Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #99263
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
505racerJun-27-07 08:11 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2007
62 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99263, "Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"

i want to dye them all from the ugly gray color to a nice black... do i have to take them off to do it right..
whats the best way to accomplish this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
DanKidJun-28-07 04:47 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99265, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-28-07 04:49 AM by DanKid

I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse982nrRSTJun-28-07 05:24 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99266, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DanKid
I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.

does it scratch easily?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

505racerJun-28-07 07:06 AM
62 posts,
#99268, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-28-07 07:09 AM by 505racer

Originally posted by DanKid

whats the expensive way?...can you post pics please?
would it look better to wet sand the clear a little after it dries..

Cruz

RoninEclipse2GJun-28-07 07:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99270, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 505racer
Originally posted by DanKid I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.
whats the expensive way?...can you post pics please? would it look better to wet sand the clear a little after it dries..

only if you're looking to have a glass like surface.

I'm using the krylon fusion satin black, it looks AMAZING! the only problem I've had was I put the drivers door back in the car too soon and marred up the paint a little, if you paint the pieces leave them out of the car for the full curing period (7 days) before reinstalling them. DanKid's process is almost exactly what I've been doing just I didn't use the adhesion promoter (the krylon Fusion doesn't need it)

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

R34EclipseJun-28-07 11:22 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#99272, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-28-07 11:25 AM by R34Eclipse

the best way? get factory black panels, i dont care who you are, paint will scrape or flake eventually and will never look the same as a true black panel. end of story. unless you want some color not offered why not just get the real deal. Paint only what you HAVE to.

I did mine and my girls interior (profesionall since thats what i do) sprayed adhesion promoter through a gun and ppg paint through a gun and they both looked great and you could take a key to the platic panels and not scratch the color off, and I had a spare panel, that i tested on and after about 10-12 months the paint began to scratch easier. Trust me it will let up at some point.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex
-----------------------------------

eclipse982nrRSTJun-28-07 11:49 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99273, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
the best way? get factory black panels, i dont care who you are, paint will scrape or flake eventually and will never look the same as a true black panel. end of story. unless you want some color not offered why not just get the real deal. Paint only what you HAVE to. I did mine and my girls interior (profesionall since thats what i do) sprayed adhesion promoter through a gun and ppg paint through a gun and they both looked great and you could take a key to the platic panels and not scratch the color off, and I had a spare panel, that i tested on and after about 10-12 months the paint began to scratch easier. Trust me it will let up at some point.

Good Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

RoninEclipse2GJun-28-07 12:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99274, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRSTGood Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.

yup, full black interiors are rarer than my wife's porsche (1000 made) and are worth their weight in precious metals

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

505racerJun-28-07 01:30 PM
62 posts,
#99275, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRSTGood Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.
yup, full black interiors are rarer than my wife's porsche (1000 made) and are worth their weight in precious metals

so its not jus somthing you can go order at the dealership or anything

Cruz

DanKidJun-28-07 01:35 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#99276, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-28-07 01:35 PM by DanKid

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST does it scratch easily?

Mine hasn't scratched yet but I have yet to test it out on items like the door sills or armrest which are rubbed up against a lot in a daily basis. I guess that the expensive way of painting interior pieces would be to get it done at an auto body shop where they will charge you an arm and a leg but they will leave it with that mirror like shine.

Moderatorcs82685Jun-28-07 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#99277, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 505racer
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
so its not jus somthing you can go order at the dealership or anything

You can if you want to pay an arm and a leg

Side note, I got my black door panels for $100 shipped, but they are not power door panels. There's also a black dash I've got my eye on at the local junkyard but cash is much shorter than I thought

Back on topic, I used the duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray on the covers for the taillights in the trunk just as a test and when I got my black door panels I compared and it matched perfectly (Flat black). All I did was clean the parts up with some soap and water and spray on a few light coats. Because I didn't sand, the pieces still have that textured look they have from the factory. Sure these aren't pieces I've tested for durability, hell they don't even see sunlight, but I am very tempted to now use the stuff on any interior piece that doesn't see too much action, such as all the panels in the rear seat and the pillars.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #99263 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic