Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectblown head, need your opinions
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=9773
9773, blown head, need your opinions
Posted by chrysler kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
recently my timing belt on the camshaft skiped 19 teeth and fucked my head. i was quoted $2000 from forced performance to completely rebuild my head and install and re seal everything.

i was told by a local dsm mechanic that i trust that if i buy a used head i NEED to have the head resurfaced by a machine shop

what should i do
9774, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
to me i would base this decision on the goals of my car. If you plan on doing some serious things with the car, I would go ahead and get it rebuilt by FP. IF not then get the used one.....and you don't always have to get them resurfaced altho it is HIGHLY recommended.

If it were me i get a full rebuild.

PS How did is slip 19 teeth?
9775, RE: blown head, need your opinions
tensioner was misaligned, what i thought was fuel cut at high boost was actually one of the camshafts skipping a tooth, right before my car died it stalled, i tried to start it by poppong it back in gear and the crank moved but the cams didnt. my goal for this car is 270whp

9776, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
270 whp can be achieved easily enough with a stock head. I and Jerrome can attest to that. If it is much cheaper to buy a used one and have it resurfaced, do it since you aren't going for high HP numbers.
9777, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by Pitchblack98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyinEsi
270 whp can be achieved easily enough with a stock head. I and Jerrome can attest to that. If it is much cheaper to buy a used one and have it resurfaced, do it since you aren't going for high HP numbers.

yup... the gsx im building now had 262 awhp before i tore it apart for a rebuilt on a stock head... so you should be good.
9778, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by PowerEclipses, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
310 AWHP w/o my cams....
9779, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dylan, where did you go to get your AWHP dyno run done?? I want to make a run down to Denver or Ft Collins to get mine dynoed. How much was it, did they tune it as well?
9780, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by Pitchblack98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Dylan, where did you go to get your AWHP dyno run done?? I want to make a run down to Denver or Ft Collins to get mine dynoed. How much was it, did they tune it as well?

I didnt do the dyno run. They guy who had the car before me did. But there is a shop in Parker about 30 mins southeast of Denver that has an AWD dyno. Its called Mac Autosports. There are a lot of ppl around here that are very knowledgeable in the 4g63. Check out www.rmdsm.org for some local help. heres a link to macs website. http://www.macautosport.com/

9781, RE: blown head, need your opinions
its a stock rebuild, im just wondering do i really ned it resurfased?
9782, RE: blown head, need your opinions
do it, that way you know you wont have any problems in the future
9783, RE: blown head, need your opinions
imo.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7921619447&category=33617
9784, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by PowerEclipses
do it, that way you know you wont have any problems in the future

yup..
Unless u like blown head gaskets
9785, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Deck the head. Do it.
9786, RE: blown head, need your opinions
Posted by SaberKhan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Get the specs for tolerances, get a good straight-edge and a set of feeler gauges. Divide the mating surface into "zones" and check each zone thoroughly in different directions. That, or just get it resurfaced, its cheap while the head is off. Anytime the head is removed the mating surface can distort or warp.
I generated this page in 0.010059833526611 seconds, executing 7 queries.