Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #4309
View in threaded mode

Subject: " drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?" Previous topic | Next topic
rsXboy99Apr-26-01 07:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
113 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4309, " drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"

Whats the best way to drill the exhaust manifold for the egt? Im worried about getting chips in the turbo, rre said to just leave the engine running and all that will blow out as you drill, but is that really safe? HOw did you guys do it?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorCorbinApr-26-01 12:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4310, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would really tap the hole for the EGT with the manifold off of the car. I stuffed up the runners with rags and drilled the hole. Doing it with the manifold on the car may be perfectly safe, but with a new and very expensive turbo, I wouldn't take any chances. I was very paranoid with my new turbo because I spent all of my free cash on it (I was eating mac+cheese for a while after that).

Corbin
'95 ESI-T
HRC + FMIC
http://members.nbci.com/cbehnken/

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

sleepereclipseApr-26-01 01:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
215 posts,
#4311, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 1

Oh Noooooooo! For Turbo's sake, don't do that! Drill the hole, file what you can then use a magnet. Do NOT have the engine running while you do this. I still need to do mine. What king of egt do you have?

rsXboy99Apr-26-01 01:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
113 posts,
#4312, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 2

its a greddy egt guage, would it be better to take the manifold off..or just take the turbo off?

9D9 MITSU RSApr-26-01 02:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#4313, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 3

I heard u can drill into the downpipe. It would be 200-300* cooler than actual, but it is easier and safer. Just a suggestion.

rsXboy99Apr-27-01 08:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
113 posts,
#4314, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 4

I did drill into the downpipe, but it was too thin of a metal to tap, so i just welded it closed and grinded it down to match the rest of the downpipe..acctualy cant even tell i did anything

96mitseclipsersMar-23-09 12:26 PM
Member since Jan 12th 2009
47 posts,
#106106, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 5

I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..

eclipse982nrRSTMar-23-09 01:23 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#106107, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers
I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..

Hey Jackass, lets try not to bring back a 8 year old post!!!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

ezMar-23-09 05:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#106108, "RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..
Hey Jackass, lets try not to bring back a 8 year old post!!!

anyone notice that 9d9 was retroactively made a mod? I blame Brian and his shenanigans

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #4309 Previous topic | Next topic