Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4510
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Talon 97 TCU" Previous topic | Next topic
igounfazedSep-18-06 02:46 AM
Member since May 05th 2005
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4516, "RE: Talon 97 TCU"
In response to In response to 3
Sep-18-06 02:48 AM by igounfazed

Very carefully put it all back together, reinstall it, and hope to God you didn't just fuck your transmission into cock's hat.

I can understand the curiousity aspect of things, as I've always been curious about electronic devices myself, but to take the TCM out of your car, open it up when you have no need to do so, and then comment that you're actually considering removing the components so you, in your infinite wisdom and EE from MIT, can test the "quality" of components (that you would likely replace with pieces from Radio Shack or, dare I say it, eBay) one at a time, is absolutely scary, man. Most people start with something simple like the gauge cluster. At least then you only risk not knowing how fast you're going or how much gas you have left in the tank. You're toying with completely disabling your vehicle.

Wowsers.

Well, you are partly right. I am doing this out of curiosity. But I am not taking components out. I have a HUNTRON here. Put one lead to ground and the other on one side of the component and a symbol shows on the monitor. For instance: A good capacitor is a circle. So again, no components are being removed.

Components do age though. For instance, Capacitors leak, transitors loose PN junction resistance, and mini components open from heat, vibration, or improper placement. A slew of things can happen (including me giving it some ESD damage - which doesn't take much).

As for Radiohack. Whats wrong with their parts? I made a really good A/F gauge (Corbin's) with parts from Radiohack and Newark. Even parts from eBay are good. I have one seller from the UK which gives great prices on xtls (crystals) - and that includes shipping prices also (fixed my friends thumbdrive with one). None of those components were purchased bad.

So I already did the gauge thing. Just moving up a little.

Yeah, I don't have an EE from MIT, and no where near the experience of one of there graduates. But I am an Electronics Technician (ET). So I do have the fundamentals needed. That and access to cool equipment. Besides, I never heard of Einstein going to MIT or the like. (Not that I'm anwhere near a part percent of him.)

Never-the-less. I appreciate all of your concerns. They are well placed and stated. And I will take them to heart, as I see how this thing works.

I mean. How many people here have actually seen the inside of their - or of any - TCU? You can't make good things better, if you don't know anything about it. (That's part of our traing to be ET's, we get bad gear, try to find out why, then find a way to fix it. *Usually Radiohack.)

As for the conformal coating. Looking into buying some more. Its not hard to re-pour some into the square house the PCB is in.

~igounfazed!

Ps: NOTHING broke with the bolt and vise-clamp. Worked just great!

"in hell its dark and grusome
but fire can light the way
and all whom hide in shadows
will brave to have the day"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Talon 97 TCU [View all] , igounfazed, Sep-12-06 06:36 AM
  RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-12-06 12:32 PM, #1
Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-14-06 06:33 AM, #2
      RE: Talon 97 TCU, TeamDR1665, Sep-14-06 06:54 AM, #3
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-14-06 03:35 PM, #4
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, turbo8u, Sep-14-06 03:49 PM, #5
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-18-06 02:46 AM #6
                RE: Talon 97 TCU, cougar694u, Sep-18-06 06:21 AM, #7
                     RE: Talon 97 TCU, TeamDR1665, Sep-18-06 07:48 AM, #8
                          RE: Talon 97 TCU, Chamuko, Sep-18-06 08:24 AM, #9
                          RE: Talon 97 TCU, cougar694u, Sep-19-06 02:26 AM, #12
RE: Talon 97 TCU, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-18-06 09:01 AM, #10
RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-18-06 12:43 PM, #11
      RE: Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-19-06 03:11 PM, #13

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4510 Previous topic | Next topic