Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #100477
View in threaded mode

Subject: "So I took up powdercoating..." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic
fasterimageFeb-04-08 03:08 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2007
69 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100477, "So I took up powdercoating..."
Feb-04-08 03:50 PM by fasterimage

So back in November, I took up powdercoating. I started with some metal things I had laying around and then started to Do a few things on my car. I really like the finish I get now....It took a lil while to ge the hang of it but I'm starting to get pretty good, haha. My friends are bringin me some of there car parts to start coating. I have spent a good 1200-1500 on supplies to have everything I need, but It's definetly a fun hobby. Imma Post up some pics of the things I started powdercoating On my car. Anyone else on here try powdercoating?

I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan.

These are done with Black Texture--

Here is a speed square I hit with full gloss black--look how it gets into the details--

Here are some brackets & things im doing for a friend, this pic is how I got them---

Here they are Blasted and ready for coating--

And finally here they are Blinged up in in silver, and the other 2 pieces in black--

If anyone takes a liking to this thread, I'll post up more pics of things I do when im bored with this hobby.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
eclipse982nrRSTFeb-04-08 03:59 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100478, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-04-08 03:59 PM by eclipse982nrRST

Looks cool man. At what address should I send my wiper arms to get done?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterimageFeb-04-08 04:04 PM
69 posts,
#100479, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 1

I dont know how this board will tolerate it. But I'd be willing to Powdercoat some stuff for people...I dont have any huge oven or anything, just small things. Help yall out with your cars, it's just my hobby. I'll shoot you a pm. thanks for the props though!

ramsey95ESiFeb-04-08 06:54 PM
Member since Jan 07th 2008
63 posts,
#100483, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 2

My buddy and i just started painting. Got an "alright" compressor and some generic paint so get the feel for it. I guess powdercoating would be fun to learn.

Seems to look a little better on most things. Hell, even then you could do your IC piping. stuff looks great though!

2gnt (period)

fasterimageFeb-04-08 07:11 PM
69 posts,
#100484, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 3

thanks for the kind words. The one thing I can tell you about powdercoating is, You can just watch your electric Bill Soar, My wife loves me. My first month, I upped the Bill a lil over $100 bucks over normal. And Im on a better pace yet this month! hehe, Im glad "she" loves me!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-08 03:33 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#100485, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 4

Ah so you have the kit or the setup where you use a spare residential oven to do it? Or did you buy a commercial oven? I have thought about it too but I dont want to setup an oven in the garage and sticking the parts in my regualr oven wouldnt go over too well

fasterimageFeb-05-08 03:44 AM
69 posts,
#100486, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 5

No you Definetly dont wanna put it in your oven you eat out of, Cuz It destroys an oven. My first household oven lasted about 2 weeks, and I bought a Commercial oven from a restraunt auction a little bit bigger, and am currently using that. For a hobby I dont think I will be buying a $20,000 PC oven anytime soon. It's fun, I thought i could get started for $1000 and was like okay awesome, and I should have kept all my reciepts, but I have reciepts for about $1500 of it now, but I know I have passed that as well. And on a side note, dont use a gas oven, as Powder is HIGHLY flammable!

fasterimageFeb-05-08 03:49 AM
69 posts,
#100487, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 6

So I am running out of stuff to powdercoat...Maybe someone on here can start sending me stuff. Well anywayz there I was the other night, I had to take a Crap, so I got done and was washing my hands and noticed the faucet chrome was starting to peel.....Hmmmmmm

so here you go faucet before....

and my new faucet in black to match the grout, lol....

Glad to see so many people responding....makes me think I really am doing a good job.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-08 06:39 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#100488, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 7

Man thats great. Eh, in terms of other hobbies, you picked a cheap one. Think about it...its a bit costly up front but you can easily do it and enjoy it while you make a few bucks at the same time.

beats my 15k hobby of skydiving that keeps costing me money...lol

fasterimageFeb-05-08 06:47 AM
69 posts,
#100489, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, Compared to yours it's cheap. But I dont get the thrill you get. I just get a few hours of work, and a house that starting to look like a 5 year old colored it. I have since done all the cabinet handles in red....haha, my wife is not home. I'll pose her reply later, if im still alive, I think next I will do all the door knobs. in like blue or something. im running out of metal to PC.

fasterimageFeb-05-08 06:48 AM
69 posts,
#100490, "RE: So I took up powdercoating..."
In response to Reply # 9
Feb-05-08 06:50 AM by fasterimage

But, I just thought of the bright side, if she hates what I have done that means a trip to lowes for her new stuff, to fix what I PC'd but for me that means tool shopping. haha

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #100477 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic