Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28451
View in threaded mode

Subject: "fabricating a new crossmember" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uDec-23-05 06:08 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28451, "fabricating a new crossmember"

in chasis fab im going to be working on a new front crossmember and underbody brace for the front suspension. this will be rigid as hell and will not only protect the engine and oil pan, considerably stiffen up the chasis but will clear the 2.4L oil pan if you want to do a swap and/or keep the balance shafts. if anything, you'll just be able to have a larger oil pan and less fabrication. ill be making it out of chromoly steel as a project and will be professionally welded and will fit perfect.

if anyone is interested, i can make a jig and make a few if anyone wants one let me know. PM me.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
TeamDR1665Dec-23-05 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28452, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 0

That sounds pretty cool, Josh. Another idea that might be cool would be to put an aluminum aero plate under it that would smooth airflow at speed. You could put a couple extractor vents in it help pull air through the FMIC/radiator and backside of the engine to lower intake mani temps a hair.

Just an idea, there. (Extra credit!)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hs_elrodDec-23-05 07:56 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#28454, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DR1665
That sounds pretty cool, Josh. Another idea that might be cool would be to put an aluminum aero plate under it that would smooth airflow at speed. You could put a couple extractor vents in it help pull air through the FMIC/radiator and backside of the engine to lower intake mani temps a hair. Just an idea, there. (Extra credit!)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't an extractor under the car cause some amount of lift?

I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion.

turbo8uDec-25-05 10:37 AM
10552 posts,
#28461, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 2

i dont know driggs, ill ask my teacher what he thinks about that.

thanks for the pm's, i responded to them all

i think im going to have them available in steel though to keep price down for you guys. we'll see.

inconel turbo manifolds, motor mounts, and crossmembers...just for you choads.

i welding.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

greygooseDec-26-05 09:49 PM
Member since Dec 11th 2005
274 posts,
#28464, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 3

Sweetness.

shazow1969Dec-27-05 08:15 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#28465, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm interested. But I need an Idea of cost range here. Let us know what we're looking at spending on it after you finish one and see what is going to have to go into making them.

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-27-05 11:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28466, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 5

get me pics and a price and we'll talk.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

extreme97ntDec-27-05 01:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#28467, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 6

If the price isn't ridiculous I will take one.

www.cnnmotorsports.com

ModeratormicyekDec-28-05 08:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#28468, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by extreme97nt
If the price isn't ridiculous I will take one.

me too.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

extreme97ntDec-31-05 03:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#28472, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 8

Any update yet?

www.cnnmotorsports.com

turbo8uDec-31-05 12:19 PM
10552 posts,
#28473, "RE: fabricating a new crossmember"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by extreme97nt
Any update yet?

im still on vacation

ill be done with it within 6 weeks, i have a lot of things on my plate

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28451 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic