Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subject drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=4309
4309, drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by rsXboy99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Whats the best way to drill the exhaust manifold for the egt? Im worried about getting chips in the turbo, rre said to just leave the engine running and all that will blow out as you drill, but is that really safe? HOw did you guys do it?
4310, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would really tap the hole for the EGT with the manifold off of the car. I stuffed up the runners with rags and drilled the hole. Doing it with the manifold on the car may be perfectly safe, but with a new and very expensive turbo, I wouldn't take any chances. I was very paranoid with my new turbo because I spent all of my free cash on it (I was eating mac+cheese for a while after that).

Corbin
'95 ESI-T
HRC + FMIC
http://members.nbci.com/cbehnken/

4311, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by sleepereclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oh Noooooooo! For Turbo's sake, don't do that! Drill the hole, file what you can then use a magnet. Do NOT have the engine running while you do this. I still need to do mine. What king of egt do you have?
4312, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
its a greddy egt guage, would it be better to take the manifold off..or just take the turbo off?
4313, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I heard u can drill into the downpipe. It would be 200-300* cooler than actual, but it is easier and safer. Just a suggestion.
4314, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
I did drill into the downpipe, but it was too thin of a metal to tap, so i just welded it closed and grinded it down to match the rest of the downpipe..acctualy cant even tell i did anything
106106, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by 96mitseclipsers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..
106107, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers
I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..

Hey Jackass, lets try not to bring back a 8 year old post!!!
106108, RE: drilling the exhaust manifold for the egt..?
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers I would take the turbo and manifold off and put the turbo from the manifold then drill..safer..
Hey Jackass, lets try not to bring back a 8 year old post!!!

anyone notice that 9d9 was retroactively made a mod? I blame Brian and his shenanigans
I generated this page in 0.0074670314788818 seconds, executing 7 queries.