Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38769
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Phantom Grip" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-08-03 12:34 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38769, "Phantom Grip"

sup men, getting ready to have the tranny rebuilt and i'm pretty set on a lsd ....i can't see buying a quaife when it costs more than the rebuild itself..its just stupid, theres no way that have that much into the product to sell for that...anyhow i've been looking at the phantom grip and the premise seems fairly simple...now i've heard that they can wear out and break, thats about the last thing i need to worry about...for only 250 its pretty much disposable, has anyone had any luck with them...i'm setup for stage IV right now so i expect to put down some big numbers on the dyno this summer...what i'm thinking of doing for some added security is to have john sheperd rebuild the tranny and have the gears and syncros cryo'd for some beef...the guys on the neon board seem to think the tranny can take upwards of 500+...what do you guys think...i really didn't build a auto cross car or a drag car, more of highway and street action i get into..the tranny only took me an hour and a half to drop but i dont want to keep doing it if the phantom grip cant hang w/ the power..any of you big boys using an lsd or you think i should stay away from it?thanks.

400whp or bust.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
420aVengerFeb-08-03 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38785, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Just incase you didn't know about these...save you some money.

http://www.newskoolracing.com/dc.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

StraussFeb-08-03 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
953 posts,
#38786, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't have any personal experience with the unit, but it seems good to me.....for the price anyway. I'm going to get one this spring, but I belive JustOne on this board has one and was last running 18psi+ on his with no problems as of yet. It comes down to price factor....if you can afford the quaife, get it...no doubt. It WILL hold whatever you put to it. I figure you can't go wrong with the price of the phantom....but the quaife is for sure a better product.....I'm gonna give it a shot! Anything will be better than spinning one tire down the road up to 70mph!

Jasvb TS2K2Feb-08-03 06:25 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#38793, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah the Quaife is the beast but if you are like me that is not a series racer, meaning only weekend warrior , than the PG will do. I am getting mine along with the Fidanza flywheel in March. I have only heard good things about both.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2

JustOneFeb-08-03 11:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38799, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 3

VERY solid upgrade, I love it!

I can leave two lines when I shift down to third from 4th at 20psi and WOT on the highway. I had a guy in a 32 roadster follow me for 20 miles just to tell me that he thought "seeing a fwd car do that was the coolest thing ever". I told him I would trade if he wanted but he declined. He had no trouble keeping up w/ me.

Anyway...I think it's a great buy for the price and if you drag race only don't waste the cash on the Quaife.

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 06:46 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#38806, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 4

hey justone did you ever get the Quaife installed??

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 07:00 AM
2745 posts,
#38807, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 5

i dont know if i trust the NSR one yet...if people can give me reason to trust it then ill buy it.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

JustOneFeb-09-03 08:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38810, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes it’s in but I still need like 250 miles on the clutch break-in before I can really test the bitch out. So far it feels better a little better in the turns but I won’t really know until the break-in is done.

I have seen the pics of the knock off version and I couldn’t tell you if it was better or not. They should act the same in characteristics and performance (w/ equal springs). I think the PG would last longer though because it is 100% steel and the other is aluminum and steel. I personally wouldn't put that a piece of aluminum in-between my spider gears but that is just me. Let’s say the piece wore out, once you wore through the steel on top it wouldn’t be a pretty thing when it got down to the aluminum. I kind of think the engineer behind the PG would have made it out of aluminum if he could have in the first place. It's way cheaper than the steel they use.

Just my .02
Brian

Super20GFeb-09-03 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38812, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 7

It's all a budget thing, and what application your really using it for.

Of course, you'll never beat the brute strength of the Quaife unit, thats why its backed with a lifetime warrenty, they basically dare you to break the unit.

But if money is a big option(cause there is a BIG difference) and you dont get all that nasty on it, the PG isnt a bad buy. You just have to remember its a modified stock unit, so its gonna handle what the stock unit handles basically, and w/ the added stress of more traction, you cant be cranking it too high(on a TUNED engine) and expect it to do its duty.. Also you gotta remember factors like wheelhop will grenade the tranny real quick, expecially if your getting nasty w/ the boost controller.

Basically, the reason I went w/ the Quaife lsd is because if I have a fully built engine, I'm gonna treat it very very bad and if I would have bought a PG for ~250, and blew my tranny, then I'd be out the PG, the tranny, and then still had to buy a new tranny and the quaife to do it right again, plus the PITA labor.

95 silver gsFeb-09-03 10:17 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2002
853 posts,
#38816, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 8

I was wondering if anyone has a phantom grip they could send me or no of anyone with one that is out of there car that they could send me one or have blue prints or demntions and i would be able to make some of them for some guys/gals on the boards. Hit me up at nitro312@hotmail.com

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 10:22 AM
2745 posts,
#38817, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 9

yea,but as long as nobodys reported any problems with it yet, why not go for it.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38769 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic