Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8034
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Strange Sound at start up" Previous topic | Next topic
amljbsAug-22-05 03:39 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8034, "Strange Sound at start up"

I just bought a 98 GST. Car looks great and runs perfect however every morning when I start it for the first time it makes this sound like a baseball card in bike spokes just slightly. The sound is coming from the pulleys/belts. Once the car has warmed up the first time it never does it again. I can shut it off for three hours and restart it with no noise. It only happens when it sits overnight. Thanks in advance.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
BMPDirkAug-22-05 04:25 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8035, "RE: Strange Sound at start up"
In response to Reply # 0

lifter tick ?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

amljbsAug-22-05 05:13 AM
587 posts,
#8036, "RE: Strange Sound at start up"
In response to Reply # 1

Dont think so there is no noise coming from the engine itself its something on the side there.

1998 Eclipse GST

BigBaldAug-22-05 05:32 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8037, "RE: Strange Sound at start up"
In response to Reply # 2

You check the belts and the pulleys?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

amljbsAug-22-05 06:38 AM
587 posts,
#8038, "RE: Strange Sound at start up"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-22-05 06:53 AM by amljbs

Belt dressing stops the sound after the belts run through for a second or so. Its just odd Ive never heard belts make a noise like that. Im still thinking its a pulley. I probably need to just remove the belts and replace them. The car sat stored for three months before I bought it so its possible there may be some dry rot on the belts.

1998 Eclipse GST

amljbsAug-22-05 11:35 AM
587 posts,
#8039, "RE: Strange Sound at start up"
In response to Reply # 4

Okay I found the problem. The guy I bought the car from sprayed something that has the feel of glue all over the engine compartment to make it look glossy and there was a big gob of it right on my power steering pump pulley.

1998 Eclipse GST

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8034 Previous topic | Next topic