Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8486
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
NHH223Apr-21-09 09:10 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8486, "2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."

Alright, most people don't know me here, so this is kinda a general post/introduction and question to anyone. I'll start with the history of my money, my car, and my future, for both.

I bought my '95 GS-T 5-sp with 119XXX miles on it. It wasn't running due to a bad TPS. TPS turned out to be a un-tensioned t-belt, crappy coil-overs ($40 off ebay), a ridiculous wing, not running for 2 yrs in the New England weathers (cold winters!) and then plugs and wires were also shot too, along with the stock 2G bov having a crack on itself, and the nipple for the vaccum line breaking off.

The car has a Clutch Masters Stage 3 with aluminum fly-wheel, Injen intake and tokico non-adj. After I did the timing belt, battery, oil change, TPS, Mag 8.5mm wires and NGK 7es plugs, Apex'i BOV and UIP she was running good and I failed my state inspection due to 1) ball joint and 2) emissions. Here's where it gets good.

In Dec, I left my job at a local pizza shop due to a lot of crap. Medical, absences, and lack of benefits. My car as of now, is still "R" rejected for emissions. I have no cash to pay for anything. I failed for running rich, and am in search of stock 2G pipes and BOV so I can re-cirrculate for the day of the inspection. I also have a stock cat to install, and am in need of 4 new tires and another ball-joint, maybe more.

I was offered a job that will pay around $50k a year, so I am going for that. My concern is the money for my car, and how I can get it settled. If I get $50k/yr I am going to buy a daily driver, mainly an STi (AWD for NE winters) and then garage my GS-T. Granted I get it the sticker for emissions, what should I do to modify it? I'm going to fix everything wrong with it for now, from the guage cluster being inaccurate, the leaking sunroof, and the holes in the hatch from the ebay wing being drilled on it.

This job doesn't start for another couple weeks, but I am in debt now! Maybe some of you know how to be living poor? Esp. with a DSM, it sucks! I want to know what some of you guys think I should do with my DSM in the future, interior/exterior, engine/performance, and handling.

And also, is it dumb to turn my $3200 10yr old car into a street racer (I wanna destroy V8s and SRT-4s), and buy a $32,000 daily driver?

Let me know, if I posted this in the wrong forum, let me know and then delete it. I'm sorry it's so LONG but no one really knows me, and I just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. Thanks, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vandy420aApr-28-05 07:28 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8487, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by NHH223
And also, is it dumb to turn my $3200 10yr old car into a street racer (I wanna destroy V8s and SRT-4s), and buy a $32,000 daily driver?

Yes. Make the GS-T reliable and use the STI as a V8 Killer. Or, dare I say it, sell the GST and buy a camry or something cheap/reliable for daily driving. FWD severely limits your ability to run with ponycars. An evo, on the other hand...

Also, I'm not sure how you're running well in the first place w/o recirculating, but you NEED to do that. See sig quote below. Some may say otherwise, but its just not worth it. Get a 1g BOV, crush it, and be done with it. If you MUST recirculate, you won't pass emissions unless you get a GM MAFT (I think, but i'm not sure on that. Its just not worth it.)

You really should read up on VFAQ.com, the 2g upgrade path has been done many many times before. Otherwise, welcome to the site!

matt

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NHH223Apr-28-05 09:33 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
#8488, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 1

Well, I have a few lame logical reasons to race the GS-T and daily drive the STi.

1) AWD is KEY in New England Winters
2) It is new, and will not break every other week
3) Gas mileage seems great with the 6th gear (sink it in 6th at 35mph, LOL)
4) It is new, Subaru, (im a Mitsu guy) and I don't wanna break shit modifying it
5) 4 doors = driving friends around, not racing
6) An EVO 8 is Mitsu, I'm kinda tired of Mitsus (2nd Eclipse)
7) It's good enough so I won't modify 2 cars at once (big no-no) and has the iron-tough stuff like AWD, 4 doors, trunk space, and visibility (when you're 5'5" sitting all the way back in an Eclipse, you can't see sh!t!)

GS-T wise...

1) I have put too much money and work just to get rid of it
2) It is my race car, LOL
3) I love Eclipses as racers
4) FWD = Challenge
5) My GS shoulda been my racer, but now the GS-T is

Oh, I know of 3 ways to fix venting

1) don't (HKS, Greddy, Stock, 1G re-cirrculate it)
2) Apex'i S-AFC II (controls de-acceleration A/F)
3) GM MAF

If I get the sticker with the stock 2G BOV, I wanna throw the GS-T in my garage, get the S-AFC II and every other Eclipse part KNOWN TO MAN and get that thing on the road fully modded in a couple months. Granted I get this $50k/yr job. My path of mods is kinda laid out in front of me, but a question for help is...

Do I modify exhaust, suspension, int/ext, then go to the turbo work?
If I upgrade my turbo, I'd prefer to rebuild my engine and of course the trans that pops out of reverse at the same time, which would be a $10,000 project, which I would chip away at for about 6 months. Should I support the suspension and dashing good looks of my car? Or dive into the engine work? Thanks, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

a_miller_76Apr-29-05 01:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8489, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-29-05 01:34 AM by a_miller_76

Don't buy an Evo or STI. Mod your GST for racing and buy something like a used Legacy Wagon or something. Don't spend $32000 on a daily driver. Mod the GST, buy a reliable cheap used AWD car, and read this site. www.vfaq.com

Diceman19Apr-29-05 04:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#8490, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 3

and recirculate your bov unless you get the maft. until then, there will be a lot of frowns towards you from this section.

a_miller_76Apr-29-05 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8491, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Diceman19
and recirculate your bov unless you get the maft. until then, there will be a lot of frowns towards you from this section.

This can't be said enough.

HybriDSMApr-29-05 04:54 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#8492, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-29-05 04:56 AM by HybriDSM

While I certainly would think making the AWD car the race car is a more cost effective pursuit, I certainly will not tell you to change your plans. Just be aware that making your FWD car you V-8 killer will mean a considerable amount of money into an LSD as well as a lot of tires (slicks/radials, street tires and lots of them).

Generally, it's just alot more bang for your buck to get the AWD and kill V-8's with that, but you can certainly beat up on the big boys with a well driven and modded FWD too. It's just alot more labor and wheel time to get it down right.

As far as venting, stop. Please. Recirculate your BOV back into the intake. Or buy the GM MAF/MAFT and set it up blow through style. Please don't leave it vented. I cannot stress this enough. There are absolutely zero reasonable reasons to vent with a stock MAS. None.

As far as mod paths to take:

First, read vfaq.com until your eyes bleed.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/2gturbo/
http://www.machv.com/goinfasenand.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/2gturbo/suspension.php (Handling)

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aApr-29-05 05:15 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8493, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 6

An SAFC-II will not enable you to vent

P.S.--I'm FWD too and I regret not just shelling out for AWD pretty much every day.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

97eclipse97Apr-29-05 06:02 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#8494, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

Well im not going to yell at you about venting, since its been done enough, however, i will offer you this:

I just got my 95 gsx. to start, the suspension was shot, so i got prokits with kyb agx's. My clutch is just about all done, so im getting an act 2600 with a streetlite flywheel. (im also replacing all belts and tensioners, including timing, replacing water pump, plugs, etc) i also have a walbro 255 that i will install soon

after this, im getting a 1g crushed and a new boost gauge, egt gauge, and mbc. then probably a turbo back exhaust, down pipe, o2 sensor, and a k&n fipk, followed by a fmic. sometime during this, i will get a laptop and dsmlink, and a safc.

then finally i will get some 660's and a ported evo III

this is my daily driver, so no huge turbo yet...but it will come...

hope this helps

EvMan2345Apr-29-05 06:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#8495, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

LOL- on the other boards, we used to hear "sell it and buy a turbo" now here in the turbo section we hear "sell it and buy an AWD"...

but anyways- yea, i had AWD (90 GSX) and i loved it. While others were still spinning, i was gone. I loved it- even the new england winters (i live in CT) my car was unstoppable in the snow. Nothing stood in my way. Get the kinks worked out when you get some money- recirculate the BOV like the others said- and good luck with emissions...

Evan B
97 GS- FOR SALE
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-29-05 07:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8496, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 9

I have a complete set of stock IC "pipes" including a "good" (lol) 2G BOV. I have the recirc pipe also around here somewhere. PM me if you need it.
I'm in NE also so if you wanted, you can come get it or meet me or whatever...
I can also show you how much fun a modded FWD car is so you can tell those guys up there ^^^ to go to hell.
The only time I REALLY wish I had AWD is when it rains or snows.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8486 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic