Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106144
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-11-09 11:15 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106144, "Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"

Thats right, you read it correctly. If you jump Start a car with a Greddy FATT connected, you run the chance of damaging the TT. I did it a few times to mine in the past, any issue was resolved by disconnecting the TT and letting it reset. Not this last time.

After a loud long warning squeel from the TT it failed to operate and displayed 3 backwards C's. After 3 days of searching the Net i found many othr cases in various other automotive platforms that resulted in the TT being damaged during jump starting situations. All Greddy FATT models too.

Just a warning.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Warmage12Apr-11-09 11:21 AM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106145, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 0

So do you just unplug it during the jump start then plug it back in???

Does jump starting run the risk of hurting any other components like MS units?

95 RS sold...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-11-09 11:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#106146, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Warmage12
Does jump starting run the risk of hurting any other components like MS units?

You do have your 5 amp fuse in line on the power wire, correct? This should save you from any surges or back feeds. I just recently (accidentally) ground out a wire on my resistor box (did it twice, actually, lol. First time I tried testing the wrong wire, doh! And then after replacing the fuse, I dropped a screw driver on the open wire and it fell just right, heh, heh).

Damn sucks on the TT though Terry. I honestly never gave it a thought. Though fortunately, I haven't jumped the kid's car (the only one I have with a TT right now), so I'm safe.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-11-09 12:29 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#106147, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 2

Like Mark said......Fuse protection.

TT arent fuse protected, they are hardwired. No fuses internal either.....i checked.

Warmage12Apr-11-09 05:09 PM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#106148, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-11-09 05:10 PM by Warmage12

Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.

95 RS sold...

420agreenvilleSCApr-11-09 07:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#106149, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-11-09 07:56 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by Warmage12
Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratortekleinApr-11-09 08:09 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#106150, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-11-09 08:10 PM by teklein

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by Warmage12 Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.

/me sighs.

BTW Terry, I thought you are the one who told me that a long time ago. Maybe it was someone else if you just found out

Moderatorcs82685Apr-12-09 06:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#106154, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 6

Good to know, I have to jump my car every time I move it and never even thought it may damage my TT. I have a blitz, not sure if that makes a difference but I'm really not using the TT now b/c I just move the car from the garage to the yard and back LOL. Might as well unplug it (or do what Mark said)

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

SilvrEclipsApr-12-09 08:29 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#106155, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 7

I never had a problem with my TT but I did fry my oil pressure gauge by jumping the car. Autometer said there must have been a power surge and it took it out. I sent them the gauge and they sent me a brand new one.

I dont have a fuse on my MS but I have it powered from the 12v wire at the ECU. I assume this wire is fused, is it ok to run power from here? Obviously it works sinces its been like this for a year but I dont want it to have a chance at getting fried.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

ThePerfectShiftApr-13-09 05:37 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
#106165, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 8

Just for clarification: Are you guys jumping the eclipse's or are the eclipse's jumping other cars? Not that it probably makes a difference either way. Just thought I'd ask.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

SilvrEclipsApr-13-09 05:49 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#106167, "RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected"
In response to Reply # 9

When my gauge went out my car was getting jumped. A few weeks ago I jumped my buddys car and nothing broke.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106144 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic