Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31413
View in linear mode

Subject: "curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news." Previous topic | Next topic
TalsitionAug-25-08 08:02 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2004
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31413, "curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."

Any ideas how to get this sucker out of the crossmember? Or should I just replace the entire crossmember? The red in the photo shows what is all involved here. Story of how it happened below photo.

Thanks

The story-
So I go to change my passenger curved control arm on my 95 esi and had a fun time getting off the ball joint. Finally got it off at this point I was pretty stoked because the other side took 3 hours, with a ball joint remover. So I just got 2 bolts to go. Start removing the bolt and I noticed that it wasn’t going any ware. So I figured what the heck its an old car I will give her some force. Then snap the head of the bolt comes right off...funny thing is I have a small oil leak that keeps the bottom of my car lubed up all nice. The control arm bolts looked new compared to most of the other bolts on my car. So after a few 4 letter words here I am trying to figure out how to remove the part that’s stuck in the crossmember (yay).

car info:
Year: 95
Make: Talon
Model: Esi
Miles: 245k

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., foggy45, Aug-25-08 11:58 AM, #1
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., 740 turbo brick, Aug-25-08 03:25 PM, #2
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., RoninEclipse2G, Aug-26-08 07:11 AM, #3
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., Talsition, Aug-26-08 11:16 AM, #4
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., foggy45, Aug-26-08 03:11 PM, #5
      RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., 740 turbo brick, Aug-26-08 03:47 PM, #6
           RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., foggy45, Aug-26-08 04:12 PM, #7
RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news., DSM-22, Sep-15-08 01:04 PM, #8

foggy45Aug-25-08 11:58 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31414, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 0

ouch bro!
i can relate as i snaped off 3 of 4 of those!

to get those out you can either do one of 2 things to get it to work.

1. if there is enough of the bolt sticking out you can weld on a nut to the remnants and back it out with that. (the heat cycling of the weld can sometimes help it loosen as well in this)

2. drill it out

depending on your space and which direction your drilling from it might be easier to drop the subframe out.
i droped mine out and fit it into a drill press so i could keep it centered and not FUBAR my threads.

when your done make sure you run a tap through it to clean out the threads

good luck, but this is way cheaper then getting a new subframe

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickAug-25-08 03:25 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#31415, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 1

I also had that happen, one of my 4 bolts broke off. I just left it like that and put the other bolt back in... :EEK:

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

RoninEclipse2GAug-26-08 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31416, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I also had that happen, one of my 4 bolts broke off. I just left it like that and put the other bolt back in... :EEK:

fix that before you hurt yourself!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TalsitionAug-26-08 11:16 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2004
39 posts,
#31417, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the ideas; I though I might just have to drop the subframe and drill it out, but there is quite a bit left sticking out when it broke. One more thing anyone have an idea about how to get the other bolt off without breaking it? It seams to be frozen too. I was thinking about trying to heat it up and then cooling it to try and get some of the rust free.

foggy45Aug-26-08 03:11 PM
1032 posts,
#31419, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Talsition
One more thing anyone have an idea about how to get the other bolt off without breaking it? It seams to be frozen too. I was thinking about trying to heat it up and then cooling it to try and get some of the rust free.

two schools of thought here,
1. say screw it and just wrench it, and if it breaks it breaks since you have to drop the sub frame already.

2. soak with PB blaster and such and try your best to ease it out so you dont have another bolt to drill out.
Hint: spray the pb blaster from the top side of the sub frame and hope it soaks down the threads into the hole

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

740 turbo brickAug-26-08 03:47 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#31420, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 5

Try moving it back and forth, even if you can barely move it at first. That helps let the PB blaster soak in.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

foggy45Aug-26-08 04:12 PM
1032 posts,
#31421, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 6

and dont be stingy with the stuff either drown that shit and let it soak over night then drown it again.
test it
if needed soak it again

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

DSM-22Sep-15-08 01:04 PM
Member since Apr 18th 2008
23 posts,
#31438, "RE: curved control arm + broken bolt = bad news."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by foggy45
ouch bro! i can relate as i snaped off 3 of 4 of those! to get those out you can either do one of 2 things to get it to work. 1. if there is enough of the bolt sticking out you can weld on a nut to the remnants and back it out with that. (the heat cycling of the weld can sometimes help it loosen as well in this) 2. drill it out depending on your space and which direction your drilling from it might be easier to drop the subframe out. i droped mine out and fit it into a drill press so i could keep it centered and not FUBAR my threads. when your done make sure you run a tap through it to clean out the threads good luck, but this is way cheaper then getting a new subframe

I'm in the same boat right now, what size drill bit and tap did you use? I'm assuming you used an exact replacement bolt too.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31413 Previous topic | Next topic