Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #97871
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Car runs lean under boost :(" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic
totaleclipse_05Oct-21-06 08:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97871, "Car runs lean under boost :("
Oct-21-06 08:31 PM by totaleclipse_05

Hey guys,

I've done pretty much everything I can think of, but my car still runs lean at anything above 4-5 psi. Once it leans out, it seems very slow on boost so I know something is wrong. I've searched and searched on this subject, but can't seem to pinpoint what it is. Here is what I have done:

-New Fuel Filter
-Took off FMU and put on a friend's, but still leans out
-Thought it could have been FCD's, but have tried 2 different kinds and still leans out
-New O2 sensor

I just can't seem to figure out what it can be. I guess it could possibly be the fuel pump, but I don't know if that is a logical choice or not.

Please help me, I don't want to keep spending money on stuff that isn't the culprit.

EDIT:
Guess I should let you know what I have. I have a Walbro 255 and Vortech FMU on stock injectors only running 6 psi tops, but I have lowered the wastegate down to 3 and it stays rich on that boost level. Anything above 4-5 though and it leans out and is very sluggish feeling.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
totaleclipse_05Oct-22-06 07:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97874, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 0

OK, I just got done swapping fuel pumps with my friend's Walbro and it still does the same thing. So bad fuel pump is out. I have run out of ideas so if anyone has one, post up.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kelvinb1Oct-22-06 09:01 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#97875, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 1

what are you using to log?

fmu, im not familiar with, is this like a rrfpr? if so what rate?

eclipse982nrRSTOct-22-06 01:57 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#97878, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 2

I knew the FCD wasnt the problem.

His FMU im guessing is probably a 12:1 and he is using a worthless nb02 a/f gauge.

You cannot trust those gauges, seriously. but if your sluggish then you have something f'd up, are you sure the FMU is hooked up right and you have the correct calibration kit in it?

My opinion first off would be to ditch the FMU and get a SFMU.

I even have an SFMU for sale for cheap in the F/S section.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

totaleclipse_05Oct-22-06 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#97881, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-23-06 05:10 AM by totaleclipse_05

I don't have any money to spend on more parts right now, I'm in debt to pay off what I have already. At WOT, those gauges *should* read in the rich part of it and it doesn't so that right there is a red flag for me. I read when I was searching that the ECU may pull timing when the A/F ratio gets too lean and that's what I may be feeling when I try to boost.

Yes, my FMU is hooked up right. It's by the fuel tank with the side port going to the FPR and the bottom port going to the tank. I've checked it all over and searched to see if it was right and it was.

For what I have and what I am doing, my parts should be ok. Yes, an SFMU would be safer to have, but I'm not looking for double digit boost levels right now. I'm just looking for a quicker daily driver. 6 psi or so should be ok for an FMU to handle.

Mike D

DJ420aOct-22-06 11:55 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#97883, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 4

How old is your fuel filter?

totaleclipse_05Oct-23-06 01:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#97884, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 5

Just replaced it a couple nights ago and didn't help the problem. I searched and came up with that as a possible culprit so I replaced it and nothing

Mike D

BlizareOct-23-06 05:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#97885, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 6

Is the fuel pressure even rising? FP Gauge?????

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

totaleclipse_05Oct-23-06 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#97887, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 7

I don't have one of those to tell if it is or not. Can you rent those at an auto store or do you have to buy it?

Mike D

eclipse982nrRSTOct-23-06 08:52 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#97888, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
I don't have one of those to tell if it is or not. Can you rent those at an auto store or do you have to buy it?

You SHOULD have a fuel pressure gauge.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

DSMcrazy3Oct-23-06 09:13 AM
Member since Feb 16th 2005
86 posts,
#97889, "RE: Car runs lean under boost :("
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
You SHOULD have a fuel pressure gauge.

You SHOULD have tested his FCD before you sent it out...Which obviously you didn't.

-----------------------------
95 Eclipse RS-T
Custom T3 60 Trim turbo kit.

-Josh

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #97871 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic