Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5302
View in threaded mode

Subject: "So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamStan2gntMay-19-01 04:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5302, "So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"

Just curious. I personally dont believe our cars are detonating all the time or even most of the time at moderate boost levels (or at all at 10lbs and under) . Cast pistons wouldn't last a month under daily detonation. I do believe its possible to have high rpm detonation without any means of detection without telemetry but dont think thats why people are blowing either. I also know are engines are one of the most detonation resistant engines out there by design and practice(just take a look at the semi wedge head and nearly flat top pistons or spend more time at neons.org with 12:1 pump gas NA 420A's). The question is at what point (hp level, boost, on your kit, whatever) does detonation really become a concern that needs adressing (in the form of timing retard) assuming efficient enough intercooling and adequate fuel. Right now I dont think anyones knows for sure.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jason 95 GS TurboMay-19-01 05:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
183 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5303, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 0

my thoughts exactly. I have ran 11 PSI, with just some octane booster dumped in, and no detonation. In fact, i feel that my car runs too rich half of the time. I have never noticed the slightest bit of detonation. I keep boost sane on the street, dump race gas in for the track, and i don't see any problems. I think our motors are built a hell of a lot better than even some older turbo cars were, and they have been known to run 15 PSI. For example, the chrysler 2.2 turbo motors. I would venture to say that alot of these motor failures were related to human error, or boost spikes caused by us doing something. Either that, or faulty parts on the car, like Raizin's cam shaft snapping. I just don't see how everyone is getting detonation.

jason
95 GS Turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RAIZINMay-19-01 06:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5304, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 1

Stan... that's what I meant. You misunderstood me. I didn't mean you're detonation all the time.. but under hard acceleration. If you're knocking at idle than you definately have a problem.

klipzracerMay-19-01 11:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#5305, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 2

damn, raizin, you snapped a camshaft!??!?!?

Chris Dishmon
-----------Mods-----------
Interior:
-color painted interior
-fire extinguisher
-Topspeed short shifter
-aluminum shift knob and pedals
-Grant Evolution steering wheel
Exterior:
-Neo Blitz Front Bumper
-17" ICW 10 spoke wheels w/ 215/45 yokahama's
-APR GT1 adjustable aluminum wing
-Toyota Supra turn signal/foglights
-Aerogear fiberglass hood w/ Sparco hoodpins
Engine:
-Weapon R intake w/ ram air hook up
-NGK plugs
-Accel 8mm ignition wires
-Catco hi-flow cat convertor
-Apexi Dunk Muffler
Suspension:
-front and rear strut tower bars
-Tenzo R lowering springs
-front and rear camber adjustment
Stereo:
-Kenwood In-dash CD player
-Kenwood graphic EQ
-Orion Cobalt amp
-6 1/2" Infinity Kappa speakers
-6X9 Alpines speakers
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

TeamStan2gntMay-20-01 01:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#5306, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah raizin I know what you meant (and a little exaggerating to make a point. I do it all the time). But since you said it I just used it to make my thread more exciting.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

RS_GuyMay-20-01 10:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#5307, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you noticed how its always just "the bunch of us" discussing this topic? I wonder why everyone else is avoiding it.

My car ran richish (safe) too all the time when I blew up the engine.

When I blew up the engine was after quite some hard driving. I honestly don't think it was the pistons, just the rings that suffered. I still have my original engine in my car. I will remove it (and instpect it) when I switch it with the new motor.

Guy
RS_Guy

http://www.GTuned.com

-----
www.GTuned.com

Armond30May-20-01 11:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#5308, "Detonation can cause engine failure"
In response to Reply # 5

But it is not the only cause. i think the main reason 420A's break under boost is the internal parts inability to produce the power that is being tapped (there is only so much that a factory piston ring or connecting rod can take basically).

Bring it on............

DAVE_FL (Guest)May-20-01 12:01 PM

#5309, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 5

I avoid it because I don't know enough to make an educated answer. I am still learning about turbos. I have learned a lot over the last couple years from this board. And in about a month (if the New edge kit ever comes out) I will learn a LOT more when my car is boosted. Speaking of turbos....It is hard to stop myself from buying the star kit. I will have enough for a star stage one next week but I want to hold off for that new edge kit. I know if I buy the star kit and the new one comes out I will be very pissed off. I guess good things come to those who wait? Please hurry Shaun and Wyatt!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe
BOOSTING SOON!!!!!

Phat99EclipseMay-20-01 12:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
#5310, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 7

I haven't been avoiding, just not ed-ja-ma-cated enough to put my two cents in... besides this is only the 2nd day my PC has been back up for the last 2 weeks thanks to having to move...

I have been boosting for over 13K miles with zero problems. I need to do a compression test to see the health of my engine, but I haven't had any real problems (besides the accident)... knock on wood...

DoN
'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
AEM Big Brake Kit
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

RS_GuyMay-20-01 01:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#5311, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 8

LAST EDITED ON 20-May-01 AT 06:50 PM (PST)

Wow, 13K miles... Cool!
What Boost pressure you running? Stock Internals I assume? Fuel System?

As for people trying na git edjamacated, well, we all are!

For me though, most of my "education" seems to be coming from my trial and error (boom) incident.... As *enlightening* as it may have been, I really prefer to lear this way, by asking, and throwing ideas around!

Guy
RS_Guy

http://www.GTuned.com

-----
www.GTuned.com

TeamWyattMay-20-01 03:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#5312, "RE: So what does Hahn have to say about detaonation and the 420A"
In response to Reply # 9

Another reason I think we have a disadvantage is oil cooling.
The 4g63 motors have oil squirters that cool the lower part of the piston. I would also like to look into having a separate oil system for the turbo. I don't really know how much of a difference that would make, cooling wise or metal breakdown but its something I'm interested in.
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5302 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic