Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectNeeds low-end torque
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=104041
104041, Needs low-end torque
Posted by N4cer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
DISCLAIMER: I've searched and searched, and can't find anything specific to this.

My Eclipse is my daily driver. It's a 1995 Eclipse GS. I already have my toy fast car, and this isn't it. I want better drivability instead of max speed.

What can I do to give it more balls down low? I mean, it runs great in the upper RPMs as we all know, but down low off the line, just driving normal, it's pathetic. What mods would be good for balls down low? Or should I go with a small turbo that spools low in the RPM range, and a good FMIC since it'll be in boost a lot? NOTE: NO MATTER WHICH ROUTE I GO, I'D LIKE TO USE MOSTLY USED PARTS SINCE MOST OF MY MONEY GOES TO MAKING THE SS WHAT I WANT IT TO BE. I'm thinking this if I stay NA (tell me what else you think):
Header/exhaust (nothing TOO loud)
CAI or short ram
Maybe cam gears?
Is there a cam swap that gives mostly low end balls? Based upon my limited cam knowledge, I can't see it happening without making it a turd in the rest of the rev range. But you guys know WAY more than me on the 420A.

If not, I'm thinking of piecing together a cheap turbo setup, since I'm NOT wanting it to outrun ANYTHING. Just to be more fun to drive. From reading here, I'm seeing that 5-8psi is totally reliable if done safely with heat control in mind. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tell me if this is along the right lines:
- mostly used parts -
14b
12:1 FMU (is this too outdated for like 5-8psi?)
FMIC (would a used SMIC be okay for this low level of boost, or is the FMIC worth it in performance gains?)
Piping
Catback (used stock GS-T?)
Manifold (does somebody make one, or will I have to make it myself?)
EGT and boost gauges
Will I need bigger injectors or a bigger fuel pump?

Anybody got any help for me? I greatly appreciate it. I know the info is all probably in the site, but it would take SOOO long to dig through all of it. It's hard to do that when some of you guys are total gurus on here and can answer this easier than squeezing out a small fart. After all, it is a "discussion board" and not a "sticky board". Thanks fellas.
104042, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by N4cer
I want better drivability instead of max speed. What can I do to give it more balls down low?

These things don't respond too well to bolt ons so I'd say stroker, 2.4l swap (from the cloud cars cirrus/stratus) or small turbo. Personally I think I'd go with the 2.4 swap in your position or a small turbo setup, both are going to require a bit of reading and research, the swap will require more fabrication though.

I want better drivability instead of max speed. What can I do to give it more balls down low? Tell me if this is along the right lines: - mostly used parts - 14b 12:1 FMU (is this too outdated for like 5-8psi?) FMIC (would a used SMIC be okay for this low level of boost, or is the FMIC worth it in performance gains?) Piping Catback (used ock GS-T?) Manifold (does somebody make one, or will I have to make it myself?) EGT and boost gauges Will I need bigger injectors or a bigger fuel pump? Anybody got any help for me?

12:1 fmu is fine for stock injectors and 5-8psi on a 14b. You can use a stock dsm SMIC and get one for cheap. You won't need bigger injectors, but you will need a walbro 255lph hi-pressure pump (you can get the 190 but I think they are virtually the same if not the same $$ wise)
104043, RE: Needs low-end torque
Thanks bro. I've seen your posts and you seem to really know your stuff. Any ideas where to find a turbo manifold?
And do you think this is even okay to do to a daily driver?
I agree on the Walbro. I just put one in the SS. It was super easy. And thankfully, the Eclipse seems like it will be also. Do I need to upgrade the fuel pump wiring for my application? I know I had to on the SS, but that kinda uses a little more fuel. LOL!
104048, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks bro. I've seen your posts and you seem to really know your stuff. Any ideas where to find a turbo manifold? And do you think this is even okay to do to a daily driver? I agree on the Walbro. I just put one in the SS. It was super easy. And thankfully, the Eclipse seems like it will be also. Do I need to upgrade the fuel pump wiring for my application? I know I had to on the SS, but that kinda uses a little more fuel. LOL!

You don't need to rewire your fuel pump but some people do.
It's a really easy installation, shouldn't take more than 1 hour from the very start to the very finish.

As for manifolds, might have to go the custom route, I think you can mod your stock exhaust manifold. Just do a quick search in the turbo section for 14b manifold should help you out a bit

Here's a couple threads to get you started
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=97644&mode=full

14b bolted to stock mani:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=83141&mode=full

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=36636&mode=full
104051, RE: Needs low-end torque
Thanks, bro. And stupid question, but 5-8lbs... what octane do I wanna run?
104054, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any time you're going to add pressure run 91 min unless you're at an altitude of 9000+ ft
104057, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you had to put on just one single thing; MSnS.

104058, RE: Needs low-end torque
Yeah? Tell me why, and what it'll help. I mean, I have heard of the MS, but I freely admit that I'm not too familiar with it. I know the shop who does my LS1 has used a MS on an LT1 engine, but fill me in on how a lone MSnS will help. I wanna learn, and get all I can safely get from my car.
104061, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah? Tell me why, and what it'll help. I mean, I have heard of the MS, but I freely admit that I'm not too familiar with it. I know the shop who does my LS1 has used a MS on an LT1 engine, but fill me in on how a lone MSnS will help. I wanna learn, and get all I can safely get from my car.

The stock ECU sucks balls. MSnS gives you adjustability for spark and fuel. THIS will unlock the most power in one step. Being able to lean her out and bring up timing will definitely add some pop for you. How much on a stock set-up is unknown. But with the MSnS, you are putting down a pretty important building block to any future mods, as well.

To give you an idea of how it can help, I gained .4 in the quarter solely on my MSnS install!
104068, RE: Needs low-end torque
I see that. But with this being my daily driver, I'm not sure I have the time for all the wiring involved and the possible mistakes along the way with that wiring. I can't find a direct plug-in kit for it anywhere. Only one that plugs into one side and you have to splice into the car side, I think. I'm sure the tuning could be done relatively easily, by looking at the software.
104081, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well you are talking adding a turbo so i cant see how msns will be a lot of work. less work for sure, compared to adding a turbo and it will give you that punch you are looking for.
104087, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by RallyEclipse98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by goalie40
well you are talking adding a turbo so i cant see how msns will be a lot of work. less work for sure, compared to adding a turbo and it will give you that punch you are looking for.

That sounds awesome!!!! You don't have to be a '97 to run MSnS do you? I don't think so but just to be sure.:thumbsup
104088, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nope you are all good there is a guy here that is N/A with msns do a search ahh never mind a present here ya go.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=89078&mode=full
104089, RE: Needs low-end torque
Posted by RallyEclipse98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by goalie40
nope you are all good there is a guy here that is N/A with msns do a search ahh never mind a present here ya go. http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=89078&mode=full

Yeah I did search and read that. Just making sure. Thanks!
I generated this page in 0.010950088500977 seconds, executing 7 queries.