Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9773
View in threaded mode

Subject: "blown head, need your opinions" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
chrysler kidSep-14-04 09:41 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9773, "blown head, need your opinions"

recently my timing belt on the camshaft skiped 19 teeth and fucked my head. i was quoted $2000 from forced performance to completely rebuild my head and install and re seal everything.

i was told by a local dsm mechanic that i trust that if i buy a used head i NEED to have the head resurfaced by a machine shop

what should i do

11.65 @ 115

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
BigBaldSep-14-04 09:55 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9774, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 0

to me i would base this decision on the goals of my car. If you plan on doing some serious things with the car, I would go ahead and get it rebuilt by FP. IF not then get the used one.....and you don't always have to get them resurfaced altho it is HIGHLY recommended.

If it were me i get a full rebuild.

PS How did is slip 19 teeth?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

chrysler kidSep-14-04 10:02 AM
7411 posts,
#9775, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-14-04 10:03 AM by chrysler kid

tensioner was misaligned, what i thought was fuel cut at high boost was actually one of the camshafts skipping a tooth, right before my car died it stalled, i tried to start it by poppong it back in gear and the crank moved but the cams didnt. my goal for this car is 270whp

11.65 @ 115

FlyinEsiSep-14-04 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9776, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 2

270 whp can be achieved easily enough with a stock head. I and Jerrome can attest to that. If it is much cheaper to buy a used one and have it resurfaced, do it since you aren't going for high HP numbers.

Pitchblack98Sep-14-04 10:57 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#9777, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
270 whp can be achieved easily enough with a stock head. I and Jerrome can attest to that. If it is much cheaper to buy a used one and have it resurfaced, do it since you aren't going for high HP numbers.

yup... the gsx im building now had 262 awhp before i tore it apart for a rebuilt on a stock head... so you should be good.

PowerEclipsesSep-14-04 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#9778, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 4

310 AWHP w/o my cams....

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

FlyinEsiSep-14-04 12:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9779, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 5

Dylan, where did you go to get your AWHP dyno run done?? I want to make a run down to Denver or Ft Collins to get mine dynoed. How much was it, did they tune it as well?

Pitchblack98Sep-14-04 12:48 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#9780, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Dylan, where did you go to get your AWHP dyno run done?? I want to make a run down to Denver or Ft Collins to get mine dynoed. How much was it, did they tune it as well?

I didnt do the dyno run. They guy who had the car before me did. But there is a shop in Parker about 30 mins southeast of Denver that has an AWD dyno. Its called Mac Autosports. There are a lot of ppl around here that are very knowledgeable in the 4g63. Check out www.rmdsm.org for some local help. heres a link to macs website. http://www.macautosport.com/

chrysler kidSep-14-04 05:37 PM
7411 posts,
#9781, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 7

its a stock rebuild, im just wondering do i really ned it resurfased?

11.65 @ 115

PowerEclipsesSep-14-04 05:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#9782, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 8

do it, that way you know you wont have any problems in the future

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

PowerEclipsesSep-14-04 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#9783, "RE: blown head, need your opinions"
In response to Reply # 9

imo.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7921619447&category=33617

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9773 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic