Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7649
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Help with axle removal" Previous topic | Next topic
RST95eclipseFeb-27-06 05:59 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7649, "Help with axle removal"

I'm attempting to remove my axles. I removed the head to have it sent off to be built along with my 6 bolt block. Currently the car is sitting with the 7 bolt block, tranny, and transfer case, etc. I've been trying to get the drivers side axle out. I've banged on the bearing housing with a rubber mallet, hard plastic mallet, framing hammer, and a 5lb hammer. Nothing. The axle rotates (as much as the tranny allows it to - very little). I had a Honda guy look at it, and he stated that his "just slide right out."

Can anyone help my troubles?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dmt111701Feb-27-06 06:29 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2004
130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7650, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 0

use some pb blaster where it joins the hub. let it soak. then spray some more.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DSMxTSiFeb-28-06 02:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7651, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
I had a Honda guy look at it, and he stated that his "just slide right out." Can anyone help my troubles?

Yeah, don't let Honduh guys help out with DSMs!

Maybe you've already tried this, but you really need to get in there with a large prybar where the axle slides into the tranny.

RST95eclipseFeb-28-06 07:25 AM
403 posts,
#7652, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 2

I will try both. Thank you very much guys. Do you think it's being held up at the tranny or at the axle bearing?

DSMxTSiFeb-28-06 10:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7653, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 3

There's a clip on the spline where the axle slides into the tranny, sometimes it's a bitch to break that free. Sometimes it comes out easily.
Did you unbolt the carrier bearing from the block?

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-28-06 10:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#7654, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DSMxTSi
There's a clip on the spline where the axle slides into the tranny, sometimes it's a bitch to break that free. Sometimes it comes out easily. Did you unbolt the carrier bearing from the block?

I came here to say this.

DSMxTSiFeb-28-06 11:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7655, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Originally posted by DSMxTSi There's a clip on the spline where the axle slides into the tranny, sometimes it's a bitch to break that free. Sometimes it comes out easily. Did you unbolt the carrier bearing from the block?
I came here to say this.

Great minds think alike, huh?! j/k

RST95eclipseFeb-28-06 02:30 PM
403 posts,
#7656, "RE: Help with axle removal"
In response to Reply # 6

I ended up unbolting the bearing housing bracket thing. Came out just fine. Now my problem is getting it through the wishbone thing inside the suspension.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7649 Previous topic | Next topic