, Mar-01-07 06:38 AM, #1
RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, cc8balla, Mar-01-07 09:53 AM, #2
      RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, djtrickee, Mar-01-07 10:03 AM, #3
           RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TeamDR1665, Mar-01-07 02:50 PM, #5
                RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, chris712vt, Mar-01-07 03:54 PM, #6
                RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-03-07 12:29 AM, #14
RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, CustomGS, Mar-01-07 10:20 AM, #4
RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, ThePerfectShift, Mar-02-07 05:27 AM, #7
      RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, RedLineInc07, Mar-02-07 10:00 AM, #8
           RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TEAM OVER REV, Mar-02-07 12:36 PM, #9
                RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-02-07 01:19 PM, #10
                     RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, totaleclipse_05, Mar-02-07 01:56 PM, #11
                     RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, djtrickee, Mar-02-07 03:36 PM, #12
                          RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TEAM OVER REV, Mar-02-07 09:43 PM, #13
                               RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, eclipsekaiser, Mar-03-07 03:38 AM, #15
                               RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, shazow1969, Mar-03-07 04:19 AM, #16
                               RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TEAM OVER REV, Mar-03-07 09:25 AM, #17
                                    RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, eclipsekaiser, Mar-03-07 09:34 PM, #19
                                    RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-03-07 10:54 PM, #20
                               RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, djtrickee, Mar-03-07 09:29 AM, #18
                                    RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TEAM OVER REV, Mar-04-07 05:24 AM, #21
                                         RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TEAM OVER REV, Mar-04-07 05:27 AM, #22
                                              RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, TeamDR1665, Mar-04-07 09:15 AM, #23
                                              RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, Teamdougie2, Mar-10-07 04:21 AM #26
                                              RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-04-07 09:36 AM, #24
                                                   RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, grain, Mar-07-07 04:35 PM, #25
                                                        RE: A lot of time, money, and passion, dsm97gsclipse, Apr-07-08 04:46 PM, #27

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #115896 Previous topic | Next topic