Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105718
View in threaded mode

Subject: "bike rack?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Jun-07-12 11:02 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105718, "bike rack?"

are there any bike racks that fit our cars? i see a lot of the universal trunk-mount type that say they fit hatchbacks as well, but the pics i've seen usually just show civic type hatchbacks (where the rear of the car is mostly vertical). since the top mounting point on our cars would be at the top of the hatch, above the glass, i'm not sure if that causes an problems with the geometry or mounting.

if anyone's got pics of a bike rack on their car or suggestions on what rack to get, it'd be greatly appreciated.

also, i'm not really looking to install a hitch for a hitch type rack or looking to install a roof rack.

thanks!

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
FotowntalonJun-07-12 11:15 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105719, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 0

A bike rack?

A bike rack? I don't even own a bike, let alone many bike's that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I going to do, with a bike rack.

I realize this does not help you, but I had to.

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-07-12 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#105720, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Sorry_i_WinJun-07-12 02:24 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#105721, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-07-12 02:27 PM by Sorry_i_Win

Yeah... my thoughts exactly.

You'd probably be better of buying another vehicle that would be appropriate for such a thing. Sorry, but putting a bike rack on sports car is like putting a tractor trailer hitch on a Geo Metro.

But if you really want to do it, look here: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207177

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

95_ESi_PersonJun-08-12 01:22 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#105722, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 2

The easiest and cheapest option is a follows: Fold down back seat, remove front wheel (or both if you wish), place in car... no rack needed.

On a side note, Saris shows that the Bones model will fit on the Eclipse without the wing option. I have the Bones 2 and use it on the Charger with no issues, but like you said, different style trunk. I will see if it can fit on my Eclipse with a short wing over the weekend.

MCubed45Jun-08-12 07:18 PM
2706 posts,
#105723, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
The easiest and cheapest option is a follows: Fold down back seat, remove front wheel (or both if you wish), place in car... no rack needed. On a side note, Saris shows that the Bones model will fit on the Eclipse without the wing option. I have the Bones 2 and use it on the Charger with no issues, but like you said, different style trunk. I will see if it can fit on my Eclipse with a short wing over the weekend.

thanks!

i put my bike in the trunk the other day and it was quite a PITA even w/ the front wheel and seat off. there's also no way i'd be able to fit a 2nd bike (would mostly be biking places w/ the GF).

i'm also wingless so that's not really an issues.

-marc

740 turbo brickJun-08-12 07:22 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#105724, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
A bike rack? A bike rack? I don't even own a bike, let alone many bike's that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I going to do, with a bike rack. I realize this does not help you, but I had to.

lol, Waynes World.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

95_ESi_PersonJun-12-12 12:03 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#105729, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 5

The Bones 2 would work, but the placement of the lower feet would be on the top of the bumper or on the center section of the tail lights. It looks dicey at best.

MCubed45Jun-16-12 06:04 AM
2706 posts,
#105730, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 7

hmmm found this on google. not sure what rack that is tho.

-marc

97 DemonJul-10-12 12:21 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2011
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#105784, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-10-12 12:22 PM by 97 Demon

I will get my girls bike rack next time I am over there and get you the name of a rack that works even with the 2Gb talon wing on, it had to be installed with the straps reversed but it worked.

*Edited for spelling and grammar*

ezJul-16-12 08:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#105786, "RE: bike rack?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by MCubed45
hmmm found this on google. not sure what rack that is tho.

That is awesome! I want it.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105718 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic