Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #104041
View in linear mode

Subject: "Needs low-end torque" Previous topic | Next topic
N4cerApr-28-07 04:53 AM
Member since Aug 27th 2006
80 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104041, "Needs low-end torque"

DISCLAIMER: I've searched and searched, and can't find anything specific to this.

My Eclipse is my daily driver. It's a 1995 Eclipse GS. I already have my toy fast car, and this isn't it. I want better drivability instead of max speed.

What can I do to give it more balls down low? I mean, it runs great in the upper RPMs as we all know, but down low off the line, just driving normal, it's pathetic. What mods would be good for balls down low? Or should I go with a small turbo that spools low in the RPM range, and a good FMIC since it'll be in boost a lot? NOTE: NO MATTER WHICH ROUTE I GO, I'D LIKE TO USE MOSTLY USED PARTS SINCE MOST OF MY MONEY GOES TO MAKING THE SS WHAT I WANT IT TO BE. I'm thinking this if I stay NA (tell me what else you think):
Header/exhaust (nothing TOO loud)
CAI or short ram
Maybe cam gears?
Is there a cam swap that gives mostly low end balls? Based upon my limited cam knowledge, I can't see it happening without making it a turd in the rest of the rev range. But you guys know WAY more than me on the 420A.

If not, I'm thinking of piecing together a cheap turbo setup, since I'm NOT wanting it to outrun ANYTHING. Just to be more fun to drive. From reading here, I'm seeing that 5-8psi is totally reliable if done safely with heat control in mind. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tell me if this is along the right lines:
- mostly used parts -
14b
12:1 FMU (is this too outdated for like 5-8psi?)
FMIC (would a used SMIC be okay for this low level of boost, or is the FMIC worth it in performance gains?)
Piping
Catback (used stock GS-T?)
Manifold (does somebody make one, or will I have to make it myself?)
EGT and boost gauges
Will I need bigger injectors or a bigger fuel pump?

Anybody got any help for me? I greatly appreciate it. I know the info is all probably in the site, but it would take SOOO long to dig through all of it. It's hard to do that when some of you guys are total gurus on here and can answer this easier than squeezing out a small fart. After all, it is a "discussion board" and not a "sticky board". Thanks fellas.

1995 Eclipse GS - bone stock
2000 Camaro SS - heads/cam/bottle

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Needs low-end torque [View all] , N4cer, Apr-28-07 04:53 AM
  RE: Needs low-end torque, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-28-07 05:11 AM, #1
RE: Needs low-end torque, N4cer, Apr-28-07 05:25 AM, #2
      RE: Needs low-end torque, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-28-07 07:32 AM, #3
           RE: Needs low-end torque, N4cer, Apr-28-07 08:16 AM, #4
                RE: Needs low-end torque, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-28-07 08:43 AM, #5
                     RE: Needs low-end torque, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-28-07 12:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Needs low-end torque, N4cer, Apr-28-07 12:58 PM, #7
                               RE: Needs low-end torque, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-28-07 11:16 PM, #8
                                    RE: Needs low-end torque, N4cer, Apr-29-07 05:08 PM, #9
                                         RE: Needs low-end torque, goalie40, Apr-30-07 09:07 AM, #10
                                              RE: Needs low-end torque, RallyEclipse98, Apr-30-07 12:37 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Needs low-end torque, goalie40, Apr-30-07 12:57 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Needs low-end torque, RallyEclipse98, Apr-30-07 01:08 PM, #13

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #104041 Previous topic | Next topic