Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #75047
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Body work guys, get in here now!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTJul-18-04 03:14 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75047, "Body work guys, get in here now!"

Aight heres the deal fella's ... the quwheels 12 piece wide body kit is on its way to my house! i am installing it myself because i am good with fitting fiberglass but heres the big question. I am using my oem front and rear urethane bumpers since thats whats recomended to use. Now, I am planning to mold everything to the panels and bumpers but what the hell should i use to mold everything? people said to use either fglass resin or metal filler but i dont think thats gonna work right. i need something to use on the bumpers that will bond to the urethane and not crack out when it flex's if it does flex. i am planning on just using pop rivets for godd strength to hold all the pieces in place then mold over top of the rivets. anyone have any advice on what i should to bond to the metal quarter panels and fenders and front and rear bumpers?! please help peeps! thanks in advance~

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
silvereclipse30Jul-18-04 03:17 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2004
1661 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75048, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 0

superglue???

eclipse GONE....02 JETTA 1.8T chip and intake, bailey DV and N75 H valve....

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/472859

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

farmdogg55Jul-18-04 03:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2522 posts,
#75050, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 1

Well I had my rear 1/4 skirts(fibreglass) molded into my stock rear and I am pretty sure they didnt use anything special, just what they normally would to mold it to metal. I have no spiderwebbing or cracking or anything and its been there for a over a year. I even hit a curb one time and took a little chunk out of the fiberglass piece, but it didnt effect the bond one bit. Dont know if this helps or not, but good luck with the kit!

SPL_EclipseJul-18-04 03:45 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#75052, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 2

blending fiberglass to metal is not a hard thing, but you risk stress cracks at every moment you drive. a few tips:

1) drill several small holes in the metal (or urithane) at the bonding point. apply glass overlay to both the front and back sides. this will "glass rivet" it into place.

2) use a bonding adhesive on any areas of overlap.

http://www.lordcorp.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=420

this will keep strain off of the glassed over areas. use the bonding agent to secure the new pieces into place, and then glass over the top.

3) CLEAN EVERYTHING. grease and oils (from the skin or other sources) is the worst possible thing to have trapped between two bonding surfaces. scuff up all surfaces to which glass is being applied in a random fashion. remember...prep work is what makes it last.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

berightbackJul-18-04 03:48 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2003
624 posts,
#75053, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 3

when they installed the rear quarter skirts on my ex-girlfriends probe they used some sort of cocking material to fill the seams, and then molded over it with fiber glass...
I don't know if that helps

eclipse982nrRSTJul-18-04 04:45 PM
6314 posts,
#75055, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 3

okay so is this what i should do ....
after i line the piece up and mark it, put like some fiberglass gel (so it doesnt run like resin) on the back of the piece and stick it to body or bumper. then drill small holes and use pop rivets to hold them in place better. then after all that dries and what not, apply a thin layer of fiberglass resin across the seems, let it dry, then a small line of glue over that and sand it real smooth, then BAM, prime the biatch and paint it! sound good or correct me in any way please.

Kaoz78Jul-18-04 05:57 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#75056, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-18-04 05:58 PM by Kaoz78

No man you got it a little off. Line up the kit and drill holes for your rivets. Take it back off, this will give you something to line it back up with. Then I would say use something like liquid nails on the surfaces that will touch. Kinda like glueing it to the metal. Put it back on and pop in your pop rivets. This will now have the two joined so they won't move. Then drill holes in the bumper and the peice you are molding to it along the seam they make.

Would look something like this:

O O O O O O O O O
------------------------
O O O O O O O O O

Now when you put the resin on it will seep into these holes and have something to grab on to instead of just making it look smooth. Then sand, sand, sand and sand some more. When you think you are done sanding, hit it with a little primer to show the low spots. Add some filler and sand, sand, sand, and sand some more.

95GSEclipseJul-18-04 07:15 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2003
662 posts,
#75060, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 6

12 body kit will look cool with the integra decah homemade lambo hinges u make

Klein567 - Ya i heard about that ticket you and Sean got.
Clint485 - Stupid chick cop...worst part was she looked like a dude.
Klein567- Thats becuase all hot cops are strippers

djtrickeeJul-18-04 07:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#75061, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 7

^^^^ LOL!!!!

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

tim97rsJul-19-04 02:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#75063, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 95GSEclipse
12 body kit will look cool with the integra decah homemade lambo hinges u make

and will look awesome with that ricer cheeze dick fake BOV of his, which just SCREAMS, i have a small dick!

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

eclipse982nrRSTJul-19-04 02:12 AM
6314 posts,
#75064, "RE: Body work guys, get in here now!"
In response to Reply # 9

actually i am using the decah civic hinges on my car right now so thank you and my bov is pretty damn loud and isnt fake goofball. thanks for the comments though, i appreciate them.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #75047 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic