Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1219
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSJan-18-02 04:49 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1223, "RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)"
In response to In response to 0

Well looks like from your specs on the equip, you have DVC subs and a monoblock amp capable of going down to 2 ohms. Well you already are loosing out on grabbing max power from the amps since you have DVC subs, because you can only wire to 2 or 8 ohms. Now since you have 2 subs, you have to look at total impedance(ohms) put opon the amp. You can't wire the subs @ 2ohm, and then hook it up to the amp, because the amp will "see" a 1 ohm load,your amp can't go that low. So now you have to wire the 2 subs to make each one a 8 ohm sub. Now wire both of the 8 ohm subs in parallel(match + and - together), now you have a single 4 ohm load. So now the amp will see 4 ohms and put out 600 watts. So each sub will see 300 watts, which is sufficient, but not really enough to really push em. Now you see that your amp puts out 1200 watts @ 2 ohm, which is good, but you can't safely wire BOTH of your subs to that amp to get 2ohms. Now if you had 2 subs that were single coil 4 ohm subs and wired them in parellel, you get a 2 ohm load, which is what the amp will see. So now your subs are getting 600 watts each. So if there is any way to get single coil subs, then do, but if not, then 300 watts each sub is all you can safely get out of that amp/sub combo. I hope this makes sense! If not, i could try to explain better..Also, you generally want to match RMS power ratings on both the amp and sub, but the more power the better. Its easier to blow a sub with too LITTLE power than to much. ITs called distortion and that kills subs! And you just can't "turn up" amps. It won't put out more power by turning up the sensitivity screw. That is to match the headunits output level with the amps input level. Basically, you adjust that so your headunit isn't at full volume while your subs are really quiet. It just makes your subs louder at a higher or lower headunit volume.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST) [View all] , xEclipsE RaceRx, Jan-17-02 01:28 PM
  RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), mkerley, Jan-17-02 02:22 PM, #1
RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), xEclipsE RaceRx, Jan-17-02 03:21 PM, #2
      RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), mkerley, Jan-18-02 01:01 AM, #3
RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), TeamXtremeRS, Jan-18-02 04:49 PM #4
RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), Kirby, Jan-24-02 08:31 AM, #5
      RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST), TeamXtremeRS, Jan-24-02 01:55 PM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1219 Previous topic | Next topic