Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectWarning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=106144
106144, Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thats right, you read it correctly. If you jump Start a car with a Greddy FATT connected, you run the chance of damaging the TT. I did it a few times to mine in the past, any issue was resolved by disconnecting the TT and letting it reset. Not this last time.

After a loud long warning squeel from the TT it failed to operate and displayed 3 backwards C's. After 3 days of searching the Net i found many othr cases in various other automotive platforms that resulted in the TT being damaged during jump starting situations. All Greddy FATT models too.

Just a warning.
106145, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by Warmage12, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So do you just unplug it during the jump start then plug it back in???

Does jump starting run the risk of hurting any other components like MS units?
106146, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Warmage12

You do have your 5 amp fuse in line on the power wire, correct? This should save you from any surges or back feeds. I just recently (accidentally) ground out a wire on my resistor box (did it twice, actually, lol. First time I tried testing the wrong wire, doh! And then after replacing the fuse, I dropped a screw driver on the open wire and it fell just right, heh, heh).

Damn sucks on the TT though Terry. I honestly never gave it a thought. Though fortunately, I haven't jumped the kid's car (the only one I have with a TT right now), so I'm safe.

106147, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Like Mark said......Fuse protection.

TT arent fuse protected, they are hardwired. No fuses internal either.....i checked.
106148, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by Warmage12, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.
106149, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.

:wallbash
106150, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by Warmage12 Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.

/me sighs.

BTW Terry, I thought you are the one who told me that a long time ago. Maybe it was someone else if you just found out :shrug
106154, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Good to know, I have to jump my car every time I move it and never even thought it may damage my TT. I have a blitz, not sure if that makes a difference but I'm really not using the TT now b/c I just move the car from the garage to the yard and back LOL. Might as well unplug it (or do what Mark said)
106155, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I never had a problem with my TT but I did fry my oil pressure gauge by jumping the car. Autometer said there must have been a power surge and it took it out. I sent them the gauge and they sent me a brand new one.

I dont have a fuse on my MS but I have it powered from the 12v wire at the ECU. I assume this wire is fused, is it ok to run power from here? Obviously it works sinces its been like this for a year but I dont want it to have a chance at getting fried.
106165, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by ThePerfectShift, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just for clarification: Are you guys jumping the eclipse's or are the eclipse's jumping other cars? Not that it probably makes a difference either way. Just thought I'd ask.
106167, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When my gauge went out my car was getting jumped. A few weeks ago I jumped my buddys car and nothing broke.
106225, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by Warmage12 Ya, i've got the fuses. I've just been scratchin my head over why I keep poping ECU's. Supposedly our whole engine is supposed to be setup with fuses guarding stuff yet here i am on my 3rd ECU. There isn't a single cracked wire or piece of metal that's arcing in the whole damn harness or car. I read this and thought maybe i could create a connection or something, but this had to do with just some fuses.
/me sighs. BTW Terry, I thought you are the one who told me that a long time ago. Maybe it was someone else if you just found out :shrug

Maybe i did and forgot my own advice.......
106169, RE: Warning: Dont Jump Start With Turbo Timer Connected
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

How do you plan on jump starting your car without the MS?
I generated this page in 0.010804176330566 seconds, executing 7 queries.