Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100225
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Oil Catch can" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
bigrob3232May-21-07 02:14 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2006
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100225, "Oil Catch can"

I recently finished my turbo project, and I'm having issues with the valve breather misting oil out....so I know I need an oil catch can to solve this problem and I've seen alot of people have been using mountaindew and water bottles and a temp fix...but I wanted to see some pics of where you have located yours and what brand/design would you recommend?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
RallyEclipse98May-21-07 02:37 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100226, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend a GReddy catch can. Not too many options. I have seen many "do it yourself" catch cans, they say they work as well as expensive ones. Not sure of the best place to put one on a turbo'd engine.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boosted60trimrstMay-21-07 02:54 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#100227, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 1

i have mine mounted on the firewall on the side of the map sensor . im using a cambells soup can lol . it works great and i have the breather line and pcv line attached to it .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

jack_of_tradesMay-21-07 02:57 PM
Member since Oct 30th 2005
217 posts,
#100228, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 1

here's a popular solution and its small too.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_746737_-1_10475

Jamie-
-AUTOMATIC turbo'd 95 Talon ESI@8psi (stock internals)14.0sec=1/4 mile

-2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII

eclipserst3May-21-07 03:02 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2006
204 posts,
#100229, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 3

i have an ebay dark annodized blue one mounted where the stock air filter box was. both valve cover lines going to it and a big ass hole drilled in the top of the can. works like a champine. looks good too.

got that megasquirt!

RallyEclipse98May-21-07 03:13 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
#100231, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by jack_of_trades
here's a popular solution and its small too. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_746737_-1_10475

Neat I never knew about that. Expensive, but not for what your getting I guess.

totaleclipse_05May-21-07 04:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100233, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 5

Aquafina Bottle: $1.26
Breather Filter: $7.99
2.5 ft. of Hose: $2.50
Duct tape: $3.50
Look on peoples faces when they see it: Priceless

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

bigrob3232May-21-07 05:15 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2006
203 posts,
#100235, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 6
May-21-07 05:33 PM by bigrob3232

totaleclipse_05...I was referring to your pic when I said waterbottle...and a soup can....wow that is great. more pics please ....another questions...when you run the line from the Pcv on the valve cover to the oil catch...what do you with the open vacccum on the intake manifold?

jack_of_tradesMay-21-07 06:28 PM
Member since Oct 30th 2005
217 posts,
#100237, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 7
May-21-07 06:29 PM by jack_of_trades

Most people plug it with a rubber nipple. The PCV system is actually a better system but people with high boost pressures (10psi and up) tend to bypass the pcv system all together. Whenever possible, get a PCV valve that seals up VERY well and just add the catch can to the spout you have the breather on.

Jamie-
-AUTOMATIC turbo'd 95 Talon ESI@8psi (stock internals)14.0sec=1/4 mile

-2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII

foggy45May-21-07 06:30 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#100238, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 7

alone these lines . . .
has anybody done the crankcase evacuation system that you put a tube in the exhaust streem and it provides the vacuum?

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-22-07 09:06 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#100242, "RE: Oil Catch can"
In response to Reply # 9

I have one I fabricated that site behind the headlight. I will see if I can get pictures.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100225 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic