Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectTell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=1219
1219, Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If I get 2 JBL GT1241D with these specs...

Power Handling RMS: 300 Watts
Power Handling Peak: 1200 Watts
Frequency Response (± 3dB): 18Hz - 500Hz
Sensitivity: 93dB
Impedance: 2 or 8 Ohms

will it work with this JBL BP1200.1 amp

Output 4 Ohms: 600W x 1
Output 2 Ohms: 1200W x 1
Signal-to-Noise (dBA): >100
Frequency Response (±3dB): 20Hz - 500Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1%
Input Sensitivity: 250mV - 4V

If it does work is that amp to much power for the 2 subs? Cuz the recommended wattage is 300 watts and here comes a 1200 watt amp pushin em, so....

1220, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by mkerley, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

It WILL work. I don't know if the JBL speakers are DVC or not though. If they are you can run 1200 through them at a 2 ohm load. If they're SVC, you will be running at the 4 ohm load. You can get either the 2 or the 8 ohm impedance as long as they are all the same. You'll have to wire it differently depending on which ones you get though and how much power you want running through them.

As far as handling the power...if you'll notice, the speakers are rated at 1200 peak, 300RMS and the amp is rated at 1200 peak. You can probably turn the amp all the way up, but you'll just have to find the continuous (RMS) rating of the amp to be sure. It's no necessarily bad to have an amp that's too powerful though. That way, you don't have to tax it out all the time it's running. I doubt you'll want it running at 1200W very often anyways. I wouldn't.

Star Stage III
Star Stage III
1221, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When I asked what do I need to push 2 450 watt amps, sum guy said I need a 900 watt amp. Im guessin he added the too subs together, so since these two JBL are 1200 watt peak adding them together 2400 watts, so I dont need to get a amp dat big? Im guessin no, cuz das a very big amp. I dont even know how this system would sound, I just saw the subs for sale 2 of them for $189.99 and the amp for 339.99 so am I gettin a good deal?
1222, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by mkerley, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't follow JBL that much, so I don't know if the stuff is any good or not. If the stuff is good, that's a great price.
And no, you don't need a 900 watt amp to run those speakers. You could push them with any amp really. It's just the more powerful your amp is, the louder your speakers can be if you turn the amp up. I had a 1K W sub running off a 300W amp and I never turned it past 1/2 way. If your box is built and sized properly, you'll get plenty of bass from this (again assuming it's decent quality stuff).

Matt

1223, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well looks like from your specs on the equip, you have DVC subs and a monoblock amp capable of going down to 2 ohms. Well you already are loosing out on grabbing max power from the amps since you have DVC subs, because you can only wire to 2 or 8 ohms. Now since you have 2 subs, you have to look at total impedance(ohms) put opon the amp. You can't wire the subs @ 2ohm, and then hook it up to the amp, because the amp will "see" a 1 ohm load,your amp can't go that low. So now you have to wire the 2 subs to make each one a 8 ohm sub. Now wire both of the 8 ohm subs in parallel(match + and - together), now you have a single 4 ohm load. So now the amp will see 4 ohms and put out 600 watts. So each sub will see 300 watts, which is sufficient, but not really enough to really push em. Now you see that your amp puts out 1200 watts @ 2 ohm, which is good, but you can't safely wire BOTH of your subs to that amp to get 2ohms. Now if you had 2 subs that were single coil 4 ohm subs and wired them in parellel, you get a 2 ohm load, which is what the amp will see. So now your subs are getting 600 watts each. So if there is any way to get single coil subs, then do, but if not, then 300 watts each sub is all you can safely get out of that amp/sub combo. I hope this makes sense! If not, i could try to explain better..Also, you generally want to match RMS power ratings on both the amp and sub, but the more power the better. Its easier to blow a sub with too LITTLE power than to much. ITs called distortion and that kills subs! And you just can't "turn up" amps. It won't put out more power by turning up the sensitivity screw. That is to match the headunits output level with the amps input level. Basically, you adjust that so your headunit isn't at full volume while your subs are really quiet. It just makes your subs louder at a higher or lower headunit volume.
1224, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
acctually even with dvc subs you can run a 2 ohm load you just have to run it in series and make sure your wires are hooked up to the correct pos and neg for bridged mode on the amp
1225, RE: Tell me if this setup will work (MOST IMPORTANT OF MY POST)
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I'm not too sure if that jbl is a monoblock amp or a two channel amp, but you can't bridge a monoblock amp. Its already one channel and only 1 channel. Most mono amps provide two sets of speaker outputs, but mono amps will "see" exactly the load put upon it(ie, 1 4ohm sub= amp at 4 ohms, 2 4 ohmn subs in parallel=2 ohms at amp). Now if you have a 2 channel amp, and you bridge the 2 channels into 1 channel, then the amp will "see" half of the load put upon it(2 4 ohm subs in parrallel= a 1 ohm load on the amp)ie. 2 4 ohm subs in parallel= 2 ohm load, now put that 2 ohm load on a bridged amp, amp sees half of 2 ohm which = a 1 ohm load. Dvc subs are great for many different wiring set ups, but better suited to multi-channel amps insted of mono class D amps(assuming the DVC's are 4 ohm each coil and class D amp is only 2 ohm stable)
I generated this page in 0.0078458786010742 seconds, executing 7 queries.