Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #27707
View in threaded mode

Subject: "FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
Dave_FLJul-29-02 10:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27707, "FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"

I was getting a low map sensor voltage CEL and it was only reading 3.8 on the sensor check thing on the s-afc. It is suposed to be around 4.5 with the key on but car not running. So I bought a new map sensor and put it on thinking it would fix it. It didnt work. Still had low voltage. So i said shit, I might as well try and see what happens if I take off this FCD I have on there even though I have a 97. I took it off and now my car is a lot better!!! My car was sluggish before. It used to bog down and hesitate a lot. Now it runs great under boost with no FCD!! I am holing 9 psi perfect and my car isnt running lean anymore!!!! I have heard of a few people running boost on a 1997 with no FCD or VC1 and it worked for them. It also works for me!!! I was mad the other day when i didnt beat a GSR as much as I should have. Now I know why. It was that damn FCD that was slowing my car down. This was why I havent installed my injectors yet. Now my car is running good and the injectors are ready to go in. I cant wait for 15 psi!!! I am going to order a missing link though just to be safe.

About 30 minutes later.....Just went on a highway test drive. My EGT's are finally back to normal!! That damn FCD was making my egt;s skyrocket by running it lean. I was making somw 3rd and 4th gear pulls and my egt's stayed under 1600 the whole time at 9 psi! I am so happy that I finally got this bullshit problem fixed.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
dsmlightsJul-29-02 10:51 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2002
352 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27708, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 0

hey dave sorry for the question but what is FCD and VC1. What is this part of fuel system ??

thanks

DsM Power Soon to be turbo yahhhhhh

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMetalJimJul-29-02 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#27709, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 1

Allright Dave. Glad you got that cleared up.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Gude cams : test pipe : AFX UDP : ram air : Thrush glasspack : Dual air horns : Kenwood KDC 5000 : AutoCommand remote start
incomming - lower strut bars

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

TeamXtremeRSJul-29-02 11:20 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#27710, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmmm...this is very interesting indeed..your post dave has just made me start to think into more on my problem with running to lean at 8 psi on stock injectors and over 110 psi if fuel pressure..although i dont have any cel's, maybe my FCD isn't clamping at the full 4.5 volts, and making the computer not keep the injectors open long enough for more fuel? hmmm...well any way, its good to hear its figured out man

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Dave_FLJul-29-02 11:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#27711, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 3

dsm lights.... The vc1 and the FCD are used on 97 and newer cars that are turboed so the computer doesnt know the car is running on boost. Supposedly you cant run boost without one on a 97 or newer car. But its not necessarily true. Some cars without the FCd or vc1 get fuel cut when under boost.

xtremers.... You should get a s-afc so you can check the voltage on the sensor check. Or just test it out with a voltage tester. I didnt think my car would run boost well without it but it does. Before I would run rich in 1st and second gear then in third it would lean out like crazy. Now its rich in all gears

Dave

420aVengerJul-29-02 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#27712, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 4

I did a few 1st through 4th pulls w/ no FCD troubleshooting a problem. Never got any sort of fuel cut either. I'm kinda sluggish and boggy in areas now so maybe I'll try w/ out it for awhile.

TeamXtremeRSJul-29-02 12:01 PM
6329 posts,
#27713, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 0

HOly crap!!!! Well I had my volt meter with me tonight cause i was doing some pulls and watching my o2 voltages, so i thought i would test the voltage directly across the FCD. I tested directly across the 2 black and red wires at the FCD with the voltmeter and got 4.01 volts with the ignition on, but not running! Do you guys think this could be my problem? It should be at 4.5 volts right? Damn, if this is it, dave, i owe you man! Haha without even trying to help

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamJasonESi_TJul-29-02 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#27714, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 0

I ALWAYS looked at that FCD FIRST when I had the EXACT same problems Dave. I just figured you'd have already looked there. Every damn time someone is lean (or appears so because of high EGT's or low A/F ratios) with their turbokits, and the fuel pressure is good, everyone shoudl always suspect their FCD of being bad. I've had both bad VC1's and countless bad HRC Fuel Mappers.

I say screw both of those products and do it right the first time. Get the Missing Link from Group5 Motorsports for $55. It's worth your engine not blowing!!

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamXtremeRSJul-29-02 12:21 PM
6329 posts,
#27715, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 7

>
>I say screw both of those products and do it right the first
>time. Get the Missing Link from Group5 Motorsports for $55.
> It's worth your engine not blowing!!

Yep yep, already done

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Dave_FLJul-29-02 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#27716, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 8

Yep I was getting anywhere form 3.8 -4.0 volts. Thats your problem. Get that damn FCD off of there!!!!!!!

Dave

fabry827Jul-29-02 01:39 PM
Member since Apr 14th 2002
194 posts,
#27717, "RE: FCD is off !!!! Map problem solved"
In response to Reply # 9

Dave, I went out and checked my voltage w/ my s-afc and i'm only getting 3.5. I also only get 3.7 under boost. My egts are under control, but my afr gauge is all wacked out. It shows like .01 under boost. Fuck, I'm just going to take my fcd off and see what happens. I know what you mean about the sluggishness and hesitation. Justin

justin
**1998 RS w/ 5 spd **FOR SALE**
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=117972723&dealer_id=&make=MIT&distance=25
&max_price=&model=ECLIP&advcd_on=n&end_year=2003&min_price=&certified=n&address
=43947&search_type=used&advanced=n

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #27707 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic